shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176633 - 26/06/02 10:53 AM Front bumper question
GoldRush02 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey guys,

I just happened to glance over my front bumper today and I noticed I have three little 'scratches' or white marks on the bumper in various places -- I assume something came up off the road and nicked the front bumper. anyways, I used some Plexus and it worked a little, but they are still present and it's really tickin' me off. any idea how to remove them?

Thanks!

#176634 - 26/06/02 01:03 PM Re: Front bumper question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
You can remove them with slight burnishing or even, yes - a propane torch. Hit the spots with a steady movement of the torch over the area. You want to *just* heat them up, not melt plastic(!) This will gloss up with plastic and darken it again. The best would be one of those mini soldering iron type torches, but a bigger one should do in a pinch.

Or, just do what I've been doing - cover 'em up with Mother's "Back to Black." laugh

#176635 - 26/06/02 02:07 PM Re: Front bumper question
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
My answer would be get rid of the wimpy stock bumper and put on a Calmini or ARB winch bumper. Guess that's an expensive way to address little scratches, but hey, you asked....
That would be funny if it wasn't what I did smile (I had a bit more than scratches though)

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#176636 - 26/06/02 02:14 PM Re: Front bumper question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Yeah, but isn't the idea of an ARB/Calmini/TJM to get into the wild and ADD MORE SCRATCHES? laugh

#176637 - 26/06/02 02:28 PM Re: Front bumper question
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
No, its so you can cream cows at 50 MPH and get away with it (who was that anyway?)

#176638 - 26/06/02 04:29 PM Re: Front bumper question
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I thought they were only good for hitting washing machines. smile

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#176639 - 26/06/02 07:15 PM Re: Front bumper question
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
It was me. TJM vs cow at about 50 mph. TJM 1 cow 0.

#176640 - 02/07/02 02:16 PM Re: Front bumper question
JP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
You can remove them with slight burnishing or even, yes - a propane torch.
laugh
WOW! Great tip...

I had some deep ugly scratches on the rear interior hatch from hauling around a metal tubular tripod. While driving down the I-10 fwy (which is infamous for it's washboard surface) the dang tripod worked it's way to the back, then the sharp metal feet started grinding away at the gray plastic. Before I realized what was happening and secured the darn thing, it had done some real damage to the X. mad

However...

This afternoon I followed your advice and CAREFULLY applied the flame from my butane torch to the affected area, always moving back and forth, keeping an even distribution of heat. I also set the torch at the lowest setting possible.

Man, the scratches and gouges disappeared before my very eyes. A little B2B after cooling it down and once again it looked brand new. laugh

Thanks for the tip Bro! [Smoking]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal