2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183 - 27/04/05 01:45 PM POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i don't have an x yet, but i'd love you hear your storys, and lessons learned!

#184 - 27/04/05 03:25 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not an offroad stuck, but stuck nevertheless. In Miramichi, New Brunswick Canada, my engine stalled in my YJ (picture of similar one below) going up on the bridge. I was able to coast almost to the top of the bridge(picture below) and then stopped. This is a 2 lane bridge with 2-way traffic. The f$% thing would not start back. The driver of the car behind me helped me push it a 100 feet or so to go far enough to be able to coast down to the other side. In a matter of minutes, I caused a line-up that was about 2 miles long. I got all sorts of look from the cars that drove by once I was parked off the bridge.

Since then, I say [Finger] to any Dodge Chrysler. There dealership network is worst than their vehicles. 4 days after this, I was driving a Honda Civic, imports rock.

It stalled because of an electrical problem, the dealer was not able to fix it so I got rid of it. I met the guy that bought my YJ from the dealer and he had the same problems as me. The problem went away after he got stock in tall grass and the grass caught on fire on the exhaust. The vehicle was not damaged too much by the fire, they just had to replace all the wiring harness.

#185 - 27/04/05 04:13 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Also not an offroad stuck but...

I got a 1981 Datsun 210 rear wheel drive stuck in snow in my brother's perfectly level, plowed driveway. There was no one else around and the only shovel I had was from his fireplace and was apparently made of tin foil from the way it bent into a useless pretzel. I actually had to call a tow truck to get pulled six inches to get out.

#186 - 27/04/05 04:40 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh god, too many to choose from! Hmmmm, how about a top 10?
10. Crossing Guenella Pass in sub zero blizzard, blasting snow drifts on side of road at 50MPH, hit a 3' boulder, flew through the air. Bent tie rod, cut rim IN HALF!(dont try in an X, that was a Montero)
9. Got stuck above Idaho Springs taking a shortcut to Central City, while on call, pager went off, first date with a girl, tracks on OTHER side of drift only a few hundred feet away. Hours of winching and all the restraunts were closed in central city already.(another trip in this area resulted in a tow, and a completely sunk tow truck!)
8. Pulled off the highway at Comb Ridge and blasted down a creek to see some ruins. Road went in and out, I stayed in, forgot to lock hubs, and it WAS quick sand.
7. Another out of order. Climbing Mt Blanca SOLO, I continued up AFTER being told of 2 deaths at Jaws II.(blood in the creek even) Everybody abandoned the mountain except 2 backpackers after the deaths.(they were headed down also) It hailed 8", I broke a trailing arm. The next day I was mired due to the broken trailing arm on Jaws 2.5, and had to have the local 4x4 club dome get me off.(had no high lift)
6. Another out of order. Descended Spring Bottom after a MAJOR washout, had to gas it sideways across a cliff face 100+ ft up. Got to the bottom and mosquitos were so thick I WAS UNABLE TO SLEEP IN THE TENT. The next day I debated flagging down a river rafter(however many days that might be), but made it out nearly rolling 2X.(worse judgement call ever wheeling)
5. Whoops, out of order. Tried to find another "where the tours dont go" guide book secrets, into Ten Mile!. Despite the vehicle gate and marked 10' of trail, it was a HORSE trail, descending extremely steep slickrock, ending in a 120', nearly 90 degree off camber drop. Passing ATVs used block and tackle and counter weights to help me down.
4. About half way down the Big Sluice a boulder rolled under my frame, I gased it, spinning me around 180', dropping my front bumper on a 6' high boulder, and my back on a 4' ledge. Had to jack the TIRE on one side while winching, and with the usual Big SLuice traffic.
3. Tried to help friend get unstuck from the side of a cliff in a dead end mule trail, he did not spot me properly as I got into position and I also went off the edge. Took 2 high lifts a day to pull the vehicles off, after only finding a gigantic Ford P/U that could only get us a few miles from it, and we had to carry the highlifts the rest of the way.
2. Set parking brake on the graded road to Bull Canyon, it gave way while I was out of the vehicle posting a sign, and the truck rolled off a clifff, becoming totaled.
1. Somewhere near Buena Vista Colorado I became stuck in a snow drift sideways on a cliff, trying to get up to a lake in June and ended up LOWERING my truck off with the winch.

#187 - 27/04/05 04:43 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Since then, I say [Finger] to any Dodge Chrysler. There dealership network is worst than their vehicles. "

This prompted me to post my "most stuck" story (not an X) and go on a little rant...

Our 96 Sebring convertible was "stuck" right outside our house. Transmission totally jammed/screwed. Had to have it towed to the dealership. They replaced some part, but did not do the repair right and it had to be towed again a few days later. This time we asked they give us a loaner car while it was in the shop for a few days. They refused even though THEY screwed up the repair. They were rather biligerant and so my wife got biligerant right back at them.
Wife: can we get a loaner?
Dealer: No.
Wife: Let me ask you again - can we get a loaner? This is your fault, can't you help us out?
Dealer: we can't give you one
Wife: so when is the loaner gonna be here?
Dealer: I said we can't get one.
Wife: So it will be here in a few minutes, right?
and so on and so on.
They finally provided a free rental the next day.

Now - compare that to my nissan experience:
'94 Pathy was in for a major break job - while doing that they found a broken suspension part up front and wanted to keep it an extra day while the part was ordered. (I know this was legit because the truck drove a thousand times smoother after the part was replaced):
Me: can I get a loaner?
Dealer: Yes.

These patterns were seen over and over again - good from the nissan dealer, bad from the Chrysler dealer.

We used to get stuck a lot with the sebring from various transmission/electrical problems in the few years we owned it. Never got stranded anywhere with the Pathy in 11 years.
Needless to say, the Sebring is gone and on 05X has joined our Pathy in the driveway.
That Chrysler dealer is the best sales tool Nissan could have!

#188 - 27/04/05 05:25 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
stuff
Remind me to never lend you my truck. laugh

#189 - 27/04/05 05:47 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
Quote:
[b]stuff
Remind me to never lend you my truck. laugh [/b]
Indeed.

#190 - 27/04/05 06:46 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh jeez, I've gotten stuck in my 240z more times than I can count, ironically it only happens when my longtime girlfreind is in the car. The worst was probably in Oklahoma in between Oak city and Lawton on a desolate stretch of freeway. The car ran fine, every day, the whole way from WA to OK. As soon as my girlfreind flies in to see me it decides to go on the fritz. It just stopped, at 60mph on a 70mile stretch of road with nobody around. I spent a couple hours trying to figure it out and finally ruled it down to the ignition coil. Fortunately I'd been doing some ignition work that week and had an extra coil in the back, swapped it out and it ran fine all the way back to Altus. The Z hates the girlfreind.

The Xterra I haven't gotten stuck.... yet. Almost rolled it once though on a muddy dirt road. It was running fine until I hit a point that had a nasty incline to the left and for some reason the mud turned into wet clay. No traction whatsoever. The car just slid into the ditch on the left and leaned friggen hard! I was able to work down the ditch and get the car out onto a dryer section of road. The bad news was that I had to backtrack over the same section. This time I hit it going about thirty and slid the sucker with all 4 wheels spinning for about 100 feet to get through the clay and back to the mud. Scared the crap out of me I thought I was going to be spending the night on my side in the ditch.

#191 - 28/04/05 09:53 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo. I was doing doughnuts in the parking lot of the church that is right down my street. I was backing up and my tires were spinning, there was about 2 inches of ice underneath the 4 inches of snow. Suddenly my tires caught some traction and the next thing i new, I had backed into a 5ft snow drift. I was in snow past my rear tires and could barely get out of the car. I had to call a tow truck to pull me out.... although I did manage to hit 140mph before my tires suddenly caught....

#192 - 28/04/05 10:25 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

A friend of mine and I where wheeling in an old quarry that he had been in a thousand times with his CJ5 (was broken at the time so he was with me). We had been through every mud pit in the place except one. We don't usually even try it...it's deep and is some real gumbo mud. But it hadn't rained in like 2 weeks and there was very little water...in fact we had never seen it this low before. So we decided to give it a shot. We entered the puddle just fine...good speed, and good everything...so we thought...we where in the exact middle of the puddle when we just sunk...I mean the whole truck just sunk...luckily the passenger side was deeper so my tailpipe was just above the water and my intake was in the same boat, just above the water...so we tried to get out a few times but no luck...so we had to call for help. We sat on the roof for about an hour just waiting. Finally our other buddy showed up and just started laughing...turns out he had gone through the same puddle the day before in his CJ7 with 38" Boggers...we where high centered on his ruts...he pulled us out and all was good.

#193 - 28/04/05 10:32 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
I was wheeling out into the deep sand in the inlet between Atlantic City and Brigantine NJ. There were maybe 50 people standing around. All of the sudden the X just stops. It will not go backwards or forwards. The sand was pretty loose and deep.

Caution: stupid moment coming.

I get out of the truck to analyze my situation and notice that only my rear wheels are dug pretty deep. Thats when it hits me, I forgot to engage the 4 wheel. [Too much XOC]

I get back in and sheepishly put it in 4 low, put it in gear and drive off. :rolleyes:

Always make sure you are in 4 wheel drive. [Freak]

#194 - 28/04/05 10:46 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Cobrastrike Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Not my X - the Pathy I used to have before.
Didn't realize it at the time, but the landing cracked the tie rod. Fortunately it held up until I got home. Unfortunately, it let go as I was driving through the city.

Worst off-road stuck was in Alberta on the Ghost trails many years ago. Met a mud hole that sunk me to the frame rails. Had to get a 4x4 wrecker to come in and winch me out.

#195 - 28/04/05 10:53 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll try to find a picture later, but I accidently got my 1970 Barth Motorhome stuck in the mud up to the frame. With a lot of jacking and putting it back down on 2x6 peices of wood and the help of a 4" diameter oak tree and 2 come alongs we were able to get it out.

I'll never do that again.!

#196 - 28/04/05 10:54 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Smith Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
One night I was in Louisville wheeling. It was really muddy, it had rained for about two weeks straight. After following the trail for about 25 or 30 miles I ended up in an old run down trailer park.

I noticed a light was on in one of the most dilapatated trailers there. Being that I had been in the truck for a while I really had to take a dump. I thought I would see if they would be so kind as to let me use the toilet. When I knocked on the door an older somewhat attractive woman opened the door and invited me in.

After finishing my business, I thanked the woman and told her I would be on my way. She jumped off the couch and said not so fast. No one uses my restroom for free. Being as I had no money on me I was getting nervous. At that point she said if I didn't have any money I would have to find another way to pay her. She stated that she hadn't been with a man in 2 years and she was tired of waiting.

She stripped off my clothes and threw me on the couch. She started giving me a lap dance telling me that she used to be a stripper before her son was born, seems her son was born a tad "slow" and she had to be home with him 24 hrs a day. He even had to wear headgear whenever he was awake.

I'll spare you the graphic details but during our "activities" I became stuck inside of her. I was horrified, no matter how hard I tried I could not seperate us. She then stated that she had some crisco oil in the kitchen that we should try. So I walked backwards in to the kitchen with her still attached, her doing a version of the crab walk.

After I got us unstuck I was washing my hands when I noticed some drawings on the fridge, they were signed by several of her children ( I thought she only had one). Evidently she had three boys because the pictures were either signed Love Spanky, Love Tonka, or Love Ross.

So that's my most stuck moment ever. I have not been back to Kentucky since, nor do I plan too. [Uh Oh !]

#197 - 28/04/05 11:32 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'm... uh... a little disturbed now [Huh?]

#198 - 28/04/05 11:44 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow.........

#199 - 28/04/05 11:55 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

There was one time that i was in my frontier and we were on campus at the university of dallas. Well it was like 1 am an we were out with these girls at their dorm and we decided to get a bite to eat. Well i figure it would be easier to cut across the grass through the parking lot rather than drive around the whole campus to get where i needed to go. The only problem was that ther wasa small drainage dich that cut across the grass. I asked my friend if it was deep and he said, "no but it has been raining for a while so hit it hard so we dont get stuck. So i floored it well it turned out that the dich was waist deep an my front suspensin was fully extended in the dich not grabing anything and my frame was resting complitly on the edge of the dich with my back tires in the air. Well my friend that i was with went and go his cj7 (with a chevy 350 in it) to pull me out. just was we were trying that the campus security showed up and laughed their asses off (and gave us each $100 tickets)by the end of the night it took my friends jeep conected to a huge tow truck on the parking lot to rip my fronter free from the ground....Now we party at my college b/c University of dallas probably doesnt want us there.

#200 - 28/04/05 12:07 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
M998, a 2LT, a Mud Hole...burned up one Warn 9K winch and finally had to hauled out by a HEMTT wrecker with a 60K winch. Camera was lost in the mud hole!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#201 - 28/04/05 12:31 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wait.....can we go back to the story of the trailer guy. Can I just say....what the F*** is that about. Please tell me that is a fictional tale.

#202 - 28/04/05 12:54 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

me n my buddy were out driving, and we spotted a very nice set of trails, nice and muddy, we were doing great, and then we came up to this water crossing, we got out, stuck a stick into it to see how deep it was, seemed fine...4lo....no sooner we go in, that we get stuck right in the middle, i look out my window and the step rails are under water, and im shooting a huge rooster tail up, i climb out, hop on a big slab of ice on the site, and it looks like the X is a boat, all 4 wheels were in the sand, yea the bottom was sand, i didnt feel it just poked it, it was on a slight angle so the engine was still dry, the whole body was just clear of the water so i got lucky, but this is where the fun started, we were alone (i know dumb move) so i called my bro-in-law cuz he has a cherokee and a buddy with a old yota pickup, they get there and laugh cuz my X looked like a boat, there was no way to the trails ahead of us other than going all the way around since i didnt have a rear tow hook, so we tried that to get a better pull, we went around and the jeep bottoms out on mud...luckily a bunch of guys on ATVs were driving by and helped us out the entire ordeal, long story short we park the jeep, the yota wasn't much help and the atv's couldnt pull a 4000lb rig, so i get a tow strap that i have and we pull the yota back around where we first started, behind the X, but i was in ice cold water for what seemed like forever rigging the strap up around the rear part of the frame, i finally get it done, the yota pulls and nothing happens, so since im sitting there freezing in drenched clothes, an ATV guy actually gave me his sweat pants and socks that were under his snow pants, i was still stuck so then 2 other ATV guys show up, one guy goes either a tow truck or i'll go get my hummer, he goes and gets his H2, a few pulls and he gets me right out, fellow 4wheelers are really great people and i dont know where i'd be right now had they not showed up,the X was great,taught me a good lesson to not go out go out alone, and follow the link there, youll see what it was like, sat there for like 3 hours just idleing, DONT WHEEL ALONE!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/304989474ilMmyb

#203 - 28/04/05 01:16 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see a lot of people going through mud in 4lo...I have never had a problem in 4hi...I almost think it's better because I can keep those tires moving (paddling) faster and keep my momentum.

#204 - 28/04/05 01:43 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Tonka Ross Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Smith:
After I got us unstuck I was washing my hands when I noticed some drawings on the fridge, they were signed by several of her children ( I thought she only had one). Evidently she had three boys because the pictures were either signed Love Spanky, Love Tonka, or Love Ross.

So that's my most stuck moment ever. I have not been back to Kentucky since, nor do I plan too. [Uh Oh !]
And you left the light on in the bathroom and the seat up, you bastard!! Momma was maaaaaddd.

Momma says her virginia don't hurt so much any more since your last visit, but we have been sittin' on the front porch waitin' for ya to come back, Smitty (that's what momma calls you).

I lie awake at night and hear momma crying your name, lookin' all tired in the mornin' before she leave for the unemployment office to pick up her check.

We miss you, and wish you would come back to visit, but you don't return momma's calls, and she is so depressed now that all she does is sit around and eat potted meat and vienna sausages. A call from you would really cheer her up.

PS - Are you my new daddy?

[Finger]

#205 - 28/04/05 01:50 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
Quote:
[b]stuff
Remind me to never lend you my truck. laugh [/b]
THATS a safe bet [Finger] Its actually kind of funny...I will lead nearly stock rigs on the Rubicon, yet because of my idiotic driving I will get stuck worse then anyone [LOL]
" Gee honey, wonder if we can make that extreme line hardly anyone takes " :rolleyes:

#206 - 28/04/05 02:10 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Canadian5150 Offline

Pics people - where are the bloody pics?

#207 - 28/04/05 02:35 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Pics people - where are the bloody pics?
i had a link, dont know if you saw it or not in my post

#208 - 28/04/05 03:45 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright then - here's mine:

Back a few years ago I had my 1990 Ford Taurus station wagon. Me and my buddy were driving around the far northwest burbs here. The road turned kinda narrow and there were nothing but farms on either side. Initially we were looking for this guy's house but got lost. Once I started noticing the farms on both side of the narrow road I figured it was time to turn around and back track.

I'm trying to pull a 3 point (Y) turn when my right front tire slips off the pavement. All of a sudden I feel the nose of the car dive down and the ass come up. I force the door open only to put my whole foot half knee deep in mud.

Freakin' great... My friend gets out through my side of the the car since the bottom of his door in completely in mud and he couldn't open it.

Here's the picture. I was in the middle of the 3 point turn when my right front wheel slipped off the road into literally bottomless thick mud. The road that I was on had no lights and the shitty lights of the rusted Taurus could not have helped me see any better.

The right front corner of the car was completely in mud. The whole headlight and a small part of the hood were all in mud. The left rear tire was in the air and was about at the level of my belly button, that said keep in mind that I'm 6"7'. The car itslef was resting on the frame, right around the middle.

We went to nearby houses to see who possibly had a truck and some recovery gear, however when we told people that it was an old Taurus they all refused to pull me out stating that they don't want to be responsible for any damage caused to the car, which is understandable in that case. I remembered that at the time I had AAA membership on the car and it includes a few free tows. Called the tow truck. About 2 hours later the truck arrives. Driver gets out the truck and looks at it for a second or to. "How'd THAT happen?" was pretty much the response of the huscky lady that was the truck driver.

About 30 mins later and a lot of frame scraping from the Taurus I was free. Drove out of there throwing mud the next mile or so. Closer to the house (it was about 4 am at that time) pulled into a gas station, used the squigee (sp?) to sorf of clean up the mud that was thrown all over the side and windows and went home.

Lesson learned - Taurus is not a mud bogger and I needed better lights.

#209 - 29/04/05 10:10 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a couple. First stuck:

Swampy, slick crap. Saw two sets of ruts parallel to each other sharing a common rut (total of 3 ruts in this area), and I tried to stradle them. Hit the gas just a tad too hard, pulled the front to the right and into the ruts, and the back end slipped into the other ruts.

Second stuck:

Basically, what happened here is I was the only one that tried taking the trail on the top of a hill. It was snowy and slick. The truck started slipping sideways (backend first) down the hill. The one winch that was there was busted, so he unwound his winch, snatched it to a tree and used it as a tow strap. The rest of the guys on the trip tied a couple tow straps together and tied it to the trailer hitch and they acted as an anchor while the Jeep with the broken winch pulled me up. Whether it worked or not, I'm not sure, but I didn't get any body damage from the trees that were 4 inches from my front driver side door laugh

#210 - 29/04/05 11:48 AM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I figured I give a run down.
Stuck:
94 Nissan P/U in snow.
70 Barth Motorhome in Mud.
66 VW in Sand (Many Times)
74 Pontiac Grand Prix in Sand
80 Mazda Rx7 in sand
85 Dodge Colt on a Dyke

2003 X, Not stuck yet. !

Just wish I had pictures of them all and an internet connection at home that was still working. DAMN COX "Always on" :rolleyes:

#211 - 29/04/05 01:44 PM Re: POST YOUR MOST STUCK MOMENT EVER!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm thinkin Jorge, Logan or Axle have the title of worst stuck all tied up... my vote is to logan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal