2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171874 - 26/06/03 11:33 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Kirby Offline

Loc: Central FLorida
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
I personally like all the Conan, Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance novels...... Piers Anthony? Margerat Weiss? R.A. Salvator??? Steven King? etc.......
Sounds like you and I have similar tastes, besides likeng the Steelers. I think R.A. Salvatore's stuff is awesome, especially the Dark Elf books. I can't remember the times I've reread his stuff. I grew up reading Piers Anthony, then kinda lost touch with his style.

#171875 - 26/06/03 11:36 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:

Good for the kids in your family. Sounds like you are raising a nice bunch of pre-programmed, people that can't think for themselves, just like you. I am so impressed!
Relax fucko....

The "Crime and Punishment" thing was a joke. You are too easy to wind up lately. Do I bother you that much? I figured you deviants down in Texas would be happy today after The Supreme Court ruling.

#171876 - 26/06/03 11:38 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
PackRat Offline

Loc: Wheat Ridge, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
Originally posted by PackRat:
[b]One of my pet peeves is folks who think that their choice of reading/music/&c makes them somehow superior.

Get over yourselves.

A
And yet, you decide to question people who dislike a specific author by challenging them to name books they've read recently, at the same time indicating a certain disdain for popular authors, such as Tom Clancy.

Good for you . . .

Quote:

I would be interested in hearing some recent reads from those who cast off this book as drivel.

And I mean books you really read. Not the ones you bought because the title sounded cool and important, but you only reached page 54 before you lost the train of the argument so you put it on the bedside table planning to pick it up again but in the meantime you've reread a few Tom Clancy books..

(Mind you, these are not idle thoughts, I work with books for a living...)
wink
You make it sound like Tom Clancy is a throw-away, easy read, and therefore, not worthy of being included in the book-list . . .

Have I misunderstood?[/b]
Yep. I have read and enjoyed Tom Clancy.

It was an example.

#171877 - 26/06/03 11:45 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
[QUOTE]Relax fucko....

The "Crime and Punishment" thing was a joke. You are too easy to wind up lately. Do I bother you that much? I figured you deviants down in Texas would be happy today after The Supreme Court ruling.
We are! I think they did a good job allowing people to do what they Constitutionally have a right to do. The Supreme Court has gone 2 for 2 in my book recently. That is a whole new topic though. You used to not bother me, but then I realized that you are just like the Michael Moore's and Sean Penn's of the world, just on the other extreme edge of the political spectrum.

Anyways, I loved Piers Anthony's Icarnations of Immortality series. I just started another series by him, it ain't as good so far.

#171878 - 26/06/03 11:54 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
We are! I think they did a good job allowing people to do what they Constitutionally have a right to do. The Supreme Court has gone 2 for 2 in my book recently.
What's the other one?

They fucked up royally on the Library Internet access ruling.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#171879 - 26/06/03 12:03 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Have I misunderstood?
Yep. I have read and enjoyed Tom Clancy.

It was an example.[/b]
Then I did misunderstand. Thought so.

I retract my statement . . .

#171880 - 26/06/03 12:09 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I just thought I would toss this in for the hell of it...
:p ordinarily I wouldn't do this, but I am deviant after all [Finger] Oh, and by the way, H.P.'s little girlfriend dies in the book [Spit]

Definition of Deviance
*** S320 Overhead 1 Deviance Definition ***

Five Misleading Definitions of Deviance

1. Absolutist

A God given natural fact.

Problem: different cultures have different viewpoints.

2. Statistical

Deviance is what is rare.

Problem: There are not many senators in the United States, they must be deviant.

3. Social Harm

Everything that is bad for society is deviant.

Problem: Many things that are deviant cause no harm.

4. Only criminal behavior is deviant

It is right that criminal behavior at the same time is deviant behavior, but not vice versa.

5. There is positive deviance

This is an oxymoron, a contradiction in terms. Deviance is by definition a negative derivation from norm of custom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Overhead 2a S320 Definition of Deviance ****

What is deviance?

I. Normative Approach:

Deviance is a formal violation of the norms

Problem: Whose norms are that anyway?

Example: There are sub-cultures that whose norms differ form the mainstream, e.g. the drug subculture.

II. Reactive Approach

There are two necessary conditions for a behavior to classify as deviant:

1. It has to be observed by a third party

2. It has to be condemned or punished

Problem: A) secret behavior never can be deviant

B) this view doe snot allow someone to be a victim until the behavior is seen or told publicly.

Example: If the consumption of illegal drugs is not observed by outsiders, it does not classify as deviant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Overhead 2b S320 Definition of Deviance ****

III. Compromise: take both

Taking the normative approach we specify who's norms count the normative position makes sense.

Taking the reactive approach we differentiate between deviant behavior that is observable to one persons, a group of persons, or the general public.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#171881 - 26/06/03 12:09 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
[QUOTE]What's the other one?

They fucked up royally on the Library Internet access ruling.
I did not include that one. I tend to agree with it as well, but I was talking about the University of Michigan ruling. They said it was illegal to give students a 20 point advantage in the screening process just because they are minorities.

#171882 - 26/06/03 02:13 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
BooBear Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
[QB]I just thought I would toss this in for the hell of it...
:p ordinarily I wouldn't do this, but I am deviant after all [Finger] Oh, and by the way, H.P.'s little girlfriend dies in the book QB]
Are you talking about Hermoine?

#171883 - 26/06/03 03:50 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
QUOTE]Are you talking about Hermoine?[/QB][/QUOTE]

no, not her - somebody else, though...

girl? guy? - i'm not telling, not interested in spoiling the plot for any one that cares.

#171884 - 26/06/03 05:31 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
Oh, and by the way, H.P.'s little girlfriend dies in the book [Spit]
Damn You!!!!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal