shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174643 - 10/01/01 09:23 AM Black Paint Difficulties
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
My first few uses of Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax on our Super Black XE were good, but I waxed it again yesterday (by hand, like before) and ended up with swirl marks. I couldn't get rid of them no matter what. Since this is our first black vehicle, does anyone have any advice or a similar experience?

The wax was stored in the garage and we've had cold weather, but it seems unlikely the temperature in the garage went below freezing. Still, could that have affected the wax?

And would using a 'surface prep' product strip the wax to the clearcoat so I can start over?

Russell

#174644 - 10/01/01 09:55 AM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
Tonka Ross Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hey Russell - I've used Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax before on my wife's dark green Jetta VR6. It did the same thing. I think I got a little carried away and waxed the car too often and the wax just built up. I went back and got something (can't remember the name) made by Meguiar's to strip the wax down to the clear coat. That worked. Meguiar's is good stuff, you might try calling their 800 number on the bottle of wax. Hope this helps. Doesn't it just piss you off when you try to make your vehicle look even better, then when you're done you end up with streaks and smears? Good Luck!

Ross in Indy

#174645 - 10/01/01 10:56 AM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I don't know just how much wax it removes, but the ol' liquid dishwashing soap removes wax... Might wash with that first and then wax it. Anyone have more info?

#174646 - 10/01/01 10:59 AM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
incogneato Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
You need to be careful using the dishwashing soap. It is very harsh and can take off your clear coat if you use it too often.

#174647 - 10/01/01 11:23 AM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
ZOOMHUSTLA Offline

Loc: Florida USA
I would have to agree with BP and cgibilaro. You may want to use the dishwashing liquid just this one time to remove that excess wax, but after that don't use it anymore. You may want to get a soap that is specifically made for washing cars.

------------------
It is hard work being this good!!!!

Jeff Javier aka ZOOMHUSTLA
2001 Silver Ice XE 4x2
"Sterling II"

#174648 - 10/01/01 02:13 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by ZOOMHUSTLA:
You may want to get a soap that is specifically made for washing cars.

Is there really a difference ?

I've used Dawn (or whatever is under the sink) forever. We even used dish soap when I detailed cars for Nissan in 1982.

I've never had paint problems on any of my vehicles.

#174649 - 10/01/01 02:30 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
ZOOMHUSTLA Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

I've used Dawn (or whatever is under the sink) forever. We even used dish soap when I detailed cars for Nissan in 1982.

Ian come to think of it. I don't think there is much of a difference. I was always told that it wasn't good due to some harsh abhresives(sp??) within dishwashing soap. Damnit...I think someone has been pulling my leg!!

------------------
It is hard work being this good!!!!

Jeff Javier aka ZOOMHUSTLA
2001 Silver Ice XE 4x2
"Sterling II"

#174650 - 10/01/01 02:31 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Dawn and other dishwashing detergents are very harsh on your paint. Many detailers recommend washing your car with Dawn in order to REMOVE the wax, (I did this when I first purchase the X, and then put on several coats of Zaino). Other than that you should allways use Car wash soap.

In the case of Zaino Bros wax products, you must use Zaino Bros car wash only! I have tested out myself using non Zaino Bros car wash (IE Turtle wax, and noticed the difference in water beading.

#174651 - 10/01/01 02:49 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
wq! - I did the same thing with mine. I had small hairline swirls and general funk which is normal for a truck just off the lot. So, I washed the truck with dish soap to get all the funk off, then applied a nice polishing wax to remove any scratches or swirls, finishing with a pure wax alone. Once done, the thing looked incredible - almost glowed! I got a comment of "Wow, nice paint job!" from the attendant at the gas station afterwards...

I suspect that dish soap is "harsh" because it is meant to cut grease - heavy grease. Waxes are a sort of grease - and can be removed due to the chemicals in dish soap. I myself wouldn't use it after the occasional "strip down" wash and prefer a soap suited for washing cars. Whether or not it's hype, hey, for a couple of bucks - why not? There are no abrasives in dish soap though - unless you use something like SoftScrub (dear God, don't!)

My father's been washing his cars with dish soap forever, and has never applied wax more than once or twice. There's no oxidation present, nor are there any ill effects that I've seen... But on one car, there are hairline CRACKS in the paint on the roof (and roof only) so I'm not sure if it was in the paint, a certain circumstance, or what... It's on a Mercedes, which shouldn't have paint issues - so take it however you will.

#174652 - 21/01/01 05:46 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
Shortbus Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL, USA
I used to have a black Prelude and I used Zymol wax on it. Its an all natural wax that you just rub on and wipe off, no swirl motion. I never had a problem with swirl marks of any sort except on one area which had been repainted. The stuff looks really good too, supposedly its what is used on the British Royal Families' auto collection. Good luck with black, it looks awesome when its clean, unfortunatly it only stays like that way for about 10 minutes until the wind blows and then its a mess again :-\

------------------
"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people are just trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

"Since the internet has no walls or fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"

#174653 - 23/01/01 09:21 AM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
Philosopher Offline

The best thing for black paint is "Dri-Wash 'N Guard" which isn't sold in stores, but is recommended by all the detailers out there. I have some, works great.

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com
Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#174654 - 29/01/01 09:38 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
JonX Offline

Loc: Oak Park, IL
For the swirls, I've used Meguirar's Quick Detailer, its actually a spray you mist it on and wipe it off, believe it or not it works WONDERS!!!! I use it between waxing every time I wash. It also removes all the water streak marks, and leaves a HIGH GLOSS look!

I too have a Black SE, but have been using Meguiar's products for a long time and this is a awesome product!

------------------
2000 Xterra SE 4x4 Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#174655 - 07/02/01 03:11 PM Re: Black Paint Difficulties
Anonymous
Unregistered

this is great- I also have black and have to be totally anal about it to keep it clean

------------------
Do you smellalallalalala what Xrock is cookin?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal