shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133670 - 17/02/08 10:49 AM buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really wish that we could respond publicly to the buy and sell section. It is really inconvenient to both the buyer and seller to have to negotiate through PM. I want to sell my seats but because I was the last to respond to his PM, I can't send him another. I would use the post count to find his profile, but it is not a link when it is P.M. form. I have my seats removed and ready to ship but I cannot get a hold of the dude because I can't write back and forth on there.

It sucks. Why were they locked in the first place? Communicating through P.M.'s is retarded because I can tell one person that I have a couple of people interested but he doesn't see it. Let it be known!

Please open the buy and sell section to commentary! Thanks!-James

Can a moderator please add a poll to this post with the following options?

the question would be Should the buy and sell section be open to replies?

-Yes
-no
-at users's request

#133671 - 17/02/08 03:34 PM Re: buy and sell
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
We tried that once..

Too many people post crap and it clutters the forum.

p.s. Smart sellers post their e-mail address in the post so that it is easier to get in touch with them. (this also works on the board becuase you can send an e-mail via the message board to a seller)

#133672 - 17/02/08 05:08 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the problem is that I cannot get in contact with XterraRacer who wants to buy my seats!!!!!

That is because he has his e-mail address disabled.

#133673 - 22/03/08 11:36 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bump

#133674 - 22/03/08 12:54 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree it is a flawed system.
I was not around in olden times when you say the ways of the past failed so I just can't see how much it clutters up the forum (unless the transaction happens to be an antenna) or why that should even matter if it makes the buyer/seller relationship easier and perhaps allows more dialog in a public arena.

#133675 - 22/03/08 01:24 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

IE-
I post I'm selling a Warn Winch (XD900i), the next 10 responses are about which is better, Warn or Superwinch? Cable or synth? Is 9000# enough? It never ends.. The end result is my winch is never sold, and the thread's convoluted w/ a bunch of superfluous BS.
smile

#133676 - 22/03/08 01:28 PM Re: buy and sell
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
IE-
I post I'm selling a Warn Winch (XD900i), the next 10 responses are about which is better, Warn or Superwinch? Cable or synth? Is 9000# enough? It never ends.. The end result is my winch is never sold, and the thread's convoluted w/ a bunch of superfluous BS.
smile
You're an optimist. Within 10 posts they'd have moved beyond those subjects and on to the pros and cons of carrying concealed weapons or whether a plane could really take off from a treadmill. [LOL]

#133677 - 22/03/08 03:41 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well then erase that shit! You are a moderator right? Set up some rules. Here are the rules for a website that I moderate at:

Alright, so here are the rules when posting in the buy and sell section:

You MUST start your thread with one or two of the following

FS-For sale
WTB-Want to buy
WTT-Want to trade
FREE-
Parting out-

If you want to buy or trade, start the thread with WTB/WTT

If I put something up for sale, nobody is allowed to say, "don't buy his, I have a better deal", or "that product will not do anything for you."

Just reminding all that this is a free country and free trade is encouraged w/o every one breathing down your neck - Laissez-faire....

Negative comments and undercutting is not allowed. If you have a better price, post in a new thread, and DO NOT sabotage someone's sale. Stick strictly to the subject and do not thread jack.

We ask that you post publicly and not through PM so that others may watch the progress. It is unfair to buyers when a product is being sold OBO, and one can claim that another non-existant buyer offered him or her a better price via PM.

Lastly, please keep the thread updated with posts such as "pending sale", "sold" or if you are still looking to sell, and do not have a lot of responses, bump your thread with either the word "bump" or lower your price accordingly.

We are counting on you to use the honor system and bid publicly. PM's WILL NOT be tracked so we ask you to be honest in your transactions

After a definite sale has been made, then the item is considered sold, and the thread will be locked

We ask that you strictly adhere to these rules. Thank you!

#133678 - 22/03/08 09:24 PM Re: buy and sell
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Buy/Sell has been working fine for years now as it is.

No bullshit, no arguing, no flaming, etc. [ThumbsUp]

Warm Regards,
-Your Local Buy/Sell Admin

#133679 - 23/03/08 01:03 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am glad that you feel that way, however you might just be speaking for yourself. Can you maybe post a poll about this? I would really appreciate it.

#133680 - 23/03/08 02:32 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you ever wander through the buy and sell and see a pair of stock nerf bars and want to chime in saying how nobody should buy those, they're just going to get bent when you take it off road...

or you see a brush guard for sale and want to give your two cents about why somebody shouldn't buy that fender bender magnifier. That's why...i've used the buy and sell successfully on many occasions, wheels, fogs,tow hook, cupholders etc. Like others are saying, post your email ahead of time and avoid PM headaches. Or learn to check ur PM's regularly

#133681 - 23/03/08 05:18 AM Re: buy and sell
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA

#133682 - 23/03/08 08:56 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, but that is why someone should change the rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone post a poll?

What we have here is a couple of people who say "no, keep it private!" So the odd for any support on my end is little to none since the majority is already in place.

So post a poll and let the members vote! At the same time maybe copy and paste the rules from my post.

Oh and I get a reply in my yahoo account when I have a PM which I check on a daily basis

#133683 - 23/03/08 09:03 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

This isn't a democracy. The buy and sell works just fine as is, your issue doesn't merit a change.

#133684 - 23/03/08 09:03 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:

Yeah I could go to ebay but I would rather sell to someone on the forums.

And this thread is not worthless, your post might have been though. Not to mention, I bet that there are plenty of people who would chime in on this if maybe there was a poll about it.

#133685 - 23/03/08 09:04 AM Re: buy and sell
Rockaholic Offline

Whata you don't seem to realize is that what you are asking for is the rules to be changed back to the way things were, which was proven not to work because the rules were changed to what they are now.

I'm sure the moderators would like to read/contribute in other thread, and not be babysitting the Buy and Sell Forum deleting posts all day.

#133686 - 23/03/08 09:21 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awww, they're like a bunch of little "quit yer bitching" easter eggs. Very festive Jeff [ThumbsUp]

#133687 - 23/03/08 10:23 AM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

OR you can copy and paste those rules make it a sticky so that people see that before posting.
Or you can post a poll which I have respectfully requested. Yes! I am trying to change the rules. I am sure that I can find a way around it.

I have sold about 5 or 6 things on here before but this time around, I had a buyer but I was not able to PM him because I was the last person to PM him saying,

"I will get back to you on Friday with the shipping price"

So I had both of my seats out, ready to go, and I couldn't contact him. He did not leave his e-mail public either so I am SOL on $325.

Do I have a right to want to make it more user friendly? Hell yeah I do.

You can call it bitching or you can STFU and send me $325 but either way,

Who are you Rockaholic? Can you do something for me? Are you an admin or a moderator? Or do you just like to stir shit up and piss people off?

#133688 - 23/03/08 10:35 AM Re: buy and sell
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
This reminds me of a situation back when I was in the airline industry. Two guys missed their flight then insisted it was because we never made a boarding announcement. Finally I said, "Look guys, as we speak, everybody else who was going to Modesto is on the airplane flying there. What does that tell you about whether or not we made a boarding announcement?"

My point is that Buy & Sell works as is for the large majority of users, especially the ones who read the rules and have a basic understanding of how communication through XOC works. That's not too much to ask. Like the newbs who are posting in there all the time asking, "Where can I get _____?" Then they're probably offended when they get no responses. If they'd have read the rules, they'd know why.

Soccerbrace, your frustration is understandable, but it's the buyer you should be annoyed with.

Just my pair of pennies.

#133689 - 23/03/08 10:47 AM Re: buy and sell
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerbrace:

What we have here is a couple of people who say "no, keep it private!"
One of those people is Me.. It is not changing. We had rules like that in the past and people abused it by thread hijacking.

I am not going to go back to that and make added work for moderators who would have to erase the crap posts in that forum.

The rules that are there work. The only time there are problems is when someone does not list a valid e-mail or does not check their PM's. And that is their fuck up.

End of story.

#133690 - 23/03/08 03:18 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carlton, it is not an invalid e-mail address issue. You have the choice to have your e-mail public or not so that is a site option (as it should be)

Additionally, I can't find how to get a list of all users. Is there such a thing? I sent him the last PM which read "I will tell you the shipping price on Friday"

Friday rolled around and I could not PM him because I was the last to send. He probably thought oh well he is not getting back to me and that is exactly what I was trying to do.

The PM's should be more user friendly then. If that was the case then this would not even be an issue.

Either way I know a way around it.

#133691 - 23/03/08 03:42 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

James,
No one around here reads the rules, except the moderators and Brent. So posting up the rules you suggest wouldn't do anything to prevent the thread jacks. Posting your poll (why are you hung up about the poll specifically...just go post the question in General or the Club House and be done with it) won't change anything as the powers that be (namely Carlton) have told you it isn't changing back to the old system.

Also, if you sold the seats once for $325 you can sell them again for $325. Relax a little, you'll live longer.

#133692 - 23/03/08 04:31 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tyler, I actually do read the rules, and just re-read them recently for a refresher.

I know how to beat the system though, so I solved my own problem with my own solution.

It will not be a problem in the future. I just hope that re-directs will be enabled in the Buy and sell forum because that is how I am going to have to go about doing it.

#133693 - 23/03/08 04:37 PM Re: buy and sell
Anonymous
Unregistered

#133694 - 23/03/08 06:27 PM Re: buy and sell
Rockaholic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by soccerbrace:
Who are you Rockaholic? Can you do something for me? Are you an admin or a moderator? Or do you just like to stir shit up and piss people off?
Anyone who's read my posts in other (now infamous) online arguments involving me can attest that when I want to stir things up and piss people off, I will be brutally forward in doing so.

You obviously haven't undertood the situation -
You posted about a suggestion from a problem you had.
You got a response in 5 hours, from the person running the board, telling you your suggestion was noted but things would not change.
You posted again - same complaint, months later
You got a second response 10 hrs later, from the Buy/Sell Admin, telling you your suggestion was noted and things would not change.

What XOC told you in the first reponse you got is accurate. What JohnnyX told you is accurate. What DBAX and Bluesky posted is accurate. From my time here, since Feb 2002, I will attest to that as well. How many times and by how many people do you need to be told that the system you want in place was tried and didn't work? (that's a rhetorical question).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal