I was looking under my "X" the other day and noticed the muffler has a rust "hole" on the side. The medal is "peeling", for lack of another word, is rusty you can push it in, that's how thin it is. I only have 17000 miles and have an extended warranty. It was manufactured 11/00, was sold 05/01, so the original warranty is still in place.
I called the dealership and told them what was going on and they told me it was out of warranty because it was manufactered 11/00. They tried to tell me the 3/36000 went from manufacture date not sale date. I called them on this and told them I knew that was incorrect and mentioned I had the extended warranty as well.
I made an appointment, waited 45 minutes for them to tell me there was nothing wrong with my exhaust, that it wasn't leaking and there wasn't a problem. I took the guy outside, showed him the rust spot, pushed on it with my finger and asked why this wasn't bad. He said, " it's not leaking".
So I asked what if I pushed my finger through the rust hole? He said, "then it wouldn't be warranty because you damaged it". WTF?
I guess when it finally starts to make noise I will take it back and then get denied.