2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177357 - 19/08/01 03:25 PM pin stripe removal?
Neo Offline

Loc: Webster, Texas
Got the X with dealer installed pin strips and I want them gone!! Any ideas except sanding and repainting the whole truck?

#177358 - 19/08/01 04:49 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Loc: TX
I got mine from Tom Peacock in Houston and it had a pinstripe put on it by the dealer. Mine was handpainted on. I'd check with your dealer first to find out what their recommendation would be.

#177359 - 19/08/01 04:54 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
XTONKA Offline

Loc: Kailua Hawaii
Most likely, they are made of Vinyl rather than paint. If so you can go at them with a hairdryer. Heat them up little by little. (maybe 1 foot of stripe at a time) and carefully peel them off. Once you have the stripes removed, you will have to remove some traces of adhesive. This can be done with WD-40 or lighter fluid. Test first in a hidden area to make sure there are no adverse reactions from the WD40 or lighter fluid. Once you have removed everything you will need to wax any areas you worked on. Hopefully your Xterra hasn't been on the lot too long or you might have some paint fade in which case you will still be able to see where the stripes were. Good luck and take your time.

Chaney

#177360 - 20/08/01 05:34 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
Neo Offline

Got mine at Tom Peacock also. They are hand painted on, and I really don't want to go back there. I didn't have a very good truck buying experience there and I lost faith in their parts and service department. (IDIOTS!!)

#177361 - 20/08/01 08:38 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Loc: TX
Neo,
If that's the case, then it was painted and I don't know what you can do about that. Maybe someone else knows.

Who was your salesperson? I had an ok experience... they worked miracles to get me the financing that I got and I got an INCREDIBLE deal on my truck because of their mistake! smile Mine didn't have a pinstripe already, so they gave me the option if I wanted it. I noticed though that most of theirs already had the stripe on them.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Griffin's_Girl ]

#177362 - 20/08/01 08:40 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
Ok, any paint shop should be able to remove it fairly easily. They are painted on. I would recommend calling an Xpert.

#177363 - 21/08/01 08:32 AM Re: pin stripe removal?
Neo Offline

Goin' to the body shop today to see about the removal!

#177364 - 24/08/01 09:28 AM Re: pin stripe removal?
Neo Offline

Well, got an estimate from several shops. They all said the same thing, 300+ or just live with it. One shop said they wouldn't even touch it!!

#177365 - 24/08/01 12:13 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo:
Got mine at Tom Peacock also. They are hand painted on, and I really don't want to go back there. I didn't have a very good truck buying experience there and I lost faith in their parts and service department. (IDIOTS!!)

write a letter to the dealership about your experience and deliver it in person if possible. give a copy to the sales manager and parts department manager and mail a copy to Nissan USA. many dealerships will make concessions to keep you happy as they want you to buy another vehicle and parts from them in the future. if they do nothing for you, then you are no further ahead or behind then you are now.

#177366 - 24/08/01 10:40 PM Re: pin stripe removal?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
that sucks! frown My truck came with a complete graphics package on the sides that looked like crap. Thankfully it was vinyl and I was able to do the hairdryer trick and peel it off the first week I had it. I wish I could find a picture of it...you guys would hurl!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal