Just an FYI:
I got a postcard explaining that some fees would be changing. Apparently this varies by locality, so I'll just explain my situation. As of January 1st, Sprint is no longer charging Federal E911 fees (40 cents per month per line) and Federal WLNP (Wireless Number Pooling And Portability, 15 cents per month per line), totaling $1.10 for the lines my wife and I have. Now, they are adding a Admin fee (75 cents per month per line) and a Regulation Fee (20 cents per month per line). This means I lost $1.10 in fees, replaced by $1.90. According to the contract, since I am now paying more (80 cents per month), I could cancel both of our lines without paying the $200 per line early termination fee.

My wife and I bought the same phone, on the same day about a year ago. Her phone is so bad that when she went into labor, she had to call me 3 times to tell me (kept dropping signal with 3-4 bars). Mine is fine. We've tried many times to get it fixed with no luck. I decided to try to use this to cancel our current contract, so we could get new phones for the "New Subscriber" pricing.

Well, I called billing to ask about the new fees, and they immediately forwarded me to their retentions department. The guy I got told me about the new fees, and said I wouldn't know if I would be negatively or positively affected until Jan 31, the end of my next billing statement. I said thank you, and hung up. I took the information he gave me, and compared what fees were going away to what fees were coming, and found out that I would now be paying 80 cents a month more.

I called back to billing and asked for retentions, as it got me there quickly last time. I explained everything to retentions, stated my dissatisfaction with my wife's phone, and told her I wanted to either upgrade both of our phones to PDA/Smartphones for online prices, or I would go elsewhere, but that I would prefer to remain with Sprint. I was quickly offered a Palm Centro for $100 (reg $399) and a Samsung IP-830W for $100 (reg $349, with no shipping or activation fees. I was courteous and polite, and definitely came out on top.

So, if you want to, call and figure out which fees are going away (there are a few others, but I don't know them, as they vary by where you're at) and compare them to the new ones (listed above, I think they're the same everywhere). Sprint told me that some people will be paying more, some paying less. If you're paying more, take advantage of this!

Lastly, I know this may sound petty to you, but after the 3 months it took me to clear up the charges incurred because Sprint reactivated my phone halfway through my tour in Iraq, I didn't feel too bad about it.