2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180839 - 12/07/01 12:27 AM Chip repair
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I just noticed a massive, gargantuan, mammoth sized (0.05 square mm) chip on my hood. After I stopped kicking the snot out of anything nearby that moved, I came in to do my chip-repair research. I've read a few things before but thought some refreshers would be a good idea. My plan, buy the tools (toothpicks, fine grit sandpaper, touch-up paint, etc etc) and do it the old fashioned, very slow and methodical way. I'm patient. Or anal. Either way.

Then I came across this crazy link, and wondered if any of you has seen/used it before. It's supposed to eliminate the whole "fill the hole slowly, let each application dry for 4 years before adding another" scenario. You're supposed to just goop on the touch-up paint, and this stuff is supposed to automagically wipe it smoove to match the rest of the paint. Add some wax and away you go.

Suuure. Anyways, thought I'd ask you other perfect-paint freaks what you think. My favourite quote, "so easy a child could do it!" Hmmmm, maybe a little advanced for me.

http://www.langka.com/

#180840 - 12/07/01 05:18 AM Re: Chip repair
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Superjens -
As you might guess, I follow several car care forums. Langka has gotten mixed reviews from what I've read. I have not tried this product myself.
I could see how it 'might' work on a single layer (clear coat) repair. If the repair calls for more than that - color coat and even primer, then I'm not so sure.
Using ultra fine sandpaper, 2000 grit class, is a well known method. Details have been posted here and on other detailing sites.
If you're not 100% comfortable with any technique, practice on a spot that is not obvious. Even on another vehicle that's around the house.
In any case, be patient, do your best and don't expect miracles.

dave and xtoy - who could use a few miracles

------------------

#180841 - 12/07/01 10:12 AM Re: Chip repair
4wheelin_again Offline

Loc: Fall River, MA, USA
I bought the stuff, put 20 layers of paint, on the truck. Followed instructions to the T, and the stuff sucked all the paint out of the scratch. It was silver metallic on a um...err..uh...Ford. Maybe it'll work on solid colors.

------------------
"CITRON"
01 Solar Yellow SE
JO Squared

#180842 - 12/07/01 12:45 PM Re: Chip repair
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
i have used langka. it takes alittle patience and a few tries. but i like the results. for anything deep, you must build it up, which is a pain, but worth the reuslts.

------------------

#180843 - 12/07/01 03:53 PM Re: Chip repair
Bill H Offline

Loc: Northern NJ USA
I checked out the website. I have not used the product therefore I cannot say either way how good it is or is not. But I do know Photoshop. My professional opinion is that photo # 3 to the far right has been altered. If you notice, the first two have a grain pattern that you can see. Also, the horizontal lines in the foreground are sharper in the first two than the third. I believe there was some filtering done to blend the image which makes their product show a seamless finish. Again, I am not saying the product does not work. I'm just questioning the integrity of their images.

------------------
2001 Xterra 4x4 SE Yellow

#180844 - 12/07/01 03:55 PM Re: Chip repair
Bill H Offline

Loc: Northern NJ USA
The photos I was referring to is under how it works, about 1/2 way down the page. Three red pictures.

------------------
2001 Xterra 4x4 SE Yellow

#180845 - 12/07/01 09:25 PM Re: Chip repair
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
There's also the video with the 10 year old kid polishing the Lexus. Ugh, I typed Linux the first time. Ooookay.

I'm guessing it's really just a glorified paint thinner that lets you scrape off the top layer of the fresh paint that you add to the chip. It's probably a good idea, and probably works, although I doubt as well as they say. I picked up some 2000-grit sandpaper today, will pass by the dealer tomorrow to get the touch-up paint, and will spend some time next week after hours slowly dabbing new layers of paint.

Should I bother with the clear coat on top?

------------------
Jens

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal