2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178320 - 14/08/03 05:11 PM Swirlies on my paint!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, so I just bought a brand new (2003) Black Xterra and took it into the dealership to have it detailed after I bought it. Instead of making it look perty they buffed the heck out of it and left really bad swirl marks in my paint job which are now irreversable. Does anyone know how I can make them less noticeable or get rid of them completely!? Help!!

#178321 - 14/08/03 05:33 PM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Ummm...take it back and show them. Ask them what they can do to fix it...

#178322 - 14/08/03 08:31 PM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's too bad.

While I can't offer any sort of solution I can "feel your pain". I like nothing more than a clean dark colored vehicle but after having a dark green pickup (which I bought new) I won't have another one. After the first wash you could see the swirl marks and I was never able to get rid of them myself. That doesn't mean it can't be corrected, but I never did find a solution.

I'll be interested to see if anyone has the answer. You would think that with today's finish and protectant technology some way to prevent and or repair it exists.

Good luck.

#178323 - 15/08/03 05:15 AM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
The swirl marks should not be irreversable unless the clear coat was severely damaged. In any case, the dealer should correct the problem in the following manner. Get a quotation from a competent, independent detail shop and have the dealer pay the bill.

dave and xtoy - lesson learned, dealers are...

#178324 - 15/08/03 05:21 AM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Dave is right - if they screwed it up once, why would you take it back to them a second time?

And they absolutely should pay for a professionall detailing shop to fix the problem. If not, there is always small claims court! Don't let 'em off the hook!

#178325 - 16/08/03 12:11 PM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Dayna's Little Land Crusher,

Most swirls, unless they are so deep that they can be felt, are removeable. However, they must be removed with the same tool that put them into your paint in the first place - the rotary buffer. I do not recommend that you try it yourself, 'cause you'll only put more damage into your paint unless you are familiar with it.

Like others said, take it back to the dealer and make them fix it. And be sure they fix it, not just mask it. They might try to fill up the scratches with a filler polish, but the swirls will reappear with age. To be sure, rub some alchohol onto the paint after they tell you it's fixed, if the swirls reappear, it means they have simply masked it.

Do your future detailings by proffesional detailers, not your dealer, in the future. Or learn to do it by yourself, it's a rewarding experience.

#178326 - 27/08/03 04:35 PM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay everyone, I'm in the midst of getting this swirlie problem delt with!! WOOHOO, I'm taking my Xterra back into the shop to have it buffed again.....and if the swirlies aren't gone (which we all know that they won't be) then they are going to re paint it totally! Finally! Some justice for the little land crusher!
Thanks everyone for your helpfull advice
Dayna

#178327 - 27/08/03 07:38 PM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
kev0153 Offline

Loc: Woodbridge, Virginia
Don't get it repainted just for swirl marks. You'll have more problems down the road with chipping and possible fading. The paint is cured at high temps at the factory and dealer or bump shop can't duplicate this. Swirl marks on a black paint are a fact of life, your gonna get them eventually.

#178328 - 28/08/03 11:09 AM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kev0153:
Don't get it repainted just for swirl marks. You'll have more problems down the road with chipping and possible fading. The paint is cured at high temps at the factory and dealer or bump shop can't duplicate this. Swirl marks on a black paint are a fact of life, your gonna get them eventually.
Yeah but the thing is that these swirl marks are BAD and they messed up my whole paint job and I don't feel like I should have to look at the ugly mess that they left for me. I have talked to several detail shops and have been told that re painting will take care of the problem.

#178329 - 28/08/03 01:37 PM Re: Swirlies on my paint!!!
kev0153 Offline

Loc: Woodbridge, Virginia
I just think you are asking for more problems down the road by re painting. I should post a pic of my paint job. Offroading plus a black truck = custom pinstripes.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal