shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176795 - 26/04/05 04:51 PM Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

My next new mod may be around the corner.
As some of you know I am having some peeling issues with my paint on the top tube rails.
I have come up with a plan to re-vitalize my balls ... err Bars.

I have taken wax paper and traced the "XTERRA" into it so as to make a stencil. I think when it gets even worse I am going to strip the bar of all paint, lay some primer down, find a dark grey/black paint for the base and in my love of the color I will then paint the "XTERRA" in yellow.

Has anyone used a specific paint on their truck, or other utilities they like?

This is me just thinking ahead trying to come up with wicked solutions.

#176796 - 26/04/05 05:20 PM Re: Paint the Bars
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I stripped and repainted my bars last fall, so far they're holding up OK. I'm going to do it again soon, and properly this time, meaning I'll use some aluminum primer first, then blast a few coats of black matte on top. Right now it looks good, but chips easily.

#176797 - 26/04/05 06:11 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need to paint mine over, too—the original paint flaked way too easily, and the "XTERRA" stickers, well—I just ripped them off anyways (I have a label thing going on).

What type of paint is best? I imagine gloss would be hardest to get "right" … I've been thinking of a rough, textured black of some kind but there might be problems with that. I think, though, I might put some non-slip stuff up on top or on the inside, as my hands sometimes slip off the bars when it's wet and cold.

I'd be interested in anyone's results (pix are always nice).

#176798 - 26/04/05 06:25 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the VAXCers said I should get the tubes "Herculined" [LOL] [ThumbsUp]

#176799 - 26/04/05 07:13 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowFunk:
One of the VAXCers said I should get the tubes "Herculined" [LOL] [ThumbsUp]
I didn't know what that was, so I Googled ... I think I'll stay away from that stuff …

Hootus?

#176800 - 27/04/05 04:16 AM Re: Paint the Bars
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I can't tell if you mean the stock steps or rock sliders...as in, are you painting aluminum or steel?

The key to avoid delamination is compatibility with the substrate and appropriate prep work to allow adhesion.

I wouldn't bother to put any effort into the aluminum steps, as they'd get bent, twisted, wrecked off road anyway...but for a road warrior rig that doesn't get off road, I suppose it would be OK.

laugh

If you are talking about steel sliders, the bottoms and sides get gouged, scraped, etc against rocks and so forth, and the tops get wear and tear from standing on them, getting in/out of the rig, etc.

If you are painting the sides with XTERRA, etc...and you rub against something, it will damage pretty much any words.

Your best bet in that case would be to actually etch the words into the steel, essentially making the letters further from the steel's outer surface, and making the outline areas of the letters protect the worded part.

Aluminum is easier to etch than steel, but, again, if you have AL, you are probably not concerned with impacts.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#176801 - 27/04/05 05:36 AM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

NO NO NO ... talking about the TOP tube rails. the ones that faithfully hold up your safari racks. [LOL]

#176802 - 27/04/05 09:08 AM Re: Paint the Bars
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
laugh

Doh

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#176803 - 27/04/05 11:17 AM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

NP
[ThumbsUp]

#176804 - 29/04/05 04:12 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just painted my racks a month ago with bedliner in a can. I disassembled all the parts, sanded them down, cleaned them and they seem to be holding up rather well. I also did my sidesteps the weekend after and they are holding up very well too. No signs of chipping or scratching. The color turned out to be in between flat and matte black when dryed.
Here's a pic. email me if you want a bigger one to get a closer view.
[img] [img]http://img253.echo.cx/img253/4083/p40500146mq.th.jpg[/img] [/IMG]

#176805 - 30/04/05 08:48 AM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks real sharp, eXiled. What did you do to protect the Xterra logo on the roof rack?

#176806 - 30/04/05 04:05 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used fine line tape, or painters tape, to cover the letters. You can get it at any place that sells automotive paint/body products. Regular masking tape would work too, but i would use 3m since most other brand tapes aren't very sticky. I did leave the crossbars on the roof rack silver. I was going to paint them later, but they actually turned out looking alright against the black rack and silver paint of my X. They also seem to take the most beating when i throw my boards and other stuff up there so i dont have to worry about scratching them up, which is nice.

happy X'n

#176807 - 30/04/05 04:21 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

nice job and good idea...

#176808 - 14/05/05 10:00 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Exiled, what kind of paint did you use? It looks great, I might try that sometime soon.

#176809 - 15/05/05 12:45 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used spray-on bedliner, can't remember the exact name. I bought it at advance auto parts, but I'm sure they sell it at any other auto parts store. I also bought a metal degreaser/pre-paint cleaner which I used before I sanded, so as not to dig the grime into the paint, as well as after I sanded. Taking extra steps in preparation makes the paint adhere better and last longer.
good luck!

#176810 - 15/05/05 11:20 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I touched up mine and wanted them the same color they originally were so I used Eastwoods Silver Rust Encapsulator which is almost impossible to chip off after it dries.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/produ...iProductID=1139

Tom

#176811 - 16/05/05 11:14 AM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone know the name of the stuff to use if you want them black??

So sanding them down, using primer, and then spray painting them black is the best way to do it??

Just want to know what the name of the spray paint at home depot or wherever is.... confused

matt

#176812 - 16/05/05 11:24 AM Re: Paint the Bars
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
Use Krylon Hammered Black finish.

#176813 - 17/05/05 07:07 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

matt-
All you need to do is scuff the factory paint, then you won't need to use a primer, unless you have deep scratches, etc. I found a can in the garage of what i used, Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating which i bought at Advance Auto parts.
I'm sure that the krylon method mentioned above would work just as well also. I just liked the thickness/protection that the bedliner gives.
happy painting

#176814 - 22/05/05 07:08 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone use any other stuff besides the bed liner in a can? How did it work?

confused

#176815 - 24/05/05 03:14 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a silver X, just like the one pictured. Would the top bars look good if I painted them like a metallic blue color? In the pics forum, I saw a blue car with a metallic orange, and it looked pretty sweet.

#176816 - 24/05/05 06:39 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Placebo... you do what you think is going to enhance your ownership. Thats why they call them modifications, you make them your own. if I listened to some of my club members when I told them what I intended to do with my air deflector it would've not gotten done. http://www.geocities.com/gfunk1127/DubsX5.html

If you think it will increase your hotness go for it. [ThumbsUp]

#176817 - 25/05/05 07:34 AM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

YellowFunk: I had that same steering wheel cover as you, only in silver. Is the black grip part ripping and tearing off on yours? That's what happened to me. Had to strip all of the black stuff off, and eventually had to chuck it.

Once I find the right paint color, I may just do that. Here's the color I'm looking for. One day, it shall be mine!

PS, that racing stripe looks sweet.

#176818 - 25/05/05 07:48 PM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I'm really liking that stripe. Neat idea.

[ThumbsUp]

#176819 - 26/05/05 09:15 AM Re: Paint the Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the compliments. I like it b/c it reflects light at night.

and YES that steering wheel SUCKS big hairy ape balls. I dreamed last night of throwing it away so I am going to today. I am also going to autozone to find a nuther yallow one.

That blue would kick ever-lovin dog snott for top tube rack color. just find some sort of really thin protecton for it from your cross bar clamps. something as thin as the cloth people use to clean CDs with, that way you won't scratch it up much from the clamps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal