shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174249 - 18/05/01 09:20 AM Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Loc: Bethpage, NY
Help!!!

Washed down the X last night, and in drying off, I noticed up close a whole stinking bunch of water spots, especially on the hood...Any suggestions on how to best remove em? Once they're gone, how do I keep em away? I've got a super black X, so I'm a little leery on what to use on the finish...

------------------

#174250 - 18/05/01 09:23 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Try Meguiars three-step process.

You should be able to get rid of them with step 2, the polish. Then finish off with step 3, the wax - to protect it against further water spots.

If they're really stubborn, you could try step 1, the cleaner.

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow

#174251 - 18/05/01 11:29 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Try Meguiars three-step process.

You should be able to get rid of them with step 2, the polish. Then finish off with step 3, the wax - to protect it against further water spots.

If they're really stubborn, you could try step 1, the cleaner.

Yo, BP:

I tried step 1 on a small section of my hood last night...I applied it twice, and I still didn't get all the spots up...Do I go for another application??? Whaddya think?

------------------

#174252 - 18/05/01 11:42 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
liv2x Offline

Loc: Sumner, WA
I had the same problem so I finally used Meguiars body scrub, It said that it was okay for clear coat and it seemed to work.
I was a little aprehensive at first, but wanted those spots gone

------------------
01 Alpine Green SE 4x4 Auto

#174253 - 18/05/01 12:26 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Wow, it's not coming off with Step One? I'm at a loss - you might try the Body Scrub as mentioned. I don't know if a clay bar would do anything in this case.

Sometimes swirls and such take time and several applications to disappear though. Is it getting any better?

------------------

#174254 - 18/05/01 12:36 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Quote:
Sometimes swirls and such take time and several applications to disappear though. Is it getting any better?
[/B]

Oh, yeah, it did improve very much...Paint is very smooth by the way...But upon very close observation you can still see a few in the spot that I worked on...I'm guessing it's gonna take a little time, but I just wanted to know how many times I could go over the same spot with the cleaner, y'know?

------------------

#174255 - 18/05/01 12:42 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Ahhh...

I think you're safe. What it sounds like is maybe acid rain etching? I think I remember coming across some info about this on Meguiar's or Mother's Websites. You might look in their FAQs and such.

------------------

#174256 - 18/05/01 01:35 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Quote:
Ahhh...

I think you're safe. What it sounds like is maybe acid rain etching? I think I remember coming across some info about this on Meguiar's or Mother's Websites. You might look in their FAQs and such.

Cool deal...I was afraid I'd be eating away the paint...

Could also be the pollen around here, combined with that nasty rain...I'm gonna take tomorrow and do a little three step...

Whaddya think of this: meguiar's step 1, liquid glass for the step 2, meguiar's step 3, and then finish off with either quick wax or quick detail...It could take like eight hours, but I am sooo psyched to do it...

------------------

#174257 - 18/05/01 01:56 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
I would stick with Meguiar's for all three steps... they vary in "abrasiveness" to a calculated degree. Substituting something for one of the steps will probably not hurt anything but you may be duplicating your efforts and there is a LOT of paint on that truck...

Independant of their three step process, Meguiar's offers a "Cleaner Wax" that I used to use to get the hard water spots out of my dark green CJ7. I worked with it in generous amounts over small areas of the paint at a time until I was happy with the results.

Meguiar's + Elbow Grease = SWEET lookin' truck. The best part is... six weeks from now when you hose off the mud, the mud will sweep right off the truck through judicious use of the sprayer on your hose, you can actually "hose the water off" of your truck as well! The only thing left will be a few tiny beads of water that you can pick up with a chamois or something.

------------------
kjw & the
PNUTMNM

Blaming Guns for Columbine is like blaming spoons for Rosy O'Donnel

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#174258 - 18/05/01 02:13 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
Al_in_NY Offline

Loc: western NY
Perhaps I'm off base here, but did you try washing it again and dry it immediately before the water drops dry up? When I washed my black `97 Dakota if I let any water drops dry I had the same problem you describe. They came right off when I washed it again. Often I had to carefully wash/dry the truck in sections, especially the hood. In other words wash the hood, dry it immediately, then on to the next section. You have to start at the roof obviously.

As an aside the same thing happens with my dark green sea kayak. Once the water spots are dry it takes a good wash to get them off. Even a damp sponge won't do it.

------------------
Al

#174259 - 18/05/01 03:15 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

I agree - I would stick to the products in a series rather than mixing them up. Otherwise you might see an interaction between them. I don't know if it's good to mix natural and synthetic products together, either. They might work against each other, etc.

------------------

#174260 - 19/05/01 06:49 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
son of a @#%#@% I watched my black x yesterday I take it out today just for a few hours and it rains. I live in the desert darn it.

anyway I also have some water spots although I believe they are a result of letting water spots dry after washing. What do yall think of a rotary buffer. Is it dangerous to use and will it help in eliminating the spots.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADER

#174261 - 19/05/01 11:54 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
XTONKA Offline

Loc: Kailua Hawaii
I use a product call MX-7 It is made here in Hawaii and is very effective on spots. I used it on my 95 Pathy that was completely covered in spots when I bought it and I have also used it on my X. It contains no abrasives so multiple applications are safe. After you get the spots removed, polish with Meguiers # 7 to remove any swirls and the use a good wax to protect it. I believe Megs recommends # 26 yellow wax. You can order the MX-7 at http://www.mx-7.com/
Good Luck!

------------------
Chaney

Chaney

#174262 - 20/05/01 12:02 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
Aloha XTonka ... my Dad lives near Kaanapali and I get out there 4 or 5 times a year ... I just checked the site you mentioned and think I might give that a try ...

IMACSAE, I personally think it's a mistake to use a rotary buffer ... I've seen too many swirls left by them ... then you have to use Meguiar's Step # 1 Cleaner to get rid of them ...

I'm a real believer in washing the truck, drying the best that I can and using Meguiar's Quick Detailing to add that final touch to it ...

I have done the Meguiar's 3 step and though long in doing, it's well worth the effort ... I QD'd mine this morning and it's as fresh and shiny as a newly minted penny ... and it took off the water spots from yesterday's rain ...

------------------
Pepper Kay
6 months to go and counting

[This message has been edited by pepper kay (edited 05-20-2001).]

#174263 - 21/05/01 08:35 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Hey, guys:

thanks for everyone's help...figured I'd give ya an update...

I washed it with Mother's Car Wash (stuff smells like bubblegum - shweet!)...Came up real nice, dried it up real fast...Then started with Meg's #1...I had to do it like 4 times, but they finally came up...Applied the Liquid Glass (I didn't see the other posts till this morning)...At this point, the hood's like a hockey rink already...Go for the finishing touch - Meguiar's #3, the yummy banana smelling carnuba wax...I almost went flying as I was wiping it off cos it was so slippery...

Well, it looks pretty good now...I didn't get all the h20 spots off, but they are no way as noticeable now...I just didn't want to go for more applications of the cleaner...I figure the more I wax it, they will get progressively better...I also may take the X in at some point to the professional simoniz guy I've talked about and let him go nuts with it...But for now, it looks pretty good...I'm looking forward to finishing the rest of the truck this week (I don't have a lot of time on my hands so I try to do a small section each night)....Later!

------------------

#174264 - 21/05/01 08:07 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
MichaelT Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, NC
used the three step process today and WOW what a job it does.

------------------
Michael
01 GoldRush SE

#174265 - 22/05/01 04:57 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceAce77:
I didn't get all the h20 spots off, but they are no way as noticeable now...I just didn't want to go for more applications of the cleaner...I figure the more I wax it, they will get progressively better...

Right on. Be happy with small improvements, and before you know it and after a few wax jobs, they won't even exist anymore.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!

------------------

#174266 - 27/05/01 08:29 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Quote:
Right on. Be happy with small improvements, and before you know it and after a few wax jobs, they won't even exist anymore.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!

It's still improving...After a couple wipe downs with Quik Detail they're almost gone...Later!

------------------

#174267 - 30/05/01 12:05 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
SpaceAce77 Offline

Yo, Boarder:

I've been keeping up nicely with Quik Wax on the hood, and the H20 spots are dissappearing nicely...However, there is still some light spotting on the rest of the truck...The finish, on these areas is still smooth, though...I'm debating whether to go with a couple good coats of wax over the next few weeks, or to get in there with Megs #1, and go through the 3 steps...I'd just as soon not put an abrasive on the paint, no matter how light, if I don't have to...What say you? Dave D, or anyone else, if you have any counsel, it's most appreciated...Later!

------------------

#174268 - 30/05/01 12:08 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Well I have a black X and had some problems with water spots so I went ahead and did the 3 steps and it got rid of 90 % of the spots as months go by and with repeated waxings I am sure they will fade all the way. I also did a 3 step on my mothers 97 cirrus that had never been waxed or taken care of and it did wonders.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADER

#174269 - 31/05/01 12:20 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
SA77 -
It sounds like you've got the water spots under control. Don't go crazy trying to remove every last one. Even the best products, the mildest cleaners, could, sooner or later, wear your paint.
So, even tho you may be obcesed about the spots, no one else notices. Remember, there will always be rain/water to contend with. Better get used to it now or find a good therapist.

dave and xtoy - or a new hobby...

------------------

#174270 - 31/05/01 04:13 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Like I said, be patient... After a few applications, the spots will slowly disappear, along with swirls.

To prevent new ones, always have a nice coat of wax on there, and dry the truck as soon as possible after it gets wet (from washing, really - since it's clean).

One thing you might want to try is washing off the truck with a hose and drying it if it's been out in the rain or something, sitting. Sounds like you might live in an acid rain environment.

------------------

#174271 - 31/05/01 05:01 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
wsu89 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Forgive the ignorance of this question: but did the 3-step last week. Probably will have to wash it again this week because (as we all know) it rained and the X got a little dirty. So do I just wash, dry and quick detail it? Or should I wash, dry, add #2 polish, and quick detail? What do you think?

------------------
'01 Super Black
V-6 XE 4X2

#174272 - 31/05/01 05:14 PM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

If your paint is already nice and shiny, just wax it - but that may not even be necessary as wax generally lasts a few washings and rainstorms. It does depend on your environment, though.

If you park outside, next to a busy road like I do, I tend to wash/wax mine as often as possible. Every now and then, I use #2 or if I'm particularly motivated, go the whole route.

If you park in a garage, the truck doesn't sit outside in the elements much or you're on a quiet road in a driveway, your wax could last a month or so.

Wash the truck, dry it - and pull your hand across the paint. If it's smooth and sexy, leave it be. If there's any surface irregularities, I'd go with #2 and #3, or even #1 if it's really bad. Otherwise, #3 is optional. Quick detail it in between, for a fresh look.

Also, watch the water beading when you wash the truck... If it doesn't bead, it needs wax!

------------------

#174273 - 01/06/01 10:42 AM Re: Water Spots, ARRRGH!!!
wsu89 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks, guess my weekend is set!

------------------
'01 Super Black
V-6 XE 4X2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal