2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174198 - 04/08/03 10:04 AM Ding to bare metal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like I picked up a rock on the very leading edge of my hood. The ding is small but it looks like it went to bare metal and is already a nice dark brown...rust? I don't want the rust (if that is what it really is) to get under the rest of the paint and cause any poblems. Any suggestions would be welcome as to how to take care of this.

#174199 - 04/08/03 10:20 AM Re: Ding to bare metal
Pumpkinhead Offline

Loc: Canada
If you're sure it's rust start with steps 1 and 2; if it's not rust but primer, go to step 3:
1) get a dremel, small cone grinding stone;
2) clean off rust to shiny metal;
3) use needle to pick edges of chip to get the loose paint off;
4) clean area with rubbing alcohol (let dry);
5) apply dab of touch up paint (let dry about 1 hr);
6) repeat above step twice;
7) use credit card as a chisel / spackle knife and scrape off excess touch up from surrounding paint (kind of like filling a nail hole in a wall before painting);
8) OPTIONAL - use clay bar to smooth whole thing over;
9) let dry overnight;
10) wax (firm pressure over area).

Seems long, but pretty quick and with practice it works well.

#174200 - 04/08/03 10:36 AM Re: Ding to bare metal
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Sorry to hear that. I haven't had to do this on my X but I have on other vehicles in the past. For bare metal dings I use a pen-like devise I got a few years ago in the local auto place. It has a tiny wire brush on one end and a rust inhibitor/neutralizer tip on the other (works like a marker). For the repair itself I took matching color (Dupi-Color) and dabbed in a thin coat with a toothpick and let it dry per instructions for multiple layers. I repeated this until the successive layers came slightly proud of the surrounding area and then carefully shave the repair down with a razor blade. I let it dry before blending it all in with polishing compound on a clean rag. The final act was ended with a three-step wax session of the area. There is scratch filler/primer available from Dupli-Color but I've never used it. I've also never used the combination paint/clear coat touch-up as everything blended nicely after the polishing and waxing and I have this wierd feeling that it won't turn out right although I might experiment in the future. Good luck!!

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal