2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173034 - 24/03/01 07:39 AM Rust Spots on Step Rails
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I have asked before, but got no response. I know there are other X owners in the road salting states that have this problem. I have little rust specs on my step rails that are probably the result of mineral deposits finding homes in the crevaces of the powdercoating. But they are a real pain to get out. In fact almost impossible. I've tried mineral spirits, simple green and clay magic with not much success. Can someone help me out with this problem? Thanks

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#173035 - 24/03/01 12:21 PM Re: Rust Spots on Step Rails
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It should be just dust and dirt, since the step rails are aluminum, and cannot rust.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#173036 - 24/03/01 01:13 PM Re: Rust Spots on Step Rails
SlimeDog Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Hmm... aluminum will corrode, and pitting corrosion is not uncommon. The most common way that aluminum will start corroding is through contact with steel. Two dissimilar metals coming together can start an anodic process, add water and salt to that and you can almost watch the aluminum fall apart in real time.

The best way to prevent corrosion of aluminum is to Anodize it. Oddly enough, that process is actually corroding the whole surface inside and out. Once this happens further corrosion is halted.

Since the factory step rails are made out of used beer cans I doubt that they went to the trouble of Anodizing them or applying an Alodine or Iridite coating. Additionally, they are mounted to a steel frame using steel bolts. Once corrosion starts... well, you've heard of cancer right?

Sorry man.

------------------
~SlimeDog

[This message has been edited by SlimeDog (edited 03-24-2001).]

#173037 - 25/03/01 06:37 AM Re: Rust Spots on Step Rails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here's another idea, I have heard (and through personal experience) that the metallic brake pads emit dust that can land on the back hatch and with a little salt can start corroding. I can remove the it with a little wax because it is not really the hatch that is rusting but a piece of metal on the paint. It just leaves a stain, if you will, that can be waxed (clay magic works too) away. I think the same is taking place on the step rails.
So if I can't find something to remove the stains, I guess it is back to the dealer to try and work something out. Thanks.

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#173038 - 26/03/01 10:08 AM Re: Rust Spots on Step Rails
Vince Offline

Loc: Denver (Cherry Creek), Colorad...
Salt UGGGHHH!!!!

Thank god for good ol sand in Colorado! Trouble is, we get broken windshields.

------------------
Vince
01'Silver Ice SE 4x4
Trek STP 400 OCLV MTB
Colnago (roadie)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal