shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144264 - 22/12/06 07:14 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I think it's horrible for someone to ask for money for pulling you out... and I think it's even more horrible for someone who got pulled out not to offer some.

(i.e. money ought to change hands or the guy who got rescued is an a$$ - but it should be a thank-you and not an extortion)

#144265 - 22/12/06 07:20 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
money ought to change hands or the guy who got rescued is an a$$ - but it should be a thank-you and not an extortion
AZ has a "stupid driver" law now whereas a person who's driven into a raging wash during a monsoon storm (or any other time) and is extracated by means of the city/state, must pay (and through the nose) for services rendered. I'd spent many a summer night pulling idiots from washes in my youth.. Supplemented my teen-years income quite well over the summer months as I recall. smile

#144266 - 22/12/06 07:36 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
I think it's horrible for someone to ask for money for pulling you out... and I think it's even more horrible for someone who got pulled out not to offer some.

(i.e. money ought to change hands or the guy who got rescued is an a$$ - but it should be a thank-you and not an extortion)
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't doing it for money, I was doing it to keep from being bored off my ass while my wife was in the store. However as you stated they could of at least offered a few bucks. I know I always did when I needed to be pulled out of somewhere.

Come to think of it the ONLY time I ever said I'd pull someone out for money was when they were offroading in an off limits area at an OHV park and snapped both axles on daddys bronco. The ranger was standing right there when they came walking out asking for help. Told them I'd tow them back to the staging area for $20. When we got there the ranger promptly gave them a $100 fine for offroading in an off limits area and on top of it they had to get a flat bed tow about 80 miles to home. [Laughing]

Axle

#144267 - 22/12/06 07:58 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree at least offer a couple of bucks, just out of courtesy. Its rare I take the money unless they are somewhere they are not supposed to be in a vehicle that has no business being there.

Once I got $50 for pulling a guy out of a 3' drift for 50 ft with the winch. His minivan had no business being there. Edited - He offered the money to start and after seeing how bad he was stuck and 2 hours of work I did take it.

Wonder where Knight in Armor is.... I know just a few miles from his house the got over 4' of snow he should have some cool pics!!!

#144268 - 22/12/06 07:59 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Kaiser Offline

Yeah - if someone's being a d1ck before you help 'em then charge 'em laugh

Maybe my choice of words was bad... it's not 'horrible' to do it strictly for the money - it's just that it's a missed opportunity to be generous and really help someone in need. There's a human bonding karmic kind of thing that gets left behind with the "I'll get ya outta there for $50" statement wink

#144269 - 22/12/06 08:32 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
The courteous exchange:

Stuck driver: "Thanks for getting me out, let me give you a little cash for your troubles."

Rescuer: "Thanks for offering, but it's no problem. Hopefully if I ever get stuck, someone will be nice enough to pull me out."

My mom ran out of gas one time on the highway. Lucky for her, it was a diesel. A semi pulled over, gave her gas. She offered to pay, he declined with the same response - hopefully if I ever have it happen, someone will help me out.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#144270 - 22/12/06 08:45 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some random shots from around the area hit with snow.

near Longmont Wed Night - oh those are 40" Super Swampers.

nea Morrison

East of Colorado Springs. This is what happens when your Garage/barn is not sealed tight.

Northglenn, CO

one of the Ronin fellas... no he did not get stuck

#144271 - 22/12/06 08:47 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just had to post this one!!!

#144272 - 22/12/06 08:47 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
...good luck with getting through KS [Wave]
Funny you should say that...I plan on driving to KC on Saturday. KDOT says that I-70 is opened up, and that there are parts that are snowpacked/ice conditions. We'll see though, should be rather fun.

#144273 - 22/12/06 09:01 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Just had to post this one!!!

#144274 - 22/12/06 09:30 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone one know of other forums or sites that have more pictures. I wish we could get a snow like that here.

Also is there a place on teh forum where I can click to see posts that I responded in have since been updated?

#144275 - 22/12/06 01:11 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

I never asked for a dime, and all the time spent digging nurses out so they could get to the hospital was on a volunteer basis. The hospital (where my wife is an RN) just gave me the names and addresses, and I went to get them out. I put over 150 miles on my Frontier running around town in 2 days. I made $50 and went through 2 tanks of gas, broke a set of chains (that hit my fender, thank you very much) and was wasted last night from severe headache and plugged sinuses.

I never, ever, asked for money, and wouldn't accept it from any of the nurses that I got. But from a couple of the Dr's, oh hell yeah I did! They didn't even get out and shovel their own walk, but had a service do it. One lived on a major street that had been plowed clean, but didn't want to drive his fancy what-the-fuck-ever in case he got into an accident! Yeah, I took his $5 for gas.

The rest of the folks that pushed, pulled, dug out or yanked out around my neighborhood, never offered. One guy was in a Dodge Magnum Hemi Station Wagon AWD. He offered and wouldn't take no for an answer and looked like he was getting offended. So I took his $5 too. But that was the only one near me that offered. The rest was just karma points.

#144276 - 22/12/06 01:50 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Robot cats, ATTACK!!"

#144277 - 22/12/06 02:15 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Damn, missed the blizzard again. 3 maybe 4 inches of snow.

The real bummer is I've got gifts stuck in transit because DIA is closed. At least FedEx used Colorado Springs.

Also a set of rear axle bearings for my truck are stuck out there somewhere.......Praying for parts on Tuesday, since I hope to drive to moab on Wednesday.

Sidewalks are dry, I can see grass in front of the house.

But, I get to drive up to Denver - Sat, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Amazing to be so close to the snow, but miss nearly all of it.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#144278 - 22/12/06 06:14 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)

Our Denver customer emails our support department last night indicating that one of their toll lanes has not shown any traffic all day (the person reporting it is covering for our usual technical contact for vacation purposes).

After checking their system and not finding anything amiss, one of our support technicians checks the network camera and finds the problem:

#144279 - 22/12/06 06:21 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Da

#144280 - 22/12/06 07:13 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Too funny about that car in that pic! I actually drove right by that car and thought to myself "I could just go through the cutout in the median and strap that guy out, but the bastard abandoned it there."

Nice Technical story. Does Denver have access to that monitor as well?

Kinda like a blonde with a bottle of white out, covering the computer monitor while writing a letter.

#144281 - 22/12/06 07:59 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Does Denver have access to that monitor as well?
Yup, but the person on call that evening probably wasn't aware of how to access it. Their tech guy mounted the camera and rigged it up. He was the one that tipped us off to the IP address of the camera and suggested we check it out.

#144282 - 23/12/06 07:41 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gotta love it, drove back from Lafayette to Denver on wednesday, spent the better part of thursday digging and blasting through the drifts in between the buildings I live in. Helped dig out a local Tacoma as well...always fun considering I still have the dealer tags! Did you guys hear about the pregnant lady in Fort Collins that was taken out on a front end loader! Crazy stuff.

#144283 - 23/12/06 09:40 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Drove back from Chicago yesterday.

That sucked, but I am happy to be back!

Where's them drifts? [drink]

#144284 - 23/12/06 10:40 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Drove back from Chicago yesterday.

That sucked, but I am happy to be back!

Where's them drifts? [drink]
Since you drove from Chicago, you must know how much our weather sucks here now. I want snow.

#144285 - 27/12/06 11:09 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dammit! Another big one coming this weekend. Between 8" and a foot likely. If the storm takes the same route as the last one, could be a lot more. And I just got the wife's Xterra dug out. Damn one wheel wonders. Will you get your SAS done already Tyler! The wife needs the 4-by!

#144286 - 27/12/06 06:38 PM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Dammit! Another big one coming this weekend. Between 8" and a foot likely. If the storm takes the same route as the last one, could be a lot more. And I just got the wife's Xterra dug out. Damn one wheel wonders. Will you get your SAS done already Tyler! The wife needs the 4-by!
I gotta get the parts, my man, and that depends on the shipping companies! Sadly, the weather is not co-operating with me laugh

#144287 - 28/12/06 09:27 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Sierra's have snow, but we are getting skunked. The next big storm to hit you guys in Denver hit us yesterday. We only got a foot at the resorts. The resorts are up and running, but not a great start to the season. But you guys, jeez. Hold on, round two.

#144288 - 28/12/06 11:58 AM Re: Big one coming to Colorado, hold on-
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had to hurry out and pick up the wife a 4x4 yesterday in time for the new snow. She messed up the front end of her car sliding into curbs - and since then has been driving my X, and I was stuck with the screwed up car.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal