shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179979 - 03/11/00 09:17 PM Rain X?
GreenXandBam Offline

Loc: Norwich, CT
Anyone ever used Rain X? I have heard good and bad and was wondering what all the Xperts thought!

------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/tycoleman2000

#179980 - 03/11/00 10:32 PM Re: Rain X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, I used to love rain-x. I haven't "needed" it since buying my last two new vehicles. I "needed" it on my Chevy Sprint (hey, it was my first car) because I could NOT get any new wipers to work worth a damn.

It prevents bugs from sticking to your window just like the rain. That's a big plus.

What negative stuff have you heard?

------------------
2001 Silver Ice
SE V6 4X4

#179981 - 03/11/00 10:48 PM Re: Rain X?
GreenXandBam Offline

Loc: Norwich, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by texason:
Man, I used to love rain-x. I haven't "needed" it since buying my last two new vehicles. I "needed" it on my Chevy Sprint (hey, it was my first car) because I could NOT get any new wipers to work worth a damn.

It prevents bugs from sticking to your window just like the rain. That's a big plus.

What negative stuff have you heard?

I have heard that it leaves a "film" on your winshield that shows up a few weeks after appliation. I've never used it, but with such a big windshield I thought I might give it a shot. If it helps with the bugs, I'm all for it.

------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/tycoleman2000

#179982 - 03/11/00 11:30 PM Re: Rain X?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Silicone blades do NOT do the same thing as Rain-X.

They do not leave any kind of coating on the windshield (silicone has a high degree of chemical inertness, thermal stability and resistance to oxidation)

Silicone blades simply work better through a wider temperature range, and are more pliable.

I've had the SilBlade wipers on my X for a year now, and they pretty much don't work any better than a set of Bosche rubber ones. Nothing but streaks and smears.

#179983 - 04/11/00 06:45 AM Re: Rain X?
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
Rain-x is an awesome product, follow the application instructions and it works great. I Have not expierienced any type of hazing or residual effects, but I use auto glass cleaner once a week and that seems to keep everything looking great. According to the Rain-x website, it can only be removed thru eventual wear, so if you do put it on its on for a good while. Now the Rain-x anti fog product is essentially worthless in my past expierience so I'd recommend avoiding that. I also have found the Rain-x paste wax to be a great, easy to use product that does what it says it will.

#179984 - 04/11/00 07:18 AM Re: Rain X?
cabero Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL
I put RainX on the side and rear windows - they are easier to keep clean and don't seem to leave water spots.

#179985 - 04/11/00 07:21 PM Re: Rain X?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
I found that rain-x worked OK at speeds over 40mph, but at lower speeds it made the windshield worse. Considering that it was maintenance headache, frequent re-applications, never used it again. Found that a good set of wipers would do the trick. Heavy bug hits are not a factor for us.

dave and Xtoy - no thanks

#179986 - 05/11/00 09:13 AM Re: Rain X?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I used Rain-X on previous vehicles, did not like it and won't use it again. Rain DID bead very well and slid up and off the windshield even without the wipers on when on the highway. That was pretty neat unless you get mesmerized watching the beads fly up and away. BUT I found that with the wipers on, especially at night against oncoming traffic, there was a pronounced smearing effect that actually reduced visibility. This occurred with clean old blades and brand new ones. This was NOT the initial haze that has to be vigorously wiped off after you first put the stuff on.

#179987 - 09/11/00 07:18 PM Re: Rain X?
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
man i just came in from the rain and i'm aggrivated. i have silicone wipers and rain x on my front windshield and my wipers are jumpin like mad and i'm also getting that film look on the windshield too. what's the deal?

------------------
2001 silver SE

#179988 - 09/11/00 09:37 PM Re: Rain X?
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
man i just came in from the rain and i'm aggrivated. i have silicone wipers and rain x on my front windshield and my wipers are jumpin like mad and i'm also getting that film look on the windshield too. what's the deal?

Clean your winshield with 000 steelwool or thoroughly clean the windshield and reapply your rainx. Rainx should be reapplied every month or so.

#179989 - 10/11/00 04:20 AM Re: Rain X?
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
[/b]

Clean your winshield with 000 steelwool or thoroughly clean the windshield and reapply your rainx. Rainx should be reapplied every month or so.

[/B][/QUOTE]

thanks. will this resolve my problem? should i reapply rain x or just clean the windshield with out it and just use the silicone wipers? do you think my problem is because of the combination or rain x and silicone wipers?

thanks

------------------
2001 silver SE

#179990 - 12/11/00 01:05 AM Re: Rain X?
sks24 Offline

Loc: southeast. TX
Rain X is an excellent product. I drive a car for a living and it works great. It does in fact have one downside, you can see very well so you have a tendency to drive a little faster when it is raining, and is probably not so safe to do so.

#179991 - 12/11/00 07:34 AM Re: Rain X?
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:

thanks. will this resolve my problem? should i reapply rain x or just clean the windshield with out it and just use the silicone wipers? do you think my problem is because of the combination or rain x and silicone wipers?

thanks

Clean the windshield first with the steel wool, then test it out. Also remember that rainx is supposed to be reapplyed every month for optimal performance. As far as rainX not working with silicone wipers, I don't know.

#179992 - 30/03/01 06:15 AM Re: Rain X?
Moreaux76 Offline

Loc: The Center of Hell, Florida
I have used rain-X, and it has worked and does work very well for me. You have to be complete in your application, though. You can't just clean your windshield and pop it on and then wipe it off.

You have to get your windsheild so clean you can eat lunch off of it. I think the most important thing is to fully wipe it off after it has hazed up. I even go through three or four towels just to make sure I get it all off.

Treat it like wax for your windshield. Be thorough and complete in the application process and it will work wonders for you. DON'T HALF-ASS IT!

------------------
2001 XE
V6 Auto
Just Blue
1.5K miles
4x2 3-pak

#179993 - 30/03/01 06:39 AM Re: Rain X?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by Moreaux76:

Treat it like wax for your windshield. Be thorough and complete in the application process and it will work wonders for you. DON'T HALF-ASS IT!

Agreed. The secret is you have to buff it in to the windshield, use a little elbow grease. Then add another coat and do the same. It takes a little effort up front, but it really apys off. You will not have a film or streaking if you properly apply it.

------------------
Chris McCracken
"He who dies with the most toys ...WINS!"
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club www.hxoc.net

#179994 - 30/03/01 08:39 AM Re: Rain X?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Geez, this thread was dormant for over 4 months and suddenly gets revived, weird.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#179995 - 30/03/01 01:44 PM Re: Rain X?
Moreaux76 Offline

Loc: The Center of Hell, Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Geez, this thread was dormant for over 4 months and suddenly gets revived, weird.

Brent

Haha. Yeah that is my fault

I had done an experimental search on "wipers" in order to respond to MIDNGHTX (Lizz) in another forum. I had so many IE windows open on my desktop that I clicked on "Rain-X" (this topic) and just figured it was new without checking the date. Sorry!

------------------
2001 XE
V6 Auto
Just Blue
1.5K miles
4x2 3-pak

#179996 - 30/03/01 08:30 PM Re: Rain X?
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
The easiest thing to do is buy rain-x windshield washer fluid. They have it at Walmart (as much as I hate that place). It's bright pink. I love it. Works great for me. I was driving the other night in hard rain with my wipers on low and had no problem seeing.

------------------
2000 Black SE 4x4, 5spd
=========================
"not all those who wander are lost"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal