2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177754 - 18/09/03 09:18 AM water marks on paint
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a stupid and let sprinkler water dry on my hood. How I can't get the water marks off the paint. I tried vineger and water still no luck. Any suggestions? Please help frown

#177755 - 18/09/03 10:36 AM Re: water marks on paint
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clay bar would work nicely. Quick and easy too!

#177756 - 18/09/03 10:18 PM Re: water marks on paint
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whats a clay bar?

#177757 - 18/09/03 10:33 PM Re: water marks on paint
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Clay bars, totally non-abrasive bars remove surface contamination, rail dust, industrial fallout and overspray, water spots, acid rain.

Can be found at any automotive store or any place that sells car wax.

#177758 - 20/09/03 02:42 PM Re: water marks on paint
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been looking for clay bars and or the clay three step wax system in all of my local stores and haven't found them stocked anywhere. Hell, I even went against my strict "NO WALMART" policy and checked there. I'll have to break down and buy it on ebay I soppose.

#177759 - 20/09/03 07:25 PM Re: water marks on paint
Pumpkinhead Offline

Loc: Canada
Er, clay bar is TOTALLY ABRASIVE... that's how it works. It shears contaminants, oversprays, etc... to get rid of the marks, get a detailing spray (Maguire's or another between was polish) or wash and wax the truck - they'll go away. Unless your sprinkler was shooting acid or something!!! They are a pain in the ass, but they only really piss me off on glass.

#177760 - 20/09/03 09:27 PM Re: water marks on paint
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkinhead:
They are a pain in the ass, but they only really piss me off on glass.
Try No Touch Auto Glass Stripper. Works so well I used it on the horribly pitted shower doors that came with my house to get the water spots off!

#177761 - 21/09/03 08:06 PM Re: water marks on paint
Anonymous
Unregistered

Out here in the mountain west the groundwater is heavily mineralized and only a day or two of sprinkler overspray will leave the ugliest water spots you've ever seen, bad enough to catch your fingernail on sometimes. I've tried just about every normal method out there including several cleaner waxes, the clay bar, etc. None of them have really been very effective and only cover up the spots a bit or have a minimal effect.

One day I decided to try Scrub Free soap scum removed which is a mild acid. Most of the cleaners of this type say not to use on painted surfaces, but Scrub Free doesn't and its also a different type of acid from most others, so I gave it a shot. I wet the hood pretty well, sprayed a bit on and rubbed lightly with a damp terry cloth towel. I left it only only about a minute before rinsing VERY well. In about 5 minutes I got better results than a couple of hours with any other method. Sometime I've had to repeat the process 2 or 3 times, but the spots evetually disappear.

I might be doing some mild long term damage but I haven't seen any. I always follow-up with a good cleaner wax afterward. The only downside I've seen is some slight discoloration of plastic parts if you don't get it rinsed off quickly. I little Back To Black seems to clear that up mostly.

It works for me, and I haven't found anything else that does. Use at your own risk though

Kurt

#177762 - 21/09/03 08:18 PM Re: water marks on paint
off2cjb Offline

What do you use when the clay bar is not able to take the spots off?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal