shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175908 - 05/05/04 02:47 PM 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did everything on that truck! Topped everything off with the big M's 3 step process (clean paint, polish, wax). What took me the most time though was getting all of the tar off the X from the winter and crap. That will teach me to go 11 months without a wax job. I'd take a pic but I don't want to get crucified for a pavement shot.

#175909 - 05/05/04 03:30 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Why don't you come over & do mine now. laugh While you're at it, see if you can buff out some of my "Custom Ozark" pinstriping.

#175910 - 05/05/04 03:32 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suspect2,

I absolutely do not beleive one word you said without pic's...

[Finger]

Indy

#175911 - 05/05/04 05:24 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
There is no way it took you 7 hours of constant work! I think you are exagerating by about 2-3 hours.

#175912 - 05/05/04 05:28 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe he is exagerating by 2-4 6 packs. laugh

#175913 - 05/05/04 06:12 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sweet; seems everyone's getting into the "Spring cleaning" mode! After doing all that to mine a few days ago I went out and drove on a dusty dirt road today and then it rained on it! Well, it was clean for a couple days anyway! laugh

#175914 - 05/05/04 07:15 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe 7 hours. Ive done 5 hours on my X and the only reason i stopped is because it started to get too dark.

#175915 - 05/05/04 07:58 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Lincoln Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Maybe he is exagerating by 2-4 6 packs. laugh
Now that I could believe! [LOL]

Beer does make it seem like you are spending less time to do something than you really are.

#175916 - 05/05/04 08:38 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lincolnnellie:
There is no way it took you 7 hours of constant work! I think you are exagerating by about 2-3 hours.
Nope. 7 hrs with just a quick piss break. Of course, I was in no hurry to get it done but it was 7 solid hours. I have a TON of tar on the paint that needed to be clayed. I bet I spent 2 hours on that alone. Then the 3 step process took some time as well (apply paint cleaner/wipe, apply polish/wipe, apply wax/wipe).

#175917 - 06/05/04 11:07 AM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Lincoln Offline

I can see it now with the tar removal. Good job...I am sure your X appreciates it!

#175918 - 06/05/04 01:05 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You take the Tar off? I figure it helps keep the mud from sticking.

#175919 - 06/05/04 02:50 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Black2002X:
I believe 7 hours. Ive done 5 hours on my X and the only reason i stopped is because it started to get too dark.
Me too it just depends on how anal about you are. Like I'll all the grooves on the kick plates, and take off the seats and some on the plastic on the inside and clean under them.

#175920 - 06/05/04 02:55 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK with a ton o tar I believe it.

#175921 - 06/05/04 11:03 PM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
Ajax Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Even without the tar I would believe 7 hours. Heck when I wax my truck once a month I spend 6-7 hours on it. It's 3 for a normal wash. Sad thing is, you really can't tell a difference when I finish.

But, I am sure that Suspect can attest to this. Its the detail work that makes the difference!! Now the rest of you can go to the touchless car wash and have at it :p

#175922 - 07/05/04 06:54 AM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I can completely relate. It's been about a year since I gave my X any attention other than a touchless wash, or the usual self-serve blast-down after 'wheeling. Last time I actually did it myself at the house it took most of the day.
I always plan to put down at least 2 layers of Liquid Glass but after washing, trying to spiff up some of the more obvious trail pinstriping, applying Back To Black, and laying down and polishing one coat of LG, my arms are pretty worn out. I take a break and clean and Rain-X all the windows, and at that point the day is pretty well gone, the wife is sick of me paying more attention to the X than her, and I'm just beat, so that second coat never gets on there.
I'm ready to pay someone to detail the thing next time. It needs the floor shampooed after at least 2 instances of skanky muddy water coming in too. I had planned long ago to treat my X to a full detail job on it's "birthday" every year, but never followed through.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#175923 - 08/05/04 06:49 AM Re: 7 hrs of cleaning the X today.
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
7 hours sounds about right....I did the 3 step after washing the X about 2 weeks ago...had a power buffer and still took like 6 hours...So many nooks and krannies where the mud hides...biggest one I found on the '00 X was on the outside of the inner wheel wells where there is a little shelf...had to be an inch thick of caked mud all around....I couldnt believe what was in there...there was was still rocks and dirt from my trip to Labrador 2 years ago!!!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal