2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16302 - 17/10/04 04:44 PM So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Because it looks like for the price, it cant be beat. I have up to $14,000 maximum to spend, cash. Pathfinders are way too expensive. WRX wagons look nice but also expensive and have transmission problems.

5 speed manual and 4x4 is a must. It has been hard looking for manual 4 wheel drives, and it seems theres a good amount of 00-01 Xterras that meet my criteria and they're still affordable!

So please give me some cliffs notes on Xterra, whats your general opinion of it? How big is the gas tank? I heard that the interior feels cheap but who cares, is it comfortable? Im going to be doing light 4 wheeling and also going camping in Mexico with mountain bikes, snowboarding in the mtns, camping, etc. DOes this sound like the truck for me or am I better off with a more expensive WRX wagon which will end up saving in the gas mileage department??

Do 00, 01 have a timing belt or chain?

Any issues I should be aware of?

What should I look for when buying my Xterra?

Thanks!

#16303 - 17/10/04 04:50 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

cliffs notes: i have up to $14k to spend. Must be 5 speed 4x4. What should I do?

#16304 - 17/10/04 04:56 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

00-01's are proving themselves to be more reliable (It's not about the headlights, really :p )

5spd 4wd is great fun!

The gas tank's 19.4 gallons. And you already know, the X' mileage isn't so hot, just go easy on the skinny pedal. Remmeber, if you go SC, you'll always pay premium gas prices.

Interiors great; you're gonna' go wheelin', ride your mountain bikes in the dirt and mud, crawl in your truck, and sleep. Or get out all the camping stuff you piled on the rooftop. It's perfect.

They've got a bulletproof chain. I believe its got two rails . I don't remember anyone posting theirs had failed.

Make sure all the recalls had been done; window regulators, FSU, and one or two small others. Then check around the battery compartment for stress tears in the sheet metal and across the area by the hood latch. Oh, and look for any bumps, bruises along the rocker panels and along the drivetrain, see if it'd been offroad before. [Uh Oh !]

Good Luck [Wave]

#16305 - 17/10/04 05:03 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:

Make sure all the recalls had been done; window regulators, FSU, and one or two small others. Then check around the battery compartment for stress tears in the sheet metal and across the area by the hood latch. Oh, and look for any bumps, bruises along the rocker panels and along the drivetrain, see if it'd been offroad before. [Uh Oh !]
What happens to the window regulators? Do they just crap out and stop working? P/W only?

Whats the FSU? Im guessing Fuel Sender Unit? Do you need a warranty to have Nissan fix this for free?

Why would there be stress tears in the sheetmetal by the hood latch or battery compartment?

Thanks for your opinions and insights guys. Do you think $14k maximum can get me a good reliable Xterra, and still have some $$ left over for gas??

Thanks

#16306 - 17/10/04 05:15 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

The early electrical part was substandard and a recall was passed on certain vin# trucks in certain states, you may not be affected at all. Yes, they just crap out, and yes, power windows only.
FSU is indeed Fuel Sender Unit. Again, factory warrantied.

Quote:
Why would there be stress tears in the sheetmetal by the hood latch or battery compartment?
There shouldn't be, but there can be eek

$14k? you should be able to find a reliable,classic X , and no, you won't have money left for gas soon enough. smile

#16307 - 17/10/04 05:19 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont mean to hijack, just curious. Dan you mentioned that 00-01 seem to be more reliable than previous years. What has changed from 01-02. Would 02 fall into that cat. you speak of, in not than what specifically do you speak of.

#16308 - 17/10/04 05:35 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I only own one truck, an '01, so I can only tell you mine is super reliable and has been a lot of fun. I've read others' posts here though involving mid '02s and on with reliability issues more frequently than the earlier years. Electrical systems, drivetrain components, etc.

(get the gears wink )

#16309 - 17/10/04 05:36 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

no kidding...what do you base this finding on? aside from a few very small issues every year seems pretty damn reliable to me. And...04 hasn't been around the block enough to know if it is reliable or not.

#16310 - 17/10/04 06:55 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
They've got a bulletproof chain. I believe its got two rails . I don't remember anyone posting theirs had failed.
The V6 has a BELT!

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#16311 - 17/10/04 07:44 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see you're correct. I thought in some of the paraphenalia I'd read about a new, more durable chain. :rolleyes: Appearantly it is a belt.

EDIT- Was there ever a change in the design? Always a belt?
What do you think Brent? Classic X' built better than 02's and on?

#16312 - 17/10/04 09:08 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Classic X' built better than 02's and on?
Other than cosmetic changes, there weren't any significant changes to the power train - well, other than the supercharger in '02.

If anything, I would say the more recent models have fewer problems... I have no window regulator issues, or lots of the little other things I see the '00 and some '01 owners complaining about in problems and annoyances. My build quality was excellent - the only defect being the passenger door weatherstripping which was replaced under warranty with little incident.

Sure there are problem vehicles out there, and you will tend to hear about them more on boards like this - but all in all I think you will find the Xterra a great truck with a good set of features, esp. for the $$$

Good luck, enjoy your new to you X. Also, here are some good tips. Enjoy!

#16313 - 17/10/04 09:39 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agreed, I am and have been a Nissan enthusiast for some time. Any Xterra is a good Xterra smile

#16314 - 17/10/04 09:55 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
A manual and a automatic differ about 1 MPG. Automatics can tow 5,000lbs. Manuals are only rated for 3,500. Offroading with 3.92:1 low 4x4 gearing my Rubicon Trail Rated Xterra would work for you.

I have 34,000 miles left on the extended warranty. I will throw in a 4 bike rack and remove some accessories. We should be able to get you out the door for $14,000. wink [ThumbsUp]

Quote:
Originally posted by FUELER:
Because it looks like for the price, it cant be beat. I have up to $14,000 maximum to spend, cash.

5 speed manual and 4x4 is a must. It has been hard looking for manual 4 wheel drives, and it seems theres a good amount of 00-01 Xterras that meet my criteria and they're still affordable!

Im going to be doing light 4 wheeling and also going camping in Mexico with mountain bikes, snowboarding in the mtns, camping, etc.

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#16315 - 17/10/04 11:03 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

y dont you get a new one? I just got an 04X Auto 4x4 for 17k, after rebates... if you got an 04 you can finance really cheap

#16316 - 17/10/04 11:40 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dunno... If you are comparing the X and a scoobie (WRX) those are 2 completely different vehicles.

If you want to go fast, hug corners, and the like, the WRX is probably the way to go.

Otherwise, the X sounds like it is right up your alley.. The only downside I can think of is the MPG. I have a 5 speed in mine, and it is surprisingly fun to drive for a SUV!

Keep your eye out, and you can get a deal.. I paid just over $7K for my '00 (high miles).

#16317 - 18/10/04 05:11 AM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
I think the reference to reliability could have come from 'Consumers Reports' repairs charts.

dave and xtoy - it's still an old pathfinder underneath

#16318 - 18/10/04 01:28 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Subaru owners claim 20-25 mpg, Xterra owners claim 15-20 mpg. WRX transmissions are blowing out left and right. (then again, it's probably the ricers trying to launch their AWD trannies). Some claim to drive totally normal and tranny still blows out at under 50k miles!!

So i'm going to be looking for: good window regulators, a recalled FSU, no previous offroading scars, and no stress cracks in the front radiator support as well as in the fenders.

Please mention anything you wish you had looked at when you purchased your X.

Thanks all

#16319 - 18/10/04 01:35 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, and I just found a thread on exhaust manifold studs. I believe this was a problem in Pathfinders as well.

#16320 - 18/10/04 02:58 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well FUELER, someone just posted a 2000 White 4x4 in the For Sale section with crazy low milage up in Las Vegas for $12k. So you have $2000 to spend on goodies and driving up there and back! smile

#16321 - 18/10/04 07:00 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

There ya go pony up and get a carfax report.

#16322 - 20/10/04 06:35 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet. I'll let you guys know what happens.

The stealership has a 4x4 5 speed Frontier but I want an Xterra.

#16323 - 20/10/04 07:27 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
triton Offline

Loc: Virginia
Don't be too alarmed at gas mileage reports. I just managed 376 miles on 16.5 gallons. That's 22.8 mpg. Granted, that's unusual, but most of the time I get about 20. I also have to admit I'm somewhat light on the gas.

#16324 - 22/10/04 02:45 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just paid $13000 for my 00 SE 4x4 Auto.
Its had 64500 mls, one owner, mint condition with every service record, oil change and receipt for the entire time they had it.
Even have the original window sticker and there sale paperwork (they paid $27600 cash).
The FSU and the Rim change recalls had been taken care of already.

So far so good, we took it on a break in run to florida couple of weeks ago. Almost 1300 miles in 3 days showed 20 mpg (90% interstate)

Around town we are seeing about 18-19 mpg with easy right foot smile

The wife and I love this thing, my advice would be look for a good private sale. The dealers around here are asking $14000-16000 for 2WD 00-01's with same or higher mileage.

Regards

Hayden

#16325 - 25/10/04 11:47 PM Re: So im probably about to purchase an Xterra
anotherbrian Offline

Loc: Rocklin, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FUELER:
Sweet. I'll let you guys know what happens.

The stealership has a 4x4 5 speed Frontier but I want an Xterra.
I've got a '01 Solar Yellow SE 4WD 5spd + seat covers, cargo covers, and a Yakima rack with 40k miles I'd sell you for $14k. No door dings, exterior is almost like new. Only prob is you need to fly up to Sacramento (only $110 on Southwest), but I'd pick you up at the airport in an S2000. :-) Seriously. It's on cars.com, zip code 95765.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal