2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178128 - 11/02/01 03:29 PM Rust
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have noticed several small rust spots on my X, mostly on the back hatch. Just got it last September. The spots come off if I take some Clay Magic to them but what's up? Is it just a combination of minerals landing on the paints surface and reacting with all the road salt? It appears to be just a surface thing, not really rusting the body. It happens on my step rails as well. I know those are powdercoated aluminum, so it can't be rust. But it is a hell of a lot harder removing the rust from those. I had thought about using mineral spirits but decided to wait until winter is over. Any input to the spots on the paint and better ways to attack the step bars? Thanks

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#178129 - 12/02/01 04:43 AM Re: Rust
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
It seems you're not alone should you have the infamous rust on the rear hatch. I think some dealers have acknowledged this and repainted them (under warranty, of course). Try doing a search - there are threads here that will probably provide insights and others w/ similar situations.

------------------

#178130 - 12/02/01 04:11 PM Re: Rust
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rob in Santa Fe:
It seems you're not alone should you have the infamous rust on the rear hatch. I think some dealers have acknowledged this and repainted them (under warranty, of course). Try doing a search - there are threads here that will probably provide insights and others w/ similar situations.

I checked out the other threads and got some info. I also washed and waxed (with Meguires 3 system wax) my X today and all of it came off. The problem area is the step rails, I cannot get the rust spots off there! But trust me I am going to keep close watch on the rear hatch. Thanks

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#178131 - 12/02/01 04:28 PM Re: Rust
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Actually the rust you are speaking of is probably caused by brake dust. Yeah.. Seriously. Semi metalic brake dust can build up and rust.

There have been a few isolated cases amongst the Xterra community of actuall rust spots on the hatch. These are permanent, and required repaining by the dealership. Closely inspect your hatch for these. If nothing is found., you should be safe.

Make sure you wax your truck, and wash it, especially the back hatch, often if you are experiencing the brake dust rust spots.

Also, just to let you know, this subject has been thoroughly disscussed in multiple forums. Please use the search function to find more information on this topic.

------------------
:wq!
wqbang@southeastxterraclub.org

#178132 - 13/02/01 04:27 PM Re: Rust
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, what you said makes more sense. I do wash and wax the hell out of it and after that it appears to be fine (until the wax wears off). So here's the question, is there a brake pad out there that will perform as well as or better that will not cause this rusting?

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#178133 - 18/02/01 06:29 AM Re: Rust
jen_neiffer Offline

Loc: Hanover, MD USA
No rust here! And my X is almost 2yrs. old.

------------------
2000 SE denim blue pirelli scorpion A/T's eclipse powered fun loving X smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal