shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177648 - 17/04/01 08:57 PM Paint & Fabric Treatment
Bill H Offline

Loc: Northern NJ USA
Just got my Xterra a couple of days ago. I passed on most of the added extras but opted for the Sears Paint and Fabric Treatment. Once a year, every year for 5 years, the dealer will treat the Paint with a Teflon like protective coating (which can be washed and waxed like other vehicles after the application) and restoring it to "like new" condition every year. The inside gets treated with a substance similar to a scotchguard but much better and more durable. Has anyone gotten this done. And if so, what do you think about it?

------------------
2001 Xterra 4x4 SE Yellow

#177649 - 17/04/01 09:26 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
BigTom Offline

Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana
I have never heard of the paint treatment before. All I know is wax, and this has done good for me so far. I have used scotchgaurd type stuff on my interior, but bought it myself. I say if you paid any more than $50 for it, you could have done all that yourself for less. Wax does as good as anything to protect the paint and clearcoat (with routine application) and is not that difficult to do, and one application of scotchgaurd should do the trick. I'd say they took your money, but then again, what do I know?

------------------
BT

#177650 - 18/04/01 07:11 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
Teflon and Silicone sealants are very popular these days. If done properly, they can make your exterior nearly bullet proof against the elements. We sell a service which includes the exterior completely color-sanded, and then a pain sealant, for around $550.00. This comes with a 4 year guarantee, as well as making your paint look awesome.

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#177651 - 19/04/01 11:38 AM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Hey Carl,

You're local... Which Sear's do you work
at... I live in Pasadena... Let me know...
This sounds interesting...

- Air Butchie

------------------
Xterra 2001 SE 4x2
Air Butchie Productions

#177652 - 19/04/01 06:16 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Carl Offline

Not Sears.

I own and operate a Hand Car Wash and Detail Business in Torrance. You have any questions, call me at 310-849-4822. I would even do the service for fellow X'ers at a discount.

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#177653 - 19/04/01 06:39 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Littlefeach Offline

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ont Canada
Okay will a can of 3m scotchard at an autoparts store help in anyway? or what can i get off the shelf? don't have to many dollars these days....closed the deal on my X 3 days ago and picking it up end of month....anything available in Toronto?

------------------

#177654 - 19/04/01 06:40 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Littlefeach Offline

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ont Canada
Okay will a can of 3m scotchard at an autoparts store help in anyway? or what can i get off the shelf? don't have to many dollars these days....closed the deal on my X 3 days ago and picking it up end of month....anything available in Toronto?

------------------

#177655 - 19/04/01 09:32 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Carl Offline

yes, the product will help, and it's not to expensive. That stuff also works on your jackets, tents, etc.

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#177656 - 20/04/01 10:04 PM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Bill H Offline

Loc: Northern NJ USA
Hi Gang,
Here's an update. I got both the teflon paint & fabric treatment today. I don't know how long it will last but it looks awesome today. The prep tech said that it needs to cure for about 10 days and then I can wash / wax normally. For those not in Carl's area rinse the dirt first then wash with a mild detergent followed by a paste type wax containing carnuba. It is gauranteed for 5 years. I am paying $6 per month extra for this service. The service will be repeated once a year for the total of 5 years. So if you think about it $6 per month ($72 per year) $72 is not a bad price to pay for a hand wash, wax, interior & exterior detailing, and application of the teflon sealer and scotchguard. So to those of you not sure, so far I am happy with it.

------------------
2001 Xterra 4x4 SE Yellow

#177657 - 22/04/01 05:24 AM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
Christobal Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA
I just got my X two weeks ago and I declined the paint/undercoating package. I did, however, talk the dealer into giving me a kit containg the products (Auto Armor) they treat the car with. I've heard many times that the Auto Armor Teflon coating is really great and that the $400 or so package inclues mainly the application of this product for a few years.

I'm hoping to get a chance to apply it to my new addition as soon as I get a moment when it is not raining or expected to rain.

Chris

------------------

#177658 - 22/04/01 06:05 AM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
Can you get 'Auto Armor' in a parts store ? ... I've been using good old Turtle Wax for the finish and Turtle Wax Formula 2000 in place of Armor All ... to date, I've been satisfied ...

I'd like suggestions on something for the tires that is not glossy ...

I got my dealer to give me one of the Finish/Appearance packages as well, but am not waiting one year to see how good it is and/or whether or not they'll 'refinish' at the end of one year ...

Comments ?

------------------
Pepper Kay
'01 XE 3 pack 4x4
auto - SWXC #39
Alpine Green

#177659 - 22/04/01 09:14 AM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
FYI, if I recall correctly, Scotchgard is being phased out, get it while you can.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#177660 - 22/04/01 11:07 AM Re: Paint & Fabric Treatment
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
FYI, if I recall correctly, Scotchgard is being phased out, get it while you can.

Brent

I just heard that too. Something about it being bad for ya. Who cares if it's bad for ya if it keeps your seats clean? Priorities man!

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

[This message has been edited by ILUVMYX (edited 04-22-2001).]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal