2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173140 - 05/06/05 07:38 PM 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love my new 2005 Xterra; but my only beef with it presently is that the darker graphite color plastic dash trim produces some extremely noticeable scratches, even from just everyday use. I have acquired some rather deep scrathces in on the center console (right on the section that the 4WD controls are located) that I would like to deal with. I have no idea where to even begin. I could A.) search long and hard for some type of 'scratch remover' for the plastics that are inside the X's interior, OR B.)I could just replace that one particular dash trim/mold.

The problem I am faced with is accessibility, though. I haven't found a scratch remover, and there is no way (that I know of) outside of a dealership that would make it possible for me to order just that one piece of graphite dash trim and replace it...

Here's a representation of the problem

the area in the red box is what i'll need to replace if i cannot find a suitable 'scratch remover'

Anyone else faced with a similar problem?
What should I do?

Thanks
~GH

#173141 - 05/06/05 09:29 PM Re: 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

my problem is the cargo area.....total scratch magnet. i need to invest on some kind of cargo mat.

#173142 - 06/06/05 07:45 AM Re: 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I found that out the first day I had my new X... put a box back there and it slid around on the hard plastic scuffing it to heck and back... a mat is a good idea.

#173143 - 13/06/05 01:00 PM Re: 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bored at work and saw post. Have a friend who works in body work and custom autos. I have been told that using a hair dryer on scratches in plastic panels will remove most. I have tried once on small scratch and it worked well. Might want to try before replacing panels.

#173144 - 13/06/05 03:16 PM Re: 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

k, thanks for the info I'll try it, but these are rather large scratches (about 1mm deep.)

#173145 - 19/11/05 06:03 PM Re: 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you ever get the scratches out?

#173146 - 20/11/05 07:06 AM Re: 2005 Xterra - graphite color dash trim = scratch magnet.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVE-O:
Quote:
Originally posted by XterraCyclistNSC:
[b]Bored at work and saw post. Have a friend who works in body work and custom autos. I have been told that using a hair dryer on scratches in plastic panels will remove most. I have tried once on small scratch and it worked well. Might want to try before replacing panels.
[/b]
Heat will remove scratches but a word of warning. It does make a bright(shiny) spot in the area that was heated which sometimes can be more noticed than scratches.
What I have used for light scuffs or scratches is a black body colored wax made by Turtle Wax.
Its intended for the exterior of a car but it also fills in scuff marks in the graphite trim.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal