2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179166 - 25/03/01 11:24 AM Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

On our monthly Xcursion, HXOC members encountered a lot more than we bargained for. After 2 hours of rock crawls that we didn't know about, we then encountered "ATV" sized trails and we got beat up pretty bad with the branches.
What's the best way to fix?
I'm going to wash/wax/buff but I was wondering about other ideas since I've never had to worry about this before. Any help would be appreciated. I've heard there are "colored wax" products? Anyone?
I know scratches are like "warrior scars" but I've got a little too many! They don't seem very deep though, which is good. You can't feel them, just see them.
Thanks

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

#179167 - 25/03/01 12:14 PM Re: Damn trees!
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
If you can't feel the scratches, and you had a good coat of wax on before the incidents, a good wash, wax and buff should do it, or at least has done it in the past for me. Good Luck!

(For the one's that don't come out you can make up wild stories about where you got them i.e. encounter with southern Missouri Grizzly Bear.)

------------------
2001 SE 4x4 5-speed
Super Black

#179168 - 26/03/01 07:06 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks- I'm going to do that tonight-
Any other suggestions?
Do I wash - wax - buff
Or wash - buff - wax ??

------------------
XROCK www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

[This message has been edited by XROCK23 (edited 03-26-2001).]

#179169 - 26/03/01 07:46 AM Re: Damn trees!
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
xrock23 -
If the scratch did not go thru the clearcoat, then this is what I'd suggest. Use the *least* abrasive product that will do the job.
A wax would be the first thing to try, a cleaner wax would be next. Then a polish. For tough scratches, a fine-cut compound may be needed but I would avoid the hi-abrasive rubbing compounds.
In any case, do as little to the paint as possible to restore some shine. Re-finish with a final coat of wax.
If you need more details, stop by the Meguiars site - or call: 1-800-545-3321.
http://www.meguiars.com

dave and Xtoy - all that shines is not gold

------------------

#179170 - 26/03/01 07:46 AM Re: Damn trees!
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
and if that doesn't do it, have it detailed. the professionals can do astounding things.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

#179171 - 26/03/01 01:53 PM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

after shamokin on 3/11, i had some really bad, deep scratches...i had it professionally detailed, and they're still there...too bad i didn't get a Silver Ice or Solar Yellow...they hide scratches more than Just Blue, and especially Super Black (just ask Oleg...)

------------------
Just Blue XE 4x4 3pack w/ many extras
www.geocities.com/spoiledxterra

#179172 - 26/03/01 02:26 PM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

that's not what I wanted to hear!

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

#179173 - 26/03/01 04:52 PM Re: Damn trees!
hotairX Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Me neither! I loved black until this weekend. Xrock let me know if you have any luck this week. I'm traveling on business late in the week and won't be able to work on my scratches until Sunday.

------------------
>> full of hotair...

#179174 - 27/03/01 06:02 AM Re: Damn trees!
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by njX:
after shamokin on 3/11, i had some really bad, deep scratches...i had it professionally detailed, and they're still there...too bad i didn't get a Silver Ice or Solar Yellow...they hide scratches more than Just Blue, and especially Super Black (just ask Oleg...)

yeah, the alpine green, which i have, is just as bad as the super black in those regards. you think oleg's is bad? you should see philosopher's or my paint job. i used to cringe every time i washed/hosed off my X. now i just try and shrug it off. try...

#179175 - 27/03/01 06:19 AM Re: Damn trees!
Elroy Offline

Loc: St Louis, MO
I'm out of town and away from my X right now, but when I return I will wash it pretty good. Then I will see how bad mine is scratched. I'm pretty happy that I have a Silver Ice X... I don't think they will show as bad.

------------------
Ê£®õÿ
2000 Silver Ice SE 4x4
Member - Heartland Xterra Owners Club
www.hxoc.net

Heartland Xterra Owners Club

#179176 - 27/03/01 07:27 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update: Washed and used Meguars cleaner-wax last night. It looks good as long as it's not in direct light and up close. tonight I'm doing the buffing. Hopefully it will help a little more. The guy at advanced auto parts said to get some stuff called
GS250 or something like that, that works really good for scratches. After the buffing, I'm going to try that- if that doesn't work, it's off to get it detailed and see what they can do.

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

#179177 - 27/03/01 08:18 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think its called GS-27. i bought it a few years ago from a TV ad. it pretty much did more damage than good. if i remember correctly, it was some pretty harsh abrasive that practically melts the paint to fill in the scratches. it made real bad swirl marks, and MAJOR dull spots, and the scratch was still there...

Silver Ice is probably the best in so far as scratches, along with Cloud White...

------------------
Just Blue XE 4x4 3pack w/ many extras
www.geocities.com/spoiledxterra

#179178 - 27/03/01 08:42 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's what I was wondering- I wanted to ask him- Well, if it works so good, how come you don't carry it here? Only at Walmart and Target? That made me a little leary.
I was at Advanced tonight and they had some stuff called Blue Coral Scratch remover-
ever heard of it?

------------------
XROCK www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

[This message has been edited by XROCK23 (edited 03-27-2001).]

#179179 - 28/03/01 12:41 AM Re: Damn trees!
spike Offline

Loc: North Bend, OR
I picked up some stuff last week, Meguiar's Scratch X Fine Scratch & Swirl Remover. Supposedly removes light scratches and swirl marks, as well and oxidation. Picked it up because of the trusted Meguiar's name, I should have a chance to wash and wax the X late this week after the body work, so I'll see how well it works then.

------------------
spike
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

#179180 - 28/03/01 08:11 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea, let me know how that works. The buffer didn't really do anything for it.

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

#179181 - 28/03/01 09:07 AM Re: Damn trees!
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
yeah that G-27 stuff sucks. its all a gimick. if you have a dark colored vehicle it will dull the paint around where you use it. i used it on my green tacoma and it made it worse. i'm now using Blue coral scratch remover and it seems to work pretty good. of course silver ice hides them well.

------------------
Silver Ice Xterra Xe
4x4 auto 3pk

#179182 - 28/03/01 10:30 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info- I'm going to try it tonight I think

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

#179183 - 31/03/01 07:35 AM Re: Damn trees!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just as ab update: The truck looks pretty darn good. Basically from just washing-waxing- and using some stuff I found called Scratch Off- supposed to be the stuff detailers use. Normal looking at it, it appears as if looks great- under direct lighting, you can still see where they were. I'll probably still take it to a detailer and see what they can do. At least I don't get a sick feeling when I look at it anymore!

------------------
XROCK
www.hxoc.net
Super Black Xterra-
The Peoples Champion

#179184 - 02/04/01 07:16 PM Re: Damn trees!
hotairX Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I used the Meguiar's Scratch-X and it worked miracles! After doing the entire X in that and a follow-up coat of Meguiar's wax, it is almost back to perfect.

------------------
>> full of hotair...

#179185 - 03/04/01 08:20 PM Re: Damn trees!
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
Depending on how deep the scracth is, you can either have it hand rubbed out, or if it's really deep, then you could consider color sanding. If you can see the primer of your vehicle, then all the buffing in the world wont help. Also, Nissan sells touch up pain for about $3.00 US of all their paint schemes, and that might help your problem. In my own business, which is detailing, we sometimes have to use touch-up paint, plus what we call a buff and blend, to hide really deep scratches.

-Carl

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal