2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150970 - 26/05/08 07:53 AM Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Currently, she's driving a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with just over 100K on it. She's looking at a Chrysler Sebring - they have a $3/gallon for the next 3 years guarantee at 12000 miles per year. Now, I'm not sure how they are going to calculate how much gas it will take to go 12K, other than going with the lowest possible mileage on the car. Right now, we have no car payments. The X is staying put...I'll put money into it until I retire - in 12 to 17 years. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to trade in a perfectly functioning car in great condition.

#150971 - 26/05/08 09:48 AM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

isn't that with the lease?

#150972 - 26/05/08 11:51 AM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buying the car just for the gas or gas mileage isn't worth it. Personally, with only 100k miles on the car, I'd drive it for another couple of years.

I would buy a new car before then if it finally cost more to repair the car than you could get for selling it. We currently have a 1999 Honda with 133k miles on it. We always say that it would be nice to buy a new car right now, but we can't justify it when this one is still running so good.

With the Honda, and only 65k miles on our 2000 X, it will still be a couple of years before we buy a new car. I guess things would be different if we weren't trying to save for other things too.

p.s. I would probably look at a diffent car than the Sebring (even a different Chrysler). Consumer Reports rated the new Sebring below the PT Cruiser, which hasn't had a major update in over 6 years!

#150973 - 26/05/08 02:49 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No payment on the bonneville will more than make up for the price of gas + a car payment. I'd stay put unless you needed a car but only you know your situation. I wish I could've kept my X...damn now I'm thinking about the X again.. [Crybaby]

#150974 - 27/05/08 02:03 AM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
I reran the numbers. With her going back to school and the threat of a Democrat pulling us out of Iraq, I don't think we could afford it anyway. I need another deployment to save up the money.

#150975 - 27/05/08 10:00 AM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

IMO the 2.99 deal isn't worth it, you give up your $2500 signing bonus, and that get's put back into your loan... Unless you're paying cash for the new vehicle, it isn't worth it.

#150976 - 27/05/08 01:00 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Driving 12000 miles year at 25 mpg, you're only saving about $480 a year in gas ($1440 total over 3 years). I think you have to give up all dealer and factory rebates to take advantage of the gas deal, and those are probably worth more. Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me, more of a gimic based on the gas "crisis" fearthat is instilled in everyone right now. Fuel costs haven't affected me enough to be skeered.

#150977 - 27/05/08 01:30 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
Driving 12000 miles year at 25 mpg, you're only saving about $480 a year in gas ($1440 total over 3 years). I think you have to give up all dealer and factory rebates to take advantage of the gas deal, and those are probably worth more. Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me, more of a gimic based on the gas "crisis" fearthat is instilled in everyone right now. Fuel costs haven't affected me enough to be skeered.
Exactly right. Anything a dealer "gives" you they'll try to get back (and more) by jacking up the interest rate, adding on bogus stuff like "undercoating", and so on.

#150978 - 27/05/08 01:48 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I rented a Sebring once when my Cirrus was in the shop. Granted much newer and better gadgets, but hated the feel and the fact the rearview mirror seems in your face and blocks the forward-view.

I'd keep your current car. There's already a plethora of articles about not trading your car in, due to gas prices.

Common sense and very specific to your situation info, neither of which can be addressed on an internet forum.

Best of luck. I just bought a Minivan for my wife, used, but good price although it'll need work. Still will be way cheaper than taking the hit the original owners did at $35K to buy it new. Not even figuring in, repairs, insurance, fuel, maintenance, and the biggie, depreciation.

Already felt that pain with my New '03 then '05 then nothing after a rollover. Now '03 used and loving it. laugh

#150979 - 27/05/08 02:17 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
BlueSky Offline

Good God, man - I just realized you said you were considering a CHRYSLER! [Geek]

Granted it's been a few model years since, but I owned a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and if I ever win the lottery, I will buy that vehicle back and rent the tallest cliff I can find to push it off of. It was the worst quality vehicle I have ever had personal experience with.

Seriously, it's sad to say, but I wouldn't buy a domestic vehicle when there are such excellent alternatives available from Honda, Toyota, Nissan et. al.

#150980 - 27/05/08 02:34 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
altima Offline

Loc: Michigan
No payment===keep car

#150981 - 27/05/08 02:34 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Good God, man - I just realized you said you were considering a CHRYSLER! [Geek]

Granted it's been a few model years since, but I owned a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and if I ever win the lottery, I will buy that vehicle back and rent the tallest cliff I can find to push it off of. It was the worst quality vehicle I have ever had personal experience with.

Seriously, it's sad to say, but I wouldn't buy a domestic vehicle when there are such excellent alternatives available from Honda, Toyota, Nissan et. al.
Maybe one out of three ain't bad? Honda's are still made in Japan?

#150982 - 27/05/08 02:36 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
Quote:
[b]Good God, man - I just realized you said you were considering a CHRYSLER! [Geek]

Maybe one out of three ain't bad? Honda's are still made in Japan?[/b]
Call that a strikeout!

Quote:
GREENSBURG, Indiana, U.S.A.. June 29, 2006– Honda announced plans to build a $550 million automobile plant on a 1,700-acre tract in Decatur County, Indiana, near Greensburg, 50 miles southeast of Indianapolis. The plant will begin mass production of fuel efficient 4-cylinder vehicles in fall 2008, with an annual production capacity of 200,000 vehicles and employment of 2,000 associates.

#150983 - 27/05/08 04:43 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Too bad - GM is actually turning out some good stuff these days (finally!)

#150984 - 30/05/08 08:53 AM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You couldn't sell me a domestic vehicle if you gave me FREE gas for 3 years. OK - that's a bit strong, but not much of an exageration. I drive Nissans because I've had domestic vehicles of all types and they just don't compare to the imports - even today.

With that said, do the math. Most are saying that fuel prices will stabilize at around $4.00 per gallon (supply and demand will equalize there - probably already has). If this happens you'll save one dollar per gallon. I don't know the mileage figure for the Sebring, but let's go with a very generous 30 MPG for round numbers. 12,000 miles / 30 = 400 gallons of gasoline per year, or $400.00 savings in fuel costs per year x 3 years = $1,200.00 total savings. Let's say gas goes up to $6.00 per gallon (the unlikely but possible worst case scenario being discussed by those in the know) you'll have a total 3 year savings of $3,600.00.

$3,600.00 = 3 year supply of beer and cheese whiz for the average American and this is the best you could do with this incentive. I'd need something much more attractive than that to buy a Chrysler thank you very much.

#150985 - 30/05/08 06:48 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Good God, man - I just realized you said you were considering a CHRYSLER! [Geek]

Call that a strikeout!

Quote:
GREENSBURG, Indiana, U.S.A.. June 29, 2006– Honda announced plans to build a $550 million automobile plant on a 1,700-acre tract in Decatur County, Indiana, near Greensburg, 50 miles southeast of Indianapolis. The plant will begin mass production of fuel efficient 4-cylinder vehicles in fall 2008, with an annual production capacity of 200,000 vehicles and employment of 2,000 associates.
[/b]
Um...Hondas have been made in the US for nearly 30 years (longer than Toyota or Nissan). Marysville, OH. The Accord and Element are currently being built there.

(Oh...and 30 years later...it's STILL non-union.)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#150986 - 01/06/08 04:24 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mobycat-

The lack of the union is why their quality is much higher at the same price points as American brands. Honda uses the money for their products that GM/Ford have to use to pay for the unions.

(overly simple explanation, but it makes the point)

#150987 - 02/06/08 08:04 PM Re: Wife wants a new car..is this deal worth it?
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

Call that a strikeout!

Quote:
[/b]
Um...Hondas have been made in the US for nearly 30 years (longer than Toyota or Nissan). Marysville, OH. The Accord and Element are currently being built there.

(Oh...and 30 years later...it's STILL non-union.)

Come on, guys. Was it not obvious that my reference was to brand and not assembly point?

Where the thing is bolted together is a lot less important than superior design, better components, and a track record of building vehicles that are reliable and efficient. Detroit loses that race by a landslide to the three brands I named.

And GM's (finally) building some good vehicles? I'll bet you anything you're willing to lose that in 10 years there will be way more 2008 Hondas still on the road than '08 models of all GM products combined.

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal