2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174684 - 28/04/05 08:28 AM Chips in the windshield?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After cleaning my X, I've noticed that there are small chips (pin-sized) in the windshield from rocks and rubbish hitting it on the parkways. Is there a way to get these out? I've been told that there is some sort of clear stuff you put on to fill the cracks, and it looks brand new. Any ideas?

On a related note, should I get a bug deflector to prevent further chips, both on the windshield and on the hood of the car? Or should I buy one of those magnetic bra things? Thanks for the advice!

#174685 - 28/04/05 08:39 AM Re: Chips in the windshield?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't worry about the chips unless they are large/deep and look like they will spider out and trash your windshield. You can seal them up, but I don't think you can make it look "brand new".

About the bug and rock deflectors, they will not delfect anything that's big enough to damage your windshield. They will protect the front of the hood though. Plus they look cool.

#174686 - 28/04/05 08:56 AM Re: Chips in the windshield?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's one big chip that is right in my line of sight, and I just don't like the looks of it. It might never spider out, but it's an annoying.

I like the looks of the magnet bra. I really don't want to drill holes in the X to get a bug shield on. Do they have ones that you don't need to drill?

#174687 - 28/04/05 10:26 AM Re: Chips in the windshield?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
For that big chip that's bugging you there are two ways to go. Some auto shops sell a DIY kit. Have never tried one so can't comment further.
The second choice would be to go to a glass shop that uses the Novus or simular repair method. If you have 'full glass' insurance coverage that may over the cost. Used this service many years ago and results were good.

dave and xtoy - and don't tailgate onstruction site trucks smile

PS - Deflectors don't do much good. If(when) dirt gets under a vinyl bra it will scratch the paint.

#174688 - 28/04/05 03:03 PM Re: Chips in the windshield?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can dirt get under the magnet bra? That's probably what I'll get, as soon as I can afford it.

#174689 - 28/04/05 04:07 PM Re: Chips in the windshield?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
Originally posted by placebo31:
Can dirt get under the magnet bra? That's probably what I'll get, as soon as I can afford it.
I had a magnet bra, and I have nothing but great things to say about it. Dirt doesn't get under it, well maybe a tiny bit under the top lip if it's not down tight, but aside from that no, it does a fantastic job of keeping the nose of the truck clean.

I had mine on for two years, and compared to other noses as old as mine with similar mileage, there's a big difference in the amount of rock dings and chips. Plus it looks cool. cool

#174690 - 28/04/05 07:08 PM Re: Chips in the windshield?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no need to drill holes to install a bug shield.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal