shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182874 - 14/05/08 12:45 PM Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate to bring this up for the simple reason that I really like my 05 4x4 SE. I had a 2000 4x4 and liked it, but felt it was underpowered. They really did a nice job on the Gen 2 Xt's.
The issue... last weekend on a trip from Prescott, AZ to Durango, CO I filled my fuel tank in Gallup, NM. After filling I noticed the gauge didn't move. So I stopped at a different station and tried again; it only took .3 gallons, so it was full. I removed the filler cap and tried to re-install it several times to no avail.
About 10 miles later I noticed the gauge started slowly climbing. About 10 miles later the Service Engine Soon light came on. Okay, big problem looming. In Farmington I stopped by an Autozone and had them read the code- PO463. Fuel Sending Unit. What's that? it just tells the gauge that the tank has a certain level of fuel. No problem, I'll see what the deal is when I get home.
On Monday I started searching the web for info and found some disturbing issues:
1. Nissan recalled all 01-03 Xterras because of the same part, except on the Gen 1 X's, the engine would quit if this part went bad.
2. Nissan changed the part to where the engine won't quit on the Gen 2 models, but, there is still a significant failure rate on the part. Pathfinders and Titans have the same issue.
3. The part is not covered beyond the 3/36k warranty, whereas the fuel pump, to which the sending unit is attached, is covered under the 5/60k warranty.
4. This part usually doesn't go bad until around the 40,000 mile range.
5. Even though I have had the code read as a PO463 through Autozone, and the symptoms agree with the problem, Nissan requires that their shop reads the code- at $100 cost.
6. The local dealer, from whom I spent over $60,000 two years ago, is not willing to repair the known defective part gratis and Nissan will not as well. The best I could get was that the dealer will apply for a "Courtesy Repair" after the $100 is spent on the code diagnostic. If they refuse the request, them I'm out the $100 for something I already know. The CRS said that she'd try her best to get Nissan to do it, but there were no guarantees. I asked what the odds were and she wouldn't give me any.
7. The repair costs between $300 and $400 plus the code read at $100. The part is available retail at ABC Nissan in PNX for $65.00. A friend said book time is 1.5 hours. Which means, the dealer will pocket around $280 minimum to make the repair.
8. It's not a safety issue, so I don't expect a recall. It is however, a known defective part with a statistically significant rate of failure and Nissan has chosen to not address it.
So, I'm faced with just paying the $400-$500 for the repair and let it go. Or, drive around with the Service Engine Soon light on and a faulty fuel gauge. If this were random event, oh well, I should have paid for the extended warranty or just pay it and shut-up. But it's not. It's actually quite common.
Lastly, given the ecomomic downturn and the drop in auto sales, you would think that a manufacturor and/or dealer would want to retain a valuable customer (I'm directly responsible for our family purchasing 8 Nissans in the past 8 years). Let's see, Nissan is looking at loosing around $240,000 in sales in today's dollars over a less than $200 issue. The dealer spends that in shop rag cleaning each week.

#182875 - 14/05/08 01:02 PM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

How may miles does your X have?

#182876 - 14/05/08 02:06 PM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

It rolled over 40k somewhere between Gallup and Farmington, so it was at 39950+/- when the sending unit went bad

#182877 - 16/05/08 07:50 AM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just ran a little experiment. I ran the tank down to about 2 gallons and put a bottle of "Sea Foam" in the tank, removed the battery cable and let it sit overnight.
This AM, I re-attached the battery cable (the SES light went off) and filled the tank. The gauge went right back up to full just like it did prior to the unit going bad. The SES light came back on and the DTE funtions still is not working, but at least the gauge works now.

#182878 - 16/05/08 11:16 AM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update. I just started it after about a 1.5 mile trip after filling-up. The DTE is working. Evidentally, the Sea Foam must have loosened something that was affecting the unit because now the only thing not working properly is the SES light...

#182879 - 16/05/08 01:49 PM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Careful that "somthing" doesnt travel through the fuel lines and foul up the injectors. Maybe Check the fuel filter. have you visually inspected the sending unit?

#182880 - 16/05/08 03:52 PM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

can you tell us the part number , i thought you had to purchase a whole new fuel pump unit?

#182881 - 17/05/08 09:38 AM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Found the FSU "only" part number on a different forum. NTB07-69A. Packing part # 17342-ea000.
Typically, when there is a high demand for an individual part, the manufacturors will offer that part separately. What's that say?
The other forum also said that many dealers will not have this part listed, so you have to ask for it specifically.
I haven't opened the tank up yet because you need a Kent-Moore 130mm lock ring tool to remove the retaining ring. The tool runs $85.00.
I ran it for about 20 miles last night, several at high RPM and she seems to be running fine.

#182882 - 17/05/08 12:35 PM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, when you open the fuel tank, please take photos of the process since a lot of us are going to have the similar problem.

#182883 - 19/05/08 03:10 PM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally talked to someone at Nissan Corporate. They have no interest in being held accountable for the FSU after 3/36k miles. Instead, they are leaving it up to the individual dealerships to handle. I just emailed my local dealership's Service Manager and Sales Manager to see if they'll accept responsibility.
From all I've read, you can have it done at a non-dealership for around $240-$275. Dealerships are charging $300-$500.
Hopefully I'll have something positive to post next time.

#182884 - 20/05/08 07:31 AM Re: Gas Gauge/SES light and Nissan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Success!! Got the dealer to cover it under warranty, not the 3/36k, but the 5/60k. I have 40,415 miles on it now. It's a little dicey as to how to do it, so PM me if you want to know the process....

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal