2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175259 - 08/02/01 09:43 AM Turtle Wax?
Rebel Offline

Loc: Gate City, Virginia USA
anybody have any experience with turtle wax harshell wax?...gonna wax my x this weekend

------------------

#175260 - 08/02/01 09:47 AM Re: Turtle Wax?
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I have used it with good results. I am switching to Meguiars because I like their products better. Remember to thoroughly wash your truck before waxing. See the many threads about this subject. You should be able to read some good advice.

I happen to like Meguiars and haven't used anything else.

------------------
'00 Solar Yellow XE
Automatic
3-pack

[This message has been edited by DeFibVT (edited 02-14-2001).]

#175261 - 08/02/01 07:59 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
legend Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
My rule of thumb is to wash the X twice.. First time will remove most of the dirt, but washing it the second time will make sure you got all the dust n stuff you missed from the first go around.. =-)

------------------
- Josh
'01 SuperBlack XE 4x4 v6
http://www.prowlerz.net/xterra/

#175262 - 14/02/01 07:40 AM Re: Turtle Wax?
Anonymous
Unregistered

whats wrong with New Finish car wax? Its rated #1 by consumer reports.

------------------

#175263 - 14/02/01 12:18 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm with DeFibVT on this one - Meguire's makes some of the best darn car care products around. I haven't ever tried Turtle Wax. I used to use NuFinish until I found Meguire's.

------------------
Mindie
2001 Silver Ice
4x4 Automatic SE

#175264 - 14/02/01 01:27 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Nu-Finish is a "cleaner wax." Its mildly abrasive and if used all the time, it will take off layers of paint. Its a GREAT wax to use after the winter season to take off tar, light scratches, old layers of wax, etc. The immediate results are obvious and the new shine looks good. I would follow with a coat of Maguiars #26 or another soft wax.

Turtle Wax is good, but it doesn't last as long as Maguiars. I think its a case of "you get what you pay for."

The Texas Miata club was fortunate enough to host a "paint clinic" where reps from several detail clinics and folks from Maguiars and Zymol, etc. I learned a lot. alot? One of the benefits of a smaller club I guess. It would be hard to gather the "Midwest Xterra" group together for an afternoon...

------------------
Thanks,
Puhnutmenum

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#175265 - 15/02/01 06:53 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
BigTom Offline

Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana
I like the Meguiars 3 step procedure. I wash my X twice, like legend, and then the 1st step (body scrub) removes anything else that is on the paint. The second step is the polish which gives the paint a wet appearance. The 3rd step is the actual wax, which protects the paint. Use a different applicator for each. It looks great afterwards!

------------------
'01 Silver Ice XE 4X4 3 pack V6 AT
BT

#175266 - 17/02/01 12:22 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
Awesome X Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA '00 Azt...
BT- I use the same process. Until about 4 yrs. ago, I tried every high dollar wax available. I don't feel any come close to Meguiars. Have any of you tried their Rubber & Vinyl Conditioner? I have never found this in any store, I've only got it through ordering direct from Meguiars. This stuff is great on the interior. Not greasy feeling like Armour All or STP. Meguiars stuff seems to always have a great smell as well. No I don't work for the company!

------------------
Cris
'00 Aztec Red 4X4 V6 XE 3 Pack

#175267 - 19/02/01 07:13 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
LovemyXnotmyEX Offline

Loc: Fordyce, AR, USA
I've tried so many waxes. Labels can definately be misleading. Turtle wax is okay but there are better waxes on the market. I thought zymol was terrible. Very hard to buff off. I had to even mist the buffed area to remove all of the wax residue. Nu Finish is a great wax but it is definately not a "once a year polish"! More like once a week. After a good rain and washing the nu finish protective coat has practically worn off. Check to see if the water beads after the first wash from waxing. This will give you a good indicator to look for to see when it might be time for a wax job. Meguire's is a great wax. I used their product for several years, that is until I found rain X's ultra wax. Very easy putting it on, and easy to buff off. It protects very well. I can't add up all of the money I've spent on the different types of waxes. When I tried rain-X for the first time, I knew it was a winner. I have not bought a different wax in 2 years because of how satisfied I have been. Who would have thought rain-X would have done so well in the wax products. happy waxin' the X's.

LovemyXnotmyEX
'01 super black, 3pack, xtreme package

------------------

#175268 - 05/03/01 01:05 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by Awesome X:
Have any of you tried their Rubber & Vinyl Conditioner? I have never found this in any store, I've only got it through ordering direct from Meguiars. This stuff is great on the interior. Not greasy feeling like Armour All or STP.

I'm with you on this one. I picked up a bottle at my local Auto Zone a couple of weeks ago, and I am thoroughly impressed with it.

------------------
Mindie
2001 Silver Ice
4x4 Automatic SE

#175269 - 05/03/01 07:40 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
mr_omerta Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Meguiar's all around...I used the Gold Class Clear Coat wax and it worked like a charm...Easy to put on and easy to come off and looked great! I also bought some of the #26 and I am going to try that next time just to see what I like better!

------------------
'01 Silver Ice SE 4x4

#175270 - 20/03/01 10:20 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
Xterra Freak Offline

Loc: Climax,NC, USA
I prefer Duragloss products. Have used the others, but have the best results with Duragloss. http://www.duragloss.com/

------------------

#175271 - 24/03/01 11:10 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
AlohaXterra Offline

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
Hey Awesome X, I just bought a bottle of that leather and vinyle cleaner today.. I f you have a checkers auto parts around, they sell it.. Worked like a charm..

------------------

#175272 - 24/03/01 11:25 PM Re: Turtle Wax?
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
jeezus, wash 2x and then wax in stages?! i got my xterra to get away from all that! you guys spend WAY too much time on your trucks.

seriuosly, tho- i think waxing every quarter is plenty of protection.

------------------

#175273 - 25/03/01 09:22 AM Re: Turtle Wax?
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by BigTom:
I like the Meguiars 3 step procedure. I wash my X twice, like legend, and then the 1st step (body scrub) removes anything else that is on the paint. The second step is the polish which gives the paint a wet appearance. The 3rd step is the actual wax, which protects the paint. Use a different applicator for each. It looks great afterwards!

Could anybody tell me where I might find this stuff? I've looked in a few auto stores and I'm not finding much. Lots of Meguires tire stuff, vinyl stuff, but no waxing products. What gives?

------------------
2000 Black SE 4x4, 5spd
=========================
"not all those who wander are lost"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

#175274 - 25/03/01 09:36 AM Re: Turtle Wax?
blue Offline

Loc: Erie, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by 2kxtra:

Could anybody tell me where I might find this stuff? I've looked in a few auto stores and I'm not finding much. Lots of Meguires tire stuff, vinyl stuff, but no waxing products. What gives?

I bought most of my Meguires products at the Auto Zone in Woburn. Wal-Mart carries a smaller selection of them, too.

------------------
Blue
'01 XE/3pk Auto
Just Blue 4x4

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal