2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179224 - 06/09/01 02:23 PM shell/protector
Ruttiger Offline

Loc: NJ
Anyone ever see that infomercial where the guy is trying to gouge a car w/ a sharp piece of metal and cant because of this miracle product? I believe he also took a torch to the paint in the next segment.

While I don't believe this product is what it claims, is there something out there that puts a durable shell over the paint? I know I could put coat upon coat of wax, but is there any extra um "stuff" that will protect the paint/finish or am I in dreamland? Aside from my recent keying, I'm thinking this could be helpful against some heavy pinstriping while offroading. Yes I have seen O'Polka's body armor.

Thanks
D

#179225 - 06/09/01 02:50 PM Re: shell/protector
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I haven't evaluated its effectiveness since I applied it a couple of months ago, but Liquid Glass sounds like it might help. You can apply it repeatedly and build up a thick coat that can take the sting out of many trail scratches. Sometime before the weather gets too cold I'm going to wash my X again and re-apply and see how it held up. Only then will I know if the scratches I got made it to the paint or not. I put 2 coats on last time. The fact that they say "Liquid Glass may be removed by first washing with a strong solution of high quality car wash detergent, then using 00 steel wool with mineral spirits or Varsol." sounds like it's a bit tougher than your typical wax smile

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#179226 - 07/09/01 11:48 AM Re: shell/protector
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
was it durashine that you were talking about? I saw that infomercial last night and the guy tried to cut a car with a lazer but couldn't. They were selling it for $30. But I just saw the stuff at my local G.I. Joe's clearanced from $5 down to $3.5 so I'm a little hesitant.

#179227 - 07/09/01 01:21 PM Re: shell/protector
OffroadX Offline

Durashine is more than likely as much snake oil as Duralube. I wouldn't touch it...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#179228 - 07/09/01 03:53 PM Re: shell/protector
Ruttiger Offline

Loc: NJ
Brent, do plan on trying to remove the liquid glass before you re-apply or just slopping some more on?

#179229 - 07/09/01 04:19 PM Re: shell/protector
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Not for nothing, but I'm a little scared of any product that is meant to be "left on, multicoated or taken off with steel wool." wink

I'll stick to normal wax, thanks!

#179230 - 07/09/01 07:51 PM Re: shell/protector
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
its a scam. you can wax your car with el cheapo stuff and light it on fire- won't do anything. they use lighter fluid.

the laser is also harmless to any painted surface. did they use the laser on a "non treated" car? i don't think they would because it wouldn't do anything to it either.

#179231 - 08/09/01 08:41 PM Re: shell/protector
OffroadX Offline

I'm just going to clean it thoroughly and then add a couple more coats on top, no need/point in taking it off.

Brent

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal