2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173005 - 05/04/01 07:53 PM Wash/Wax Tips for the Black X?
SpaceAce77 Offline

Loc: Bethpage, NY
Hey, everyone:

Just picked up my Super Black X on Tuesday...Although the dealer did a really good job getting her ready, and it doesn't really look like it's ready for a wash just yet, I do have some q's with regard to wash/waxing.

1) Should I wait any specified amount of time to wash it? It's not as if the paint has to set or anything, but should I let it ride for a bit?

2) Any suggestions as far as Black X's for wash or wax products?

3) The verdict on the car wash...Yay, or nay?

At the end of the day, I've been just going over her with a soft cloth to get the dust off (forgive me, it's only been two days)...I figure five minutes a day is better than letting it sit and get nasty (for now anyway)...

Look forward to your 2 cents

01 XE
3 Pak/Maniks
Black in the Saddle

------------------

#173006 - 05/04/01 09:23 PM Re: Wash/Wax Tips for the Black X?
dogslovetrucks Offline

Loc: Duncan, OK
Congrats on the new X.

1. Any curing your paint needed to do has been done while your truck made its way to your driveway. I waxed within a week.

2. I would recommmend Meguiars products. Check out their website for a car care prescription and tips. www.meguiars.com

3. Only wash your car yourself, by hand, if you care about the paint. Anything else is a risk. It's a lot easier to prevent spiderwebs and swirls than to get rid of them.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Dave Lange ~ Super Black 2001 XE 4x2 Auto with 3pack ~ SWXC Member #26
Emma, vizsla, and Jimi, German shorthair ~ the X, the V, and the GSP more pictures
Dave Lange ~ Super Black 2001 XE 4x2 Auto with 3pack ~ SWXC Member #26
Emma, vizsla, and Jimi, German shorthair ~ the X, the V, and the GSP more pictures

#173007 - 06/04/01 12:00 AM Re: Wash/Wax Tips for the Black X?
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Dogslovetrucks is correct. I use the Meguiars products and so do many other people. I get a good shine and water beads right up in rain and the wax lasts. Make sure that you get just wax and just polish. Check out the website it will explain a lot and even will help you so that your truck's skin lasts longer.

Many others use different kinds of wax. I would use what works best for you.

------------------
There are only three sports-Mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing-all the others being games. --Ernest "Papa" Hemingway

#173008 - 06/04/01 09:41 AM Re: Wash/Wax Tips for the Black X?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Basically what the others have said - use a HIGH quality wax like Meguiars or Mothers or Zaino Bros. Follow the directions closely - that is, wash, dry wax and buff with the right materials, never in direct sunlight, etc.

If you drop a sponge, mitt or rag on the ground - use a new one. Or certainly wash the $hit of the old one.

Always give the truck a thourough hosing off under pressure from the hose before laying a sponge to it, to get as much loose grit off as possible.

Wash only with "car wash" goop and never dishwashing liquid. However, I used the latter for my first wash to make sure it was clear of funk and then applied two coats of nice wax; the first a polish, the second a pure wax.

After you wash, use a chamois to dry it - again, don't do this in the sun if you can avoid it, and keep the truck wet all over until you're done washing and start to dry it.

Black, as hot as it looks - requires a lot of care to prevent swirls and all that.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#173009 - 06/04/01 09:56 AM Re: Wash/Wax Tips for the Black X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a proud Supa dupa black Xterra owner, I can say that it does take a little bit more care to keep it looking good. (by good I mean better than the rest!)
Nothing you can't do with a little free time. and don't believe the other people when they tell you "it's supposed to be dirty!" It's only supposed to be dirty when you're wheeling- then on the way home you wash it and start over.
Good luck and make your black X brotha's and sista's proud!

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal