shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177804 - 10/02/01 02:28 PM Automatic Car Wash
kyledavis Offline

Loc: Auburndale, MA, USA 2001 Silve...
Ok, I realize it's sacreligious to suggest I do anything other than hand-wash my new baby, but it's the middle of winter here so the hoses are stored, and the idea of standing at one of the self-service bays in the freezing cold doesn't exactly thrill me.

So, has anyone had any problems bringing the X through a car wash? I'm worried about 2 things... the roof rack, and the antenna. Also, does the back get clean? The car washes are designed to wash, ahem, cars ... not trucks with a flat back, right?

------------------
2001 Silver Ice 4x4 SE V6 Auto ... finally here!

#177805 - 10/02/01 02:52 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
BigTom Offline

Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana
I have taken mine to an auto carwash (But touchless only). We also have a Mikes Carwash and someone always sprays the back of cars to make sure they are clean. The roof behind the wind deflector does not get real clean, so you may want to spray that off before you go through. You won't have a problem with your antenna because they are flexable. Only power antennas should be put down before entering a carwash. Hope That helps!

------------------
BT

#177806 - 10/02/01 03:59 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Watch out! I use a touch less whenever I fill up at a certain station. I guess that is how and where I lost the rubber gasket on the faring. It's on order but that is the only place I think it could have come loose / off. I never saw it bail out ????

------------------
Roger

#177807 - 10/02/01 06:13 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
I used a touchless many times before I added all of my lights and there was never a problem

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
31" BFG M/T's, ARB, Rancho RSX's
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#177808 - 10/02/01 06:22 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I use one occassionaly when too lazy to wash by hand and I haven't had a problem. My rear window and back of the truck get clean too. However, I don't have the rear spoiler.

------------------
'00 Solar Yellow XE
Automatic
3-pack

#177809 - 10/02/01 11:56 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
Awesome X Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA '00 Azt...
I have taken my X through some soft cloth washes with no problem. I do fold the outside mirrors in to avoid possible damage.

------------------
Cris
'00 Aztec Red 4X4 V6 XE

[This message has been edited by Awesome X (edited 02-11-2001).]

#177810 - 11/02/01 01:19 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
Nova Offline

Loc: Fremont, CA, United States
I took my X trough the car wash once and I will never do it again. The car wash missed a lot of spots on my X and I ended up washing it myself over again anyway. Before i went through the wash I took off the antenna and i also took off the basket and folded the mirrors in. This was a one time deal and never again will i subject my X to the horrors of the automatic car wash. Touchless car washes are the worst. When you take you x through the touchles type it uses high pressure sprayers. If you have a chip in the paint the constant high pressure of the sprayers in the touchless type will cause that chip to start getting water under it and it will get worse and worse with every wash with high pressure sprayers, also it is not good to use high pressure sprayers on bearing seals or any seals that have grease in them unless you plan to re-grease them. Take good care of your X and it will last you forever.

------------------
"I want the world, I want the whole world, give it to me."

Veruca Salt
Willy Wanca's Chocolate Factory

[This message has been edited by Nova (edited 02-11-2001).]

Veruca Salt
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

#177811 - 11/02/01 06:29 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
I've had no problems, unless you expect it to get clean. I mean, it's nice to rinse off the road scum in a quicky situation, or, as a preliminary to a more thorough hand-washing. Never a problem with the rack or anything though.

------------------

#177812 - 14/02/01 12:23 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by xterraintx:
I guess that is how and where I lost the rubber gasket on the faring.

Okay, excuse my blatent lack of knowledge about automobiles, but what is the faring? I'm just curious...

------------------
Mindie
2001 Silver Ice
4x4 Automatic SE

#177813 - 15/02/01 06:21 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Mindie -
I suspect reference is being made to the black plastic air deflector at the front of the roof rack. There should be a rubber strip along the lower edge. These strips have been reported to come off. In addition, there is (or should be) a clear piece of tape on the paint so the paint is not scratched by the rubber strip.

dave and Xtoy - nothing is simple

------------------

#177814 - 15/02/01 03:33 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
Funny, I've had no trouble at all with my deflector. But that may have something to do with the fact it spend less than an hour on my truck before I took it off with the basket.

Seriously though, "soft cloth" carwashes are evil in the long run. How soft is the cloth going to be after being rubbed across 2 dozen oither dirty cars? Especially during the winter here in MA. I occassionally use the touchless washes to get the worst of the salt and sand off, but once it's warm again... back to the weekly hand washing. It's really the best way to go. Besides these always that special sense of pride as you gaze upon that beautifully clean X you just got done with. Hell, if it were 10 degrees warmer I'd probably be out there tomorrow.

------------------
2000 Black SE 4x4, 5spd
=========================
"not all those who wander are lost"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

#177815 - 15/02/01 06:43 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
BigTom Offline

I can't wait for the sunny days to hit. My X has only seen cold weather. I got it in October and It hasn't been above 60 degrees since!! I am looking forward to the Sunday wash/wax/cruise!!

------------------
'01 Silver Ice XE 4X4 3 pack V6 AT
BT

#177816 - 16/02/01 08:28 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
There's a great car wash in town that hand washes your car for $9, $14 or $23. First they vaccuum the mats, then pressure wash w/soap the entire truck to get rid of surface funk. More soap is dripped on as two dudes with two mitts each lather up the truck. Rinse. Triple coating of hot wax, then an air-dry. Once outside, they wipe down the entire truck, clean all the windows and apply protectant to the tires.

Comes out like new.

Very cool for the Winter, when you can't, or don't want to wash your X yourself. See if there's one in your town - and avoid the "brushless" ones with the hanging rags. Ugh.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#177817 - 19/02/01 08:44 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
Bayou Boy Offline

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I tried to go through this one car wash the other day and for the first time i didn't fit.

But I guess I can't expect to with a safari rack, lights, and a hi-lift on top.

------------------

#177818 - 20/02/01 01:13 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
My wife took our X through one of those "soft cloth" washes the other day, and the X sustained what I would describe as the same amount of damage as a three mile drive through a blackberry field. Small scratches down both sides, on fender edges, on rear hatch, etc... Needless to say, I beat my wife within an inch of her life for this. (Just Kidding, but I did tell her to never even think about doing this again).
A new coat of wax did seem to hide most of this stuff, but what it really needs is a good professional buffing.

This may not be noticeable to everyone on your X's but on super black, with no mettallic to hide small scratches, it's pretty bad.

I never ever use those auto washes, always hand wash, unless there is no time and lots of salt, then one of those spray it yourself washes is the best alternative.

------------------
2001 SE 4x4 5-speed
Super Black

[This message has been edited by kandacarlson (edited 02-20-2001).]

#177819 - 20/02/01 04:30 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
Wy_Xterra Offline

Loc: Gillette, WY. USA
I've taken my to a "no touch" wash here, and found out that my decals on the roof rack keep coming off.

Needless to say I now hand wash mine, make sure keep the hoses drained, since it is winter.

Kinda a bummer though, Sometimes have to wait a while before wash for warmer weather. (above 25), but is a pain as that's usually when the snow is melting and just gets it dirty again.

Russ

#177820 - 20/02/01 09:08 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
XtraYellow Offline

Loc: New York
The first time I took my X to a car wash, I was just as traumatized as "she" was, and I stayed inside with her. I now give her a wash every Sunday night after my weekend out doing all sorts of stuff. The biggest problem I've had, weather it's hand-wash, or not, after I come out of the wash and the guys (and me) have dried it completely, as I drive away, IT happens. It starts with a thread of water falling on the driver side window at the very left corner, then the right corner and as I keep driving and breaking, it starts rolling to the side mirrors and finally the back. I rush back to my indoor garage and attempt to wipe every droplet with a shammy (?) off the windows and sit and wait there until all the water has dried up. I'm so pathetic. Is there any way to stop this from happening?!? I have a feeling it's the basket up front on top that the guys can't get to, and being a 5"1 petite girl that I am, it's hard for me too. Help!!

2001 Yellow Xterra
Melissa, NYC

Quote:
Originally posted by kyledavis:
Ok, I realize it's sacreligious to suggest I do anything other than hand-wash my new baby, but it's the middle of winter here so the hoses are stored, and the idea of standing at one of the self-service bays in the freezing cold doesn't exactly thrill me.

So, has anyone had any problems bringing the X through a car wash? I'm worried about 2 things... the roof rack, and the antenna. Also, does the back get clean? The car washes are designed to wash, ahem, cars ... not trucks with a flat back, right?

------------------

#177821 - 20/02/01 10:03 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
BoarderPhreak Offline

Never, never, never, never... Err - never go to a "brushless" automatic carwash. Those things SUCK! Basically hanging flaps contaminated with all the crap from the cars before you, waiting to scratch your ride.

Wash it yourself, or find a good handwashing car wash!

If you own a Super Black - especially!

------------------

#177822 - 21/02/01 08:40 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
PatentCowboy Offline

Loc: NYC, NY
Hey BoarderPhreak,

Where is that hand car wash. I live in NYC.

------------------

#177823 - 21/02/01 10:10 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
kyledavis Offline

Loc: Auburndale, MA, USA 2001 Silve...
Well, I've been through 2 automatic car washes since starting this thread, and one was OK, but the other was TERRIBLE! I was inside, and it sounded like my poor X was being beat to crap! I won't go back to that one.

... patiently waiting for warmer weather so I can put the hose out and wash X the right way.

------------------
2001 Silver Ice 4x4 SE V6 Auto

#177824 - 21/02/01 10:40 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
BoarderPhreak Offline

PatentCowboy - the one I go to is out on the Island in my town... Not in NYC. I wouldn't even know where to look for 'em there. Perhaps the yellow pages?

------------------

#177825 - 22/02/01 08:49 AM Re: Automatic Car Wash
Fletcher Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I work at one of those soft cloth drive through car washes, and can tell you that even though I get all the free washes I want, I'll be washing my X by hand once I get it. I could go on and on about how bad they can be (don't even get me started on the "spot free" rinse), but let's just say you're better off washing your truck by hand.

------------------

#177826 - 02/03/01 12:57 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
Peps_X Offline

Loc: NJ
I found a decent carwash and have been through twice. I haven't noticed any damage to it. I will avoid it at all costs when the weather gets warmer, but I had to get that road salt off my X in the meantime! The only problem I had (scarey one too!) is that my brakes are aweful afterwards for about 1/2 hour. I'm assuming they get wet with detergent or something oily/soapy. It's kinda scarey, so I don't drive far after the car wash. I don't have that problem when I hand wash or even drive through big dirty puddles. Must be that particular car wash.

------------------
Darlene
'01 Xterra XE 4x4
*Mineral Blue*
http://www.thruway.net/Pep/meandXterra.jpg
http://www.darlenepepper.com

#177827 - 03/03/01 07:49 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
EPark29 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana USA 01'X...
I've had my 2001 XE since November. I put it through Mike's Car Wash (Indy, 62nd & Keystone) for the first time the 1st week in March. Came out looking great. I usually prefer to wash myself, but the cold weather and the aches and pains that come with getting older made me too lazy to do it this time. And I was tired of looking at the dirt!

BigTom in Brownsburg,

Have you used Mike's on more than one occasion? Had any problems to show up caused by getting it washed this way?

------------------

#177828 - 05/03/01 05:16 PM Re: Automatic Car Wash
BigTom Offline

Epark29--I have used Mike's since I got my X in October because of the cold weather. The only problem I have noticed was it doesn't get the roof clean behind the faring. No problems with the paint or anything. I have been very happy with them and will use Mike's when I can't do it myself. I prefer "The Works!". Another thing I like about Mike's is that if you are not satisfied with the wash, you can go through again for free! Good luck EPark!

------------------
BT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal