shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174598 - 02/11/05 11:36 AM Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone have a suggestion on a Very strong Wax to protect for the winter? I am not interested in Looks just protection against salt.

#174599 - 02/11/05 12:21 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

you can put wax on these things? do i just rub it on the mud?

#174600 - 02/11/05 12:33 PM Re: Durable wax
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk

#174601 - 02/11/05 12:38 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had good luck with Zainos. A lot of users indicate it does last a long time.

www.zainostore.com

#174602 - 02/11/05 04:09 PM Re: Durable wax
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Nu-Finish is a dependable product and the price is right. No 'snob' appeal tho.

dave and xtoy - wax your alloy wheels too

#174603 - 02/11/05 05:49 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried armor all wash gel and wax gell. A bit skeptical about the application method (apply directly to vehicle/ rinse off) but damn it worked good.
New fangled chemicals.. :rolleyes:

#174604 - 27/11/05 01:41 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with ChrisNYC, I have used a lot of waxes and Collinite's works very well. The #476 super double coat lasts a long time and is really easy to work with. The #845 is also popular and doesn't leave the white residue on Black plastic.

#174605 - 27/11/05 06:24 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mequiar's Cleaner Wax applied and buffed with a random orbital.

#174606 - 28/11/05 08:55 AM Re: Durable wax
hot_h2o Offline

Loc: Bright, Indiana
try using P21S cleaner and then the wax. Best stuff. I used it 3 months ago and it has been through hell and back and still beads up. Best wax money can buy.

#174607 - 12/12/05 01:09 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Folks... I am interested in a long lasting and durable wax for my X and decided to look into some marine waxes formulated for salt water use. I kept bumping into this "Starbrite" teflon wax for boaters.

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductId=298423

I read a few reviews about it and most boaters seem to love it on their boats and RV's that have to endure the elements. It appears to be safe for all painted surfaces. Just wondering if anyone has tried it? It's not cheap at 30 bucks for a 32 oz liquid bottle. But, if it lasts it might be worth it. Any thoughts out there about trying marine waxes?

#174608 - 12/12/05 02:31 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm, I dunno, I might be willing to give that a try. If I do, I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't care so much about looks, I just don't want to have a rust bucket in 5 years. The North East winters are nasty on cars.

#174609 - 12/12/05 08:48 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Hmm, I don't care so much about looks
Same here. I don't want to wax the thing more than once or twice a year if at all possible. Just want durable protection from the elements.

#174610 - 12/12/05 09:05 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's another product that gives sealer protection vs a wax job.

http://www.5starshine.com/

I found several companies that sell sealers and all appear to be on the expensive side, up to a 100 bucks. Anyone try any of these products?

#174611 - 30/12/05 07:51 AM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MikL:
Mequiar's Cleaner Wax applied and buffed with a random orbital.
I wouldnt recommend using cleaners everytime you wax your rig. Cleaners are an abrasive compound mixed in with the wax. For example, blue coral uses ground up walnut shells in their cleaner wax. You should only use cleaner waxes to remove road grime, dull scratches, etc. I suggest using a carnuba wax everytime you wax your rig.

#174612 - 30/12/05 08:21 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spent the day washing my rig good and applying Klasse's paint sealant. Like the other's on here, I am not so concerned about a deep glass like finish as much as a shine that will protect the paint. This stuff is so easy to apply and a few ounces will do the whole rig. It isn't a wax that will wash right off, its an acrylic that bonds to the paint. I'm going to give it another coat and see how it goes. It's suppose to last 6 months to a year.

Here's the link: http://superiorcarcare.net/klasse.html

One other thing. I removed the top bin to get at the paint underneath and thought I would remove the plastic front wind fairing as well. Well, the bin came out no problem just by removing four screws. I noticed the fairing had four screws as well and two simple retaining clips. I began to unscrew one of the outside screws just above the windshield that secures the fairing to the roof and the screw just stripped loose and would not come out. Oops! I couldn't tighten it back, so a litte silicon around the screw head to ensure water didnt leak inside and the fairing stayed where it was, not to be removed by me. So just remove the bin if you want to clean that area of the roof!

#174613 - 01/01/06 04:08 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with MikL, Mequiers Cleaner Wax works really well.

#174614 - 03/01/06 07:25 PM Re: Durable wax
Deer hunter Offline

Loc: Chicagoland
I use liquid glass (teflon) every spring and fall
seams like the salt and dirt does not stick to it
as much and truck stays clean longer
Chris

#174615 - 29/01/06 09:24 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Been a month since I put Klasse paint sealant on and the stuff is holding real good. Beads water like the first day, and is holding a great shine. So far... So good.

#174616 - 29/01/06 10:53 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a meguair's fan. Used the three step wax and with a little elbow grease I am happy with the results. Only had time for a quick coat on the X, but here's what it did to my old truck:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/329000-329999/329486_119_full.jpg

Sucks that now I'm in a hard water city. Can't wash anything bigger than a coupe without massive waterspots.

#174617 - 30/01/06 10:07 AM Re: Durable wax
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
For water beading/element protection, the silicone waxes are hard to beat and can go 6 mos at a clip.

For protection against pine stripes and brush rub, rocks and sand abrasion, etc...the silicones don't do much at all.

For proteciton against contact, the Carnuba waxes are better...and if you do it thicker (More coats), you get at least 6 months protection as well.

The Si waxes go on easier/less work, but the wax on/buff off the haze routine for the Carnuba's isn't that big a deal either...but it IS more time consuming.

I found I could put one over the other OK as well, despite the repelliancy of the Si to water and one would have thought, carnuba as well.

So - both ar great, but have strengths and weaknesses.

Oh - and for water spots...that Mr. Clean automotive cleaner stuff actually works!

Use regular old hose water for supply, and this stuff makes it bead off w/o water spots (w/o Mineral deposits)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#174618 - 17/03/06 08:43 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's been 2 1/2 months since I applied Klasse paint sealant... And wow! Still looks super and beads water like I put a coat of wax on yesterday. But I think I will put a few coats of carnuba wax over it for better protection like others have suggested.

#174619 - 26/03/06 08:48 AM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another vote for Klasse. Two coats of the high gloss after the all in one and your X is protected for about a year.

#174620 - 26/03/06 02:13 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

These are the two MAIN products I use.

My cousin also uses Meguiars at his Body Shop and I think it works great for detail. it's about $5 a bottle, and the ArmorAll Wax-It-Dry is my FAVORITE especially living in Minnesota. As any of you that live in a cold-winter state know, waxing your vehicle during the winter months can be almost impossible, so i tried the Wax-It-Dry stuff right after the "Do it yourself" car wash... worked GREAT ! The best part about it is that it took only as long as it takes you to towel off your vehicle. For $3.50 a bottle you can't go wrong, especially getting 18-20 waxes out of a bottle and the only clean up is throwing the towel in the wash...
[ThumbsUp]

#174621 - 26/03/06 06:01 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good ol' "Turtle Wax" Platinum Series Wax and Platinum Series Detailer between wax jobs.

#174622 - 26/04/06 08:02 PM Re: Durable wax
Anonymous
Unregistered

SIR: can you put that stuff on the bumpers and non painted surfaces? looks interesting , and probably similar to what the DIY car way bays shoot out when you choose "wax" spray...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal