shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182021 - 23/02/01 11:46 PM Valvoline SynPower Oil Additive
xterra_teen Offline

Loc: South Tahoe, CA, USA: 2001 , 4...
Ever since oil change one in the X (theres only been one change ), I have used this oil treatment called Valvoline SynPower. Its only about $3.00 and it works very very well... I used in my dads old tacoma and it actually increased oil pressure about 2 times, to normal level! We took it to get it serviced (before we used the stuff) and the mechanic said the oil pressure was really low. The oil level was full and had just been changed too! So I used this oil treatment stuff and the oil pressure rose right back up the first time! I just drove it about 10 miles and the engine ran smoother and quieter.

Anyways to make a long story short... I would definitely recommend this stuff. It works great and is cheap. Great alternative to those who dont want to pay top dollar for synthetic oil. It claims to have better thermal protection and restore compression as well as cut down on oil consumption, which it works great on as well!

Seriously try this stuff... you will be surprised.

Just plug your nose when putting it in though... it smells really bad.

------------------
2001 XE 5SPD 4WD PSU

[This message has been edited by xterra_teen (edited 02-24-2001).]

#182022 - 24/02/01 01:05 PM Re: Valvoline SynPower Oil Additive
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Why was your oil pressure so low to begin with? Or are you talking about your dad's old Tacoma? If you're talking about the X, I would've been more concerned to find out what was causing the problem than just dumping something in to "fix" it.

Personally, I'm very skeptical of additives although I admit I'm not familiar with this one. I had an '88 Trooper before with oil pressure problems. One mechanic's
"solution" was STP oil treatment, which as I now understand it, is basically just 50 weight oil. Of course that "increased" the oil pressure. Till the front seal gave out.

------------------

#182023 - 24/02/01 03:05 PM Re: Valvoline SynPower Oil Additive
BigTom Offline

Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana
I happen to be against any additive, especially in new vehicles. I added prolong into my previous car in both the engine and transmission(2 different things, one was for engine, one was for tranny). No more than 2 weeks later, the transmission gave out. It may have been a fluke, but I will not take the chance. My dad put 120,000 miles on a car with oil changes at 3k miles. No additives or anything. I plan on doing the same. If you are good about changing the oil, you will never need to add anything else to it. Oil and filter, easy, cheap, and will save you in the long run.

------------------
'01 Silver Ice XE 4X4 3 pack V6 AT
BT

#182024 - 24/02/01 05:30 PM Re: Valvoline SynPower Oil Additive
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I agree if there's something causing your pressure to be below normal then get that fixed. And if there's nothing wrong to begin with, increasing oil pressure is not a good thing. All that means is the oil's thicker, as in, not flowing as it should. Additives are never a good idea. In fact, the owner's manual recommends against them and I wouldn't doubt that some of them will void your warranty. If you're concerned about engine wear and durability, consider using synthetics--the engine will outlast the rest of the car.

------------------
Eric Konarske
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#182025 - 25/02/01 12:36 AM Re: Valvoline SynPower Oil Additive
xterra_teen Offline

Loc: South Tahoe, CA, USA: 2001 , 4...
Those are definitely points I have thought of and are still skeptical about..

I dont belive in those "remedy" type oil additives such as prolong.

This Valvoline stuff I have tried though and it works... I have had anything but great results.

I will definitely take your ideas into serious consideration... But if you use the additive as indicated on the bottle, its safe stuff.

------------------
2001 XE 5SPD 4WD PSU

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal