2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180903 - 24/07/03 06:49 PM 2 thumbs up to clay!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just spent a few hours on my X.. it's the first time I've ever washed with dish soap, then clayed and then waxed. I used the clay bar that came with "clay lube" and I was amazed at how much crap the clay was able to take off the X. I definitely recommend trying it some time. It's about 10 bucks, but the clay can be used more than once.

#180904 - 25/07/03 02:55 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
Anonymous
Unregistered

where do you get these clay bars/clay bar kits at? and also is it applied in the shade or can you do it under the sun? would the outside temp have any kind of effect on the overall apperance etc. etc.? got nothing to do this sat/sun and it's gonna be nice and sunny high 70's - low 80's. oh yeah after the clay bar would it be a good time for touching up nicks in the paint? gotta go to work frown peace b.

#180905 - 25/07/03 05:43 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
Anonymous
Unregistered

darkstar,

i got mine at walmart.. but i really had to search for it. it was the only one and it was on the very top shelf. it was nine something. it has a little picture of a blue clay man on it.. the brand is Clay Magic.

I think the box said you have to do it on an unheated surface, so either in the morning or in the shade i guess. And I don't think the outside temperature really matters... because before you apply the clay you spray this "lube" stuff onto a section of your X (they say do 3ft by 3ft at a time).

And yes, its probably a good time to fix nicks after you do it because it takes everything off of your surface.

Have fun!

#180906 - 25/07/03 06:18 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
You could always use the Meguiars brand..That can be found at Pep Boys and other automotive stores...Or you can buy it directly from Meguirs by clicking the link below....

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CP&SrcCat=2

#180907 - 25/07/03 06:53 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
OR you can get it from Griot's Garage. http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=clay&search.x=11&search.y=4

I do my truck twice a year now. It really helps maintain a nice appearance to the paint.

-Rick

#180908 - 28/07/03 12:21 PM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Used a bar to remove the paint spatter in my other thread, it worked great on the painted finish, only problem now is I'll have to do the rest of the truck and the wife's car since it really makes the paint shine!

It did not however remove the paint from the trim parts frown any ideas for that?

Thanks to whoever first mentioned clay bars, they really are the detailers best kept secret!

#180909 - 31/07/03 08:43 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
RckyMtnHi Offline

Loc: Somewhere in CO
Quote:
Originally posted by sarah p:
I just spent a few hours on my X..
Get yourself the Porter Cable Sander/Orbital buffer and you can clay the whole rig in 30 minutes. Pricey, but worth it if you plan to do this forever.

Also, you can use it to apply polish and wax.

#180910 - 31/07/03 09:28 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Get yourself the Porter Cable Sander/Orbital buffer
Two words, "swirl marks". I have seen a lot of people forever damage their paint doing that. There is a fine line between a good buff and burning the finish.

#180911 - 31/07/03 02:36 PM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
RckyMtnHi Offline

Loc: Somewhere in CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Editor X:
Quote:
Get yourself the Porter Cable Sander/Orbital buffer
Two words, "swirl marks". I have seen a lot of people forever damage their paint doing that. There is a fine line between a good buff and burning the finish.
It is virtually impossible to burn your paint with this random orbital buffer.

This is different than a traditional buffer which I believe you are refering to.

Also, it has the opposite effect of what you said, it gets rid of swirl marks. Have you tried it? I have and the results speak for themselves.

#180912 - 31/07/03 03:39 PM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I watched a buddy ruin a 56 T-bird with one (perhaps not the one that you own) and have sworn off them ever since. If it works for you though... :rolleyes:

#180913 - 31/07/03 03:43 PM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
Also, it has the opposite effect of what you said, it gets rid of swirl marks. Have you tried it? I have and the results speak for themselves.
I wholeheartedly agree. But then again, I was a pro detailer for awhile so I know how to use it. I've never tried the claybar thing because I've always gotten a glass-smooth finish the old fashioned way (quickly, I might add). But seeing as how there are so many clay-freaks here I might just try it out.

Plenty of clay down by the river.

#180914 - 04/08/03 08:08 AM Re: 2 thumbs up to clay!
NPT X Offline

Loc: Newport, RI
My father was painting the white trim on his house some time ago on a semi winding days. My X happened to be down wind of where he was. So, needless to say that I come out to find my Super Black X cover with very tiny white specs. I tried to get them off with dish soap, but was unable to get them off completely.

Then someone mentioned to me the clay bar treatment and I was kind of sceptical about the whole thing. I saw the meguiars clay bar kit at Pepboys the other day and I pick it up. I spend most of the day saturday washing, claying, and waxing the X. The clay bar worked, most of the white paint specs are gone. It also took some other things that were on the paint near the bottom of the doors.

The maguiars stuff is great and thier wax goes on and comes off so much better then some others that I've tried.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal