shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179594 - 12/04/01 07:55 PM Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
SpaceAce77 Offline

Loc: Bethpage, NY
Had an interesting encounter today with regard to the whole wash/wax debate. Looking for your couple pesos input here.

I'm looking to get my old car (a 92 Lincoln) cleaned up for sale. I happen past this place, around the corner from my house, Charlie's Old Fashioned Simoniz. Turns out, this guy is the only one left in the country still doing the hand rubbed Simoniz treatment. We get to talking about cars, etc. Get this. He tells me, that with regard to washing cars:

NO SOAP. Wash the car with clean water and a wet rag, then dry it off. He then tells me all you need to do is wax a car (Simoniz of course) once a year.

I am totally not having it. He then shows me his car, a 1990 toyota celica. Looks brand new. Swears to me on his grandchildren that he's only waxed it nine times in the entire time he's had it. It was raining, and the water had a full bead. He then showed me a car he was finishing up inside, a Chrysler Sebring. You could skate on the finish.

Any thoughts folks? Bear in mind that this guy has been in business since 1946. I gotta say that there must be some merit to what he says.

------------------

#179595 - 12/04/01 10:08 PM Re: Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
here is my .02.

I wash cars for a living, and there is a reason he is the only guy left on earth doing it that way.

If your anal, like me, and also happen to own and operate a Hand Wash and Detail Center, then you could probably get away with just rinsing the car off with fresh clean water every day, which is exactly what I do since I can.

There is no wax on the market that will last a year, period. There are sealants and exterior protectants that can last a year, though I don't sell them because I prefer to see my customers much sooner then that

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#179596 - 13/04/01 07:14 AM Re: Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Whenever you get advice that sounds off-the-wall, ignore it! Late nite infomercials are pretty convincing too. Apply some common sense. Do you clean your hands, clothes or dishes with just plain water? Of course not.
Plain water will not remove oil, tar and many other air-borne pollutants that get on your paint. You need detergent action to lift and remove the crud and leave a clean, unscratched surface.
I remember using old style simonize and there is absolutely no way it would last for a year. And FWIW, I think their products have gone down hill since then.
To get the Lincoln looking good almost any good cleaner wax/polish should do the trick. Detail the tires and interior, clean out the trunk and it should sell quicker and/or for a better price.

dave and Xtoy - good looks sell

------------------

#179597 - 13/04/01 10:16 AM Re: Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I think just a few dabs of Oxi Clean...or is it Orange Clean..no, wait, I mean Quick and Brite. That's it. A few dabs of that and your wax will wash off and last all year with no rinsing.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#179598 - 13/04/01 05:38 PM Re: Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
SpaceAce77 Offline

Loc: Bethpage, NY
OK...Hope everyone has had a little yuck-yuck at my expense...I did have this guy Simoniz up my Lincoln. I swear to you, it NEVER looked this good before. It cost the same as a detail at a regular car wash...The paint is as smooth as a new finish...NO buff marks, swirls, or anything...After seeing this car, I really gave this whole thing some thought. A couple of cents:

1) Think about the ingredients in the average car wash product. Over the years, that stuff eats away at the finish of the car.

2) Most, if not all waxes today, do not really have wax in them. They have chemicals which act as cleaners, which in essence will eventually start to have more of a detrimental, rather than restorative effect.

3) With regard to the wet cloth wash, what's the harm in giving it a try? It's some water and a towel. If it doesn't work, so be it.

Well, I'm probably gonna go down in flames for this one. But, after seeing my Lincoln come back to life, I'm convinced of the results. My X is gonna get the Simoniz treatment in a couple weeks.

------------------

#179599 - 13/04/01 05:49 PM Re: Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
Bottom Line. If your happy with what the guy did, then it was a good deal. Who cares what we all think.

#1. Most Waxes have Excellent protection, in fact, the newer waxes have chemicals specificaly designed to enhanced and protect your vehicles paint. No idear where you got your information on this.

Anyways, your a happy camper, and the guy got a new customer, sounds like a win win situation to me.

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#179600 - 13/04/01 06:16 PM Re: Hand Rubbed Simoniz?!?
lostpage5 Offline

Giggles

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal