2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174121 - 11/03/01 03:02 PM Cleaning Windows
beanie Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have a terrible time cleaning the inside of my car windows especially the front windshield. I get streeks all over the place. Does anyone have any tips on what I should use or some special technique?

------------------

#174122 - 11/03/01 04:40 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
Do you smoke? Or do people smoke in your X? If so the streaking could be from the tar/smoke coating the windows. I used to have this happen before I kicked the habit. I use ordinary windex with newspaper to wipe and have virtually no streaks. They also make some other glass stuff that works good (invisible glass, I think) but I don't have problem,s with windex so why change?

------------------
2001 SE 4x4 5-speed
Super Black

#174123 - 11/03/01 05:25 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
They also make those little blue towel things that are dimpled like paper towels but won't leave lint. They do cost more than newspaper, though. Also mixing in a little bit of vinegar to your cleaning solution usually inhibits streaking. And of course elbow grease always helps.

And don't even THINK of smoking in the X!

(unless.... )

------------------

#174124 - 11/03/01 10:00 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yeah, that Invisible Glass (from Stoner) is fantastic, wipe w/ newspaper and wait for birds to fly into your windows

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#174125 - 12/03/01 06:05 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Along with smoking, the other thing that will muck up the inside of your windows is the protectant you may use on the interior. The 'active' ingredient will evaporate at some point in time and deposit on the glass. Not saying the stuff is bad, just one of those products where a little is good, but alot is not.

dave and Xtoy - or try a different brand

------------------

#174126 - 12/03/01 07:28 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
beanie Offline

I do not smoke nor do I have my X yet but I seem to get a build up of film on my window after time. It really bothers me. Thanks for the tips. I will try them.

------------------

#174127 - 12/03/01 07:36 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Like Dave said, protectants cause a lot of film buildup on the windows. Especially on a hot/sunny day. Use sparingly and use low gloss products like Armor All low gloss.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#174128 - 12/03/01 08:41 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I neither smoke nor put stuff on my dash, but I still get the film. I think it's either coming from my WetOkole's or the dash shade I use when I'm parked at work. In any case, I use the old vinegar/water solution and it works fine.

jeff

------------------

#174129 - 12/03/01 08:51 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The plastics used in the interior in the first place will emit fumes that will deposit on the glass for a while after vehicle is made, those with newer Xterras my be experiencing that.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#174130 - 12/03/01 05:56 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Pollution can also cause a hazy buildup on the windshield over time. I've notice there can be a big difference in the amount of haze on the widows after a particualrly bad pullotion day/days.

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my green X icon smile

#174131 - 13/03/01 05:51 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
PlayHard Offline

Loc: Canada
You should try Sprayway Window Cleaner. It's a household cleaner that works unbelievably well. It comes in an aerosol can and sprays a light foam on the window. Wipe off the excess and buff it off. Works much like the foam tire cleaner. And when you're done with it your wife can clean the house

------------------
SOXC Member
www.soxc.org

#174132 - 13/03/01 06:58 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
quiet mike Offline

Loc: North Babylon NY USA
playhard--So that's how I get my wife to clean the house.

------------------

2000 jet green

#174133 - 13/03/01 07:18 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
KY Xterra Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Beanie : I started using something different this week. Armor-All glass cleaner wipes. They also have the regular and low gloss wipes. It doesn't seem to leave streaks as bad or little "fuzzies" on the glass. I bought it at Walmart.

'01 XE V6 4x4 3-Pak Just Blue

------------------

#174134 - 13/03/01 01:46 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
KY Xterra, Are you using the ones in the can that has the pull through like...I've been trying those and they don't seem to work very well at all for me.

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my green X icon smile

#174135 - 14/03/01 12:51 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Try Invisible Glass made by Stoner. Most chain auto shops carry it. Also, since beanie doesn't have an X yet - maybe your heater core is about to go. DO you get a slight coolant smell in the car at all??? Just a hunch. That'll fog up your windows and create a film.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#174136 - 14/03/01 01:02 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
beanie Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
Try Invisible Glass made by Stoner. Most chain auto shops carry it. Also, since beanie doesn't have an X yet - maybe your heater core is about to go. DO you get a slight coolant smell in the car at all??? Just a hunch. That'll fog up your windows and create a film.

My windows don't get fogged up, the front window just gets a film on it. However, a friend of my was in my car the other day and said he smelled coolant or anti-freeze. I guess it's time to buy my Xterra. I'm a little tired of dumping money into my car.

[This message has been edited by beanie (edited 03-14-2001).]

#174137 - 15/03/01 06:02 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
PrimeX Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx.
The cleaner I've been using is the Armorall spray no streak glass cleaner. I just had my windows tinted and there was all kinds of dried up streaks...especially when the sun was shining...the spray works great and is very quick drying with no streaks whatsoever!

------------------
2001 SE Silver Ice with newly installed WAAG! "American beer is alot like making love in a rowboat- it's f**king close to water."

[This message has been edited by PRIMARYXTC26 (edited 03-15-2001).]

#174138 - 17/03/01 01:25 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
Anonymous
Unregistered

i use sprayway a lot at work, along with the windows on my X. you can use that, or Zep. although Zep is more expensive. i was in costco a few weeks ago, and picked up a 3 pack of Armor All products. it came with the glass wipes (which suck), fabric cleaner, and regular Armor All. the fabric cleaner is for all sorts of applications. as a matter of fact, i used them yesterday to clean my step rails, worked REALLY well!!

------------------
Just Blue XE 4x4 3pack w/ many extras
and newly added XOC sticker!!!

#174139 - 08/04/01 04:07 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
chewy50 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I tried something today to clean my windows that was suggested to me by my roomie and it did wonders. No streaks and totally clean! It sounds odd, and I was totally skeptical, but try it: Windex and a crumpled up newspaper. Just do it the same as you would with a cloth or towel. Don't knock it until you try it, it really works!

------------------
Chewy
'01 4x4 Gold Rush SE Auto

AOL IM: chewy50

"You just go and lay your hand
on a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan,
And I think you're gonna finally understand..." Charlie Daniels

#174140 - 15/04/01 10:22 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
rg Offline

Loc: Wpg.Mb.Canada:2001 Black XE 4x...
Chewy 50 is right on when he mentioned windex and crumpled up newspaper for cleaning windows.The carbon that is used in the newsprint,cuts through the residue that is left behind by most cleaning agents.

------------------

#174141 - 20/04/01 10:51 PM Re: Cleaning Windows
firemon Offline

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, US...
Get some Micro-fiber towels. They work great! I use them on all of the cars I detail and they are the BEST! I use stoner invisible glass with them.

Best of luck,
Chirs

------------------

#174142 - 21/04/01 07:47 AM Re: Cleaning Windows
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Funny you should mention Microfiber towels. I've just started using them too. They work incredible for just about everything. However, you don't need any cleaner with them. You can do your windows using one damp one and following right behind with a dry one. Perfectly streak free. The only thing about microfiber is caring for it. They say not to wash them with other rags because the lint gets picked up by the microfiber. And they also say never use fabric softeners with them.

For anyone who doesn't know about microfiber, but has had Oakley sunglasses, those bags that come with Oakleys that they say to use for cleaning them are made of microfiber.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal