2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175555 - 16/08/03 04:43 PM recommend using rain-X
Skifreak Offline

Loc: Valdez, AK
I want to put something like rain-x on my windows to help see in those rainy nights. Any suggestions and how good is that stuff. I heard it my leave a haze film on the window. Is that true.

#175556 - 16/08/03 05:01 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I love that stuff
i have it on All windows and mirrows

if you are not sure about it , why dont you do 1/10th of the windshield, some where on passenger side in the corner

and spray water at it, and see how you like it

#175557 - 16/08/03 08:32 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I like it on my side and rear windows, but for the front I just haven't had good experiences with it. In my experience it works great for about a week and then it smears and starts coming off because the wipers are running over it (don't believe the hype; you still have to use the wipers even if not as much). Having to apply the stuff every week is an annoyance for me.

#175558 - 16/08/03 08:54 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
i've used it for years and loved it.
after applying it to any window let it dry to a haze then wipe with clean towel. then i spray the windows with water and using a different towel dry it again. i've never really had a problem with it.

#175559 - 17/08/03 02:27 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
pretty good from the times i've used it. i live in socal so i'm more worried about staying from away from the god damn sweltering heat. don't want to know what it's like in some of the hotter states though.

#175560 - 17/08/03 06:12 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
Alpine Hoy Offline

Loc: Steelers Country
Spray Wax at the carwash is better. Spray wax your whole vehicle really well, then rinse it. Good stuff. Mine never stops beading.

#175561 - 17/08/03 08:12 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
ChuckH : i use 3-4 times as much as they say in directions, maybe thats why i dont have to reaply for 1-1.5 month

#175562 - 17/08/03 10:12 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I use it and love it. I recently tried the Castrol version and will switch back to Rain-X. The Castrol stuff seems to build up where the wipers end their sweep and clouds a bit where they don't sweep at all, Rain-X stays clear across the entire glass.
I do not advise that anyone use the washer fluid additive, it does the same as the Castrol but worse!

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#175563 - 17/08/03 12:48 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
They mention the haze in the instructions, to get rid of it they say that after the Rain-X dries to a haze wipe it down with a barely damp cloth.

The people that complain about haze just don't read the directions. [Finger]

And right after you put it on you don't really have to use the wipers but it looses potency after a week or two.

Xterra101.com

#175564 - 18/08/03 08:13 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've used it for years with great results. At highway speeds you won't need the wipers at all. This has saved my life 2 years ago when my wipers quit on my Sentra during a storm. Drove 90 miles home; would never have made it otherwise. Come to find out there was a recall on the wiper linkage the dealer never told me about. That is a different gripe for a different day. Just follow the directions and don't be afraid to use often. The more the merrier.

I put new wipers on my Xterra and they still streak and crap. Also the inside gets a film on it. No, I don't smoke. Anyone else want to gripe about this ooops I mean give me suggestions? [Crybaby]

#175565 - 18/08/03 11:28 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:

The people that complain about haze just don't read the directions. [Finger]
[Finger] Right back atchya. I have used the stuff for like 10 years and know how to apply it and rub it off. After sitting in direct sun when it's humid out, I get a hazy/cloudy buildup. It's actually more noticeable at night. The glare from street lights really shows the haze.

#175566 - 18/08/03 12:04 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xterra:
I've used it for years with great results. At highway speeds you won't need the wipers at all. This has saved my life 2 years ago when my wipers quit on my Sentra during a storm. Drove 90 miles home; would never have made it otherwise.
I have been using it since the 1980's. smile

In the 1990's I had a job driving 540 miles a day. With lag time it was a over 15 hour day. [Wave]

With Rain-X I never had to use my wipers. laugh [Freak] [Geek] cool

Personally I never had a problem that could not be buffed out. smile

They even have a NEW formula that you have to buff really good because it is opaque. Look at the bottom of this page.

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#175567 - 18/08/03 10:21 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have used RainX almost since it came out. I hate using my wipers and it drives my friends crazy. RainX kicks @$$ wink

#175568 - 19/08/03 04:19 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
The Rain X windshield wiper fluid is pretty good too. They make a winter version for ice and a summer version for bugs. It applies / refreshens Rain X whenever you use your windshield washer.

Not quite as good as a manual application, but not bad either.

#175569 - 19/08/03 05:53 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisNYC:
The Rain X windshield wiper fluid is pretty good too. They make a winter version for ice and a summer version for bugs. It applies / refreshens Rain X whenever you use your windshield washer.

Not quite as good as a manual application, but not bad either.
I'll give the exact opposite of this opinion. The Rain-x windshield fluid turned my clear hoses on my civic PINK!!!! It also ruined my $11.00 Micro-edge wipers. The rain-x does affect things. I can't seem to remove the wiper tracks that appear when spraying the windshield with a hose. You do have to constantly rewipe it on and then it only lasts a short while. It severely dried out and even ate away at my rubber wipers. After it wears off, it leaves a permanent haze (not visible, but when raining you can see why there are wiper tracks). It is good stuff when it's on. Really helps when your muddin. It's just the after affect.

Oh, and the de-icer or winter rain-x DOES leave a greasy film on the windshield!!! My dad had to run it all out and flush the reservoir with dawn soap and water 3 times. DO NOT use that stuff. It's a logical idea, but the key is YOU HAVE TO WIPE OFF THE HAZE- you can't do that at 45 mph.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#175570 - 19/08/03 06:53 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't like the washer stuff either. I had to run it all out of my system because it was doing the same thing. Drove me nuts.

#175571 - 27/08/03 08:39 AM Re: recommend using rain-X
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
The best feature (undocumented) about rain-x is, that it makes bug splatter come off easier too. We do a lot a driving on FM roads in TX at night on our trips from DFW to the Grandparents around Houston (leaving after work on Fridays). I have found that doing the windshield just before we leave makes all the bug splatter come off with just the windshield fluid and wipers. I've tried most the brands of wiper fluid out there, and nothing has worked as well as just applying rain-x before the trip.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#175572 - 28/08/03 02:33 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! So many differing opinions. Here's mine.

Started using Rain-X about 8-10 years ago. Really liked the beading up of rain and not needing the wipers as much. It also helps to keep the windshield cleaner longer. My wife hated it until just a couple of years ago. Now she insists I put on her car (Saturn) as well.

Yes, it does take some work to put it on CORRECTLY. Squirt it on a soft rag, rub it on like you were waxing the glass by hand (really you are) and then let it dry thoroughly. Make sure the glass is cool also (that means not hot, not good looking!). It will definately haze when it's dry. Then use a cloth (paper towels work well) to buff it off until clear again. Here's where the work comes in. It takes a LOT of buffing to do it correctly. Once it's on correctly, it lasts for a long time (a couple of months).

As far as the washer fluid is concerned, it says that it is supposed to help maintain the rub on stuff. I have found it really does. I just bought my X a couple of months ago (it hasn't even had it's first oil change yet) and I am waiting for the reservoir to drain so I can fill it with Rain-X's washer fluid. Can't come up with a good reason for wasting what's already there.

Anyway, if you put it on with some work, I think you'll be really pleased with it.

Just my .02 worth...

#175573 - 28/08/03 03:13 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
AbsXtreme Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach SC USA
I use the concentrate and I have not had any problems.

#175574 - 28/08/03 03:36 PM Re: recommend using rain-X
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
With any product, there are those who swear by it and those who don't like it. Buy a bottle of it; it's not that expensive. Try it for yourself and see what you think.

I've used it frequently, but I often forget to apply it when it's most needed- when it's raining! You can't apply Rain-X on a wet vehicle. The glass surface and the rag you use to apply the stuff can't be wet.

For me the bottom line is this: If water sheets on the glass instead of beads up (even if it doesn't roll off), Rain-X helps. If you expect never to use your wipers after applying a coat of Rain-X, your expectations are too high.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal