shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175484 - 19/02/01 10:35 PM Wax On plastic
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
When I bought my X there were white spots on all the door handles, rear bumper, and roof rack. While taking every thing out of my old truck one of the detail guys tried for about 15 minutes to get it off but could not. They said it was the wax and told me to try goo gone on it. I tried Goo gone and the crap is still there after one run through a car wash. Any suggestions? Will post pics if necasary

------------------
B

AOL Screen name Ramness570

I Finally got one!!

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#175485 - 20/02/01 01:20 AM Re: Wax On plastic
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
I have used several things to get the white wax residue off on my car's plastic parts, rubbing alcohol, alcohol based window cleaner, and several other things. I think they make actual wax remover stuff though, check with your local auto parts store as they can probably help you more than me. In general I try to use whatever stuff I have in the garage that will disolve hydrophobic compounds (wax) but not be bad for the paint or plastic if I'm a little sloppy.

------------------
2001 SE 4x4 5-speed
Super Black

#175486 - 20/02/01 08:21 AM Re: Wax On plastic
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I use Wizards Black Renew. I use this after I wax and it removes the wax I get on the black trim. It works very well. You can find it at automotive stores.

------------------
'00 Solar Yellow XE
Automatic
3-pack

[This message has been edited by DeFibVT (edited 02-20-2001).]

#175487 - 20/02/01 12:13 PM Re: Wax On plastic
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Sounds like Mother's Back to Black. I used it and initially thought it worked like a charm, but a few days later I could still see some white residue on the plastic. I suppose I should take a toothbrush too it next time I try using it. It certainly smells nice though.

You probably won't believe this, but last time this came up there were several people that vouched for using peanut butter of all things, enough that I actually believe them. Only problem is you then have to clean off the peanut butter, which means you probably need to re-wax after the wash, which means you'll probably end up with wax on the plastic again...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#175488 - 20/02/01 12:40 PM Re: Wax On plastic
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
You probably won't believe this, but last time this came up there were several people that vouched for using peanut butter of all things, enough that I actually believe them. Only problem is you then have to clean off the peanut butter, which means you probably need to re-wax after the wash, which means you'll probably end up with wax on the plastic again...

Sounds like something straight out of "Dear Elouise!"

Ever see that Simpsons episode where Lisa gets gum in her hair, and Marge tries to take it out... With nearly everything in the kitchen? Hee hee.

But seriously... Can you scrape off these spots with a fingernail? Does it look like wax? Could it be paint kicked up from the road, perhaps? I've seen this happen - the highway department lays down fresh lines, but some yahoo just has to drive over it, misting the paint and kicking it up...

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#175489 - 21/02/01 12:33 AM Re: Wax On plastic
Awesome X Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA '00 Azt...
Meguiars Rubber & Vinyl Conditioner is what I use. The only place I've been able to get it is through Meguiars directly, about $7 a bottle.

------------------
Cris
'00 Aztec Red 4X4 V6 XE 3 Pack

#175490 - 21/02/01 08:50 PM Re: Wax On plastic
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I have tried peanut butter and it does work.

But it is messy as OffroadX pointed out, and you end up eating too much of it while you're working because even though you are taking care of your X and that is an excellent thing, it's really boring standing there with paper towels, toothbrush and whatever else you're using trying to rub it into the spots and keep it off the paint at the same time and after a while you just go out and get some Back to Black.

------------------

#175491 - 21/02/01 10:47 PM Re: Wax On plastic
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OffroadX:
[B]Sounds like Mother's Back to Black. I used it and initially thought it worked like a charm, but a few days later I could still see some white residue on the plastic. I suppose I should take a toothbrush too it next time I try using it. It certainly smells nice though.

Wizards has not left any residue anywhere that I can see. I think the stuff is great. Check it out.

------------------
'00 Solar Yellow XE
Automatic
3-pack

#175492 - 22/02/01 04:18 AM Re: Wax On plastic
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Oh, it wasn't residue from the Back to Black, it was some of the wax that I had been trying to remove that it didn't completely get.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#175493 - 22/02/01 09:14 AM Re: Wax On plastic
Al_in_NY Offline

Loc: western NY
When I first picked up my X I had a few wax streaks on my side molding . I tried several things to get it off, with no luck. Then one day I tried just rubbing it hard with my thumb. Believe it or not, that worked like a charm! It took a bit of rubbing but it wasn't too bad and the wax all came off. I had to rub hard enough to generate a little heat but my skin stayed on my thumb and didn't hurt at all!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal