2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179332 - 05/10/06 09:10 AM Cleaning Rims & Tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a search and it looks like this subject hasn't been covered in awhile so I wanted to get a more recent opinion. For those times when I'm not in the mud, maybe taking the girlfriend out after having her detailed (the X, not the girlfriend), does anyone have suggestions on what product to use to keep the rims clean? My X is 3 weeks old and I'm starting to see the brake dust cling to the rims, even after a good spraying. The old post suggested anything from car wax to Eagle 1 to Simple Green.

What is everyone using on their tires to keep them shining? I don't want the stuff to fly off the tires onto the paint.

Thanks, love this web site. [ThumbsUp]

#179333 - 05/10/06 09:25 AM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wheels, don't know of much to keep it except getting the covers that go between your rim and rotor that shield the dust.

FOr tires, use westly's bleach white to clean them. Then go over it with meguiars tire wet. Its applied by sponge and is fairly thick so it won't just fling off and lasts much longer then armoral.

#179334 - 05/10/06 10:43 AM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

What kind of rims? On aluminum wheels Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish does a great job.

#179335 - 06/10/06 09:30 PM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use lemon pledge on my wheels now and then as it wipes off the dust easily and when they get dirty it helps the dirt/dust come off easier the next time (this is a trick that I learned from mountain biking--spray it on the frame before a muddy ride and it really helps with cleanup latter). For my wheels I use "Never Wipe" or something like that--whatever Costco carries and apply it with an old rag. I spray it on the rag first and then wipe it on the tire. This keeps it off the wheels/rims and also doesn't apply it so thick that it flings off later.

#179336 - 10/10/06 03:38 PM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

i put a coat of wax on the wheels, and the brake dust/dirt wipes right off

#179337 - 11/10/06 04:17 AM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't have brake dust, so I just wash them with car wash and wax them maybe once a year. If you do need something stronger just make sure it doesn't have acid in it and is safe for clearcoated alloy wheels. I used to like P21S, but you can't get it just anywhere.

#179338 - 11/10/06 10:41 PM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
Savage Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Don't have brake dust???

What do you guys do to clean the inside of the rims?

I usually get a sponge and just slide it along the inside, squeezing it past the brakes. Sometimes I try a toothbrush but it takes too long and doesn't get it all.

I wish I could just take the wheels off everytime I wanted to clean them...

actually...I wish I didn't have brake dust... back to that...

#179339 - 12/10/06 12:48 AM Re: Cleaning Rims & Tires
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't clean the inside of the rims; I only clean what can be seen. If it can only be seen when the wheel is off, then what's the point? That's just even too anal for me!

I have never had noticeable brake dust with the Xterra, even when towing. I suppose if I were to not wash it in two years then maybe a thin film would start to show, but it just doesn't go that long. Most Xterras I see don't have any significant brake dust, but some have it really bad, but those are probably brake abusers and more likely automatics.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal