2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179615 - 07/03/01 05:07 PM high pressure spray
Moreaux76 Offline

Loc: The Center of Hell, Florida
When I bathe my X, I take it to a drive in, get-out-and-do-it-yourself bay car wash. There are high pressure hoses/sprayers there to wet and rinse your car. Will those high pressure hoses, eventually over time, ruin the paint or diminish the Xterior of my X? I mean, they aren't garden hoses, but they aren't pressure washers you use to clean the outside of a house either.

------------------
2001 XE
V6 Auto
Just Blue
4x2 3-pak

#179616 - 07/03/01 05:17 PM Re: high pressure spray
BigTom Offline

Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana
As long as you keep your X waxed, you should have no problem in the long run. Like you said, it's not a super duper pressure washer, but it is just enough to get your X clean.

------------------
BT

#179617 - 07/03/01 07:19 PM Re: high pressure spray
Moreaux76 Offline

Cool. I have had my X for almost three weeks and I am going to wax it for the first time this weekend. I am gonna buy all the Meguiars stuff and make it shine like new. But only because I want to protect it for the long run, not 'cause I want it to look pretty!!!!!

BTW, how do you wash yours? By hand, or car wash, ...? And how often? How often do you wax (your car that is...haha)?

------------------
2001 XE
V6 Auto
Just Blue
4x2 3-pak

#179618 - 09/03/01 02:47 PM Re: high pressure spray
legend Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
I wash my X by hand mainly.. But.. I do head to the pressure washer ever other week or so, mainly just to get the road salt an other grime off... =-P Then take it home an wash it by hand...

A nice tip, when you wax your X.. wash it twice... to make sure you get all the dirt off..=-P

------------------
- Josh
'01 SuperBlack XE 4x4 V6 3pak
Utah Xterra Owners Club - http://www.uxoc.org

[This message has been edited by legend (edited 03-09-2001).]

#179619 - 09/03/01 04:40 PM Re: high pressure spray
BigTom Offline

Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana
Moreaux-I used Meguiars 3 step process. This makes your X shine and it protects! I highly recommend it. I have only had my X in the winter, so I take it to the car wash and use the pressure sprayers. If it is really cold I go through a tunnel car wash. We have one here in Indy called Mike's that does really good at both washing and drying, which makes it easy in the winter. Once it gets warmer out I plan to wash it by hand. I try to wash it at least once a week, depending on the weather and amount of salt on the roads. I just waxed mine for the first time recently, and plan to do it maybe twice a year (once before summer and once before winter). I agree with legend to wash it twice before you wax, and I like to use a dishwashing detergent to clean it before I wax it. This gets EVERYTHING off of it before the wax is applied (not the clear coat or paint of course!!) That should about cover it! Good Luck!!

------------------
BT

#179620 - 10/03/01 01:24 AM Re: high pressure spray
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
I almost always wash/wax by hand. But I have found the spray it yourself wash is great for getting off the salt (not that you will have much salt in FL, perhaps from the beach?) Also, after a good underbody spraying with soap and rinsing, I have occasionally sprayed the underside with the high pressure wax, I can't wax that stuff under there by hand, and I figure it can't hurt.
NEVER use one of those "soft cloth" carwashes, unless you like scratches.

------------------
2001 SE 4x4 5-speed
Super Black

#179621 - 10/03/01 06:35 AM Re: high pressure spray
Moreaux76 Offline

Thanks for all the advice guys. Actually I just washed and waxed her last night. I bought the entire line of Meguiars products - the pink liquid car wash gel, the polish, the canuba(?) wax, and the detailer. It took me almost 4 damn hours, but she looks wonderful! I also wash her weekly, every Friday eve, and am going to give her a complete waxing every at least 2 to 3 months. I am going to wash by hand, with soft chenile-type rags, but use the high pressure sprayer to wet and rinse her.

------------------
2001 XE
V6 Auto
Just Blue
4x2 3-pak

#179622 - 10/03/01 08:28 AM Re: high pressure spray
mr_omerta Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
You may want to check out Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner. It works really well and it smells good, too!

------------------
'01 Silver Ice SE 4x4

#179623 - 12/03/01 12:30 AM Re: high pressure spray
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Hand wash - always.

When the weather is nice, I'll do it myself - but during the winter months, it's just not feasible. In that case, I use a hand-washing car wash in town, where the only machinery involved is that spraying the soap and wax.

Don't feel bad that it takes a long time for a wash/wax. Sheesh, I spent nearly six or more hours this weekend completely detailing mine (door jams, underbody cleaning, weatherstripping cleaned of sand and protected, everythig ScotchGarded, floormats washed, etc.) It's good to do from time to time to "start fresh." Man, does it look good when you're done - it's obvious when you've spent a lot of time on your vehicle.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#179624 - 13/03/01 07:21 AM Re: high pressure spray
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I usually do the hand wash and then use Meguires Gold Class liquid. It goes on easy and comes off with minimal rubbing. The down side is that it doesn't last long...maybe 3 weeks or so. But it's easy to apply and get off. Every now and then I also use Meguires Hi-Tech Yellow #26 for added protection, especially on the hood and roof. On my other vehicles onece a year I wash it with Dawn, get a clay bar and clay it, wash it with Dawn again, and then wax. The clay bar gets out all sorts of stuff regualar washing won't.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#179625 - 13/03/01 10:43 AM Re: high pressure spray
Azo Offline

Loc: Peekskill, NY
What is this "clay bar"? I have never heard of it before.
Gonna wash the winter grime off the X this weekend and would appreciate any info.

thanks

------------------

#179626 - 14/03/01 05:50 AM Re: high pressure spray
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Check out Meguires site for info on clay bars. Basically.....it's well...a bar of clay. You smear it on the vehicle and then peel it off. It removes all sorts of grit and deposits that washing won't clean. It's amazing, you can wash and dry your vehicle and it looks clean as a whistle. Or so you think. Then you clay it and go, "Holy cow, all that crap was in my piant???" You really only need to do it maybe once a year or so.

try this link to their clay bar
http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CP&SrcCat=2

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#179627 - 14/03/01 06:42 PM Re: high pressure spray
Rspatafore Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Along this theme, anyone have a good way to clean under the wheel wells, after off roading in mud. The high pressure wash is the way I do it, but it takes a long time to clear the gunk

------------------
2001 Silver Ice SE

#179628 - 16/03/01 11:56 AM Re: high pressure spray
wmatt140 Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I wouldn't use a high pressure was on the paint. For that matter, I wouldn't shoot a hard stream of water from a garden hose at the painted areas. All you do is drive the dirt and grit into the clearcoat and create scratches.

Clay bars are great. You can see and feel the difference.

------------------
Wayne
2000 Solar Yellow SE 4X2

#179629 - 20/03/01 07:24 PM Re: high pressure spray
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moreaux76:
[B]When I bathe my X, I take it to a drive in, get-out-and-do-it-yourself bay car wash. There are high pressure hoses/sprayers there to wet and rinse your car. Will those high pressure hoses, eventually over time, ruin the paint or diminish the Xterior of my X?

High pressure washing will not damage your vehicle. Unless of course you own a fire truck, and thats where the pressure is coming from! But your standard pressure washers will be OK for everyday use.

-Carl

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#179630 - 20/03/01 07:26 PM Re: high pressure spray
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
[B]Check out Meguires site for info on clay bars. Basically.....it's well...a bar of clay. You smear it on the vehicle and then peel it off.

Clay is used to remove all the surface contaminants from your vehicle. You use it with a product like Body Shine, and no clay stays on the car, its more like using a sand paper, that is far less abbrasive.

Make sure to use a product like Body Shine and never use the clay alone, as it can damage your paint.

-Carl

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal