2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178782 - 26/12/03 08:12 PM Wheel Dust and EBC brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has any one found a good solution to prevent wheel dust? Is the EBC brake pads worth stopping the wheel dust from happening?
My stock wheels already seemed ruined just from using wheel cleaner chemicals and I plan to buy new wheels but want to prevent the black wheel dust.
And does waxing the wheels help, I think it would just make it easier to wipe off the brake dust?

#178783 - 26/12/03 08:59 PM Re: Wheel Dust and EBC brakes
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I have no idea what EBC brake pads are, but waxing definitely helps. You get a thin layer of easy-to-remove wax between the dust and paint. Just wipe off and apply new wax once in awhile.

#178784 - 26/12/03 09:10 PM Re: Wheel Dust and EBC brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
I have no idea what EBC brake pads are
They are well known as Green Stuff or Red Stuff. Click here for EBC Brake Pads

#178785 - 26/12/03 10:05 PM Re: Wheel Dust and EBC brakes
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Last I checked, EBC doesn't have pads available for the Xterra. I tried to get some and was told it could be weeks or months or years before I would actually seem them. You can try a ceramic pad like the Akebono Pro ACT (I believe Raybestos makes one too), but it would probably be easier to find out why you have so much dust. The factory brakes leave almost no dust when used in a mormal manner. Usually if it won't come off it's because very hot particles came out of the pads and burned into the wheel finish or the dust has been sitting on the wheels for a long time eating away. Yes, waxing the wheels helps too and if you wash regularly you only need to use car wash soap. Avoid those spray on cleaners completely (except P21S) as they use acid to clean and will destroy your wheels, making it more and more difficult to clean them. They're fine if your finish is already FUBAR, but otherwise don't use them.

BTW, in over 4 years and nearly 100K miles I have never had significant brake dust buildup on my wheels, even when letting my truck go several months without a bath.

#178786 - 06/01/04 12:36 PM Re: Wheel Dust and EBC brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been using the Meguires Hot wheels to eliminate the brake dust on my rims when I wash the truck. Works nice and hasn't damaged the rims. NO scrubbing required.

#178787 - 06/01/04 08:04 PM Re: Wheel Dust and EBC brakes
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Just make sure when you use any type of "wheel cleaner" or different soaps ect on your wheels to never spray or wipe that shit on there when they are hot. It will strip away the clear coat and your wheels will start to look like ass.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal