2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183382 - 20/11/00 05:18 PM Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
epolta Offline

Loc: San Diego CA, USA
I believe someone has reported this problem in the past, but I haven't been able to find the thread. I am hearing a crackling sound (sounds like wind blowing through the roof and paper rustling in the roof) It is just above the area where the seatbelt attaches to the cab. I believe someone listed a solution to the problem but I can't find it now. Any suggestions? I also have a loose screw rolling around behind the dashboard. Dealer spent 6 hours today and couldn't find it - Ugh!!! Other than that great truck!

thanks for the suggestions and help
Epolta

#183383 - 20/11/00 05:35 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
ah, the famous "rice krispies" sound. I don't have the sunroof, so I haven't payed any attention to the solution, but I seem to remember people sliding index cards or something in between the headliner...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#183384 - 20/11/00 05:38 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
ah, the famous "rice krispies" sound. I don't have the sunroof, so I haven't payed any attention to the solution...

Brent

I don't have the sunroof either but I DO have the noise on occasion. The solution was many moons ago on the other board and mine wasn't making the noise at the time.

There's a TSB on diagnosing squeaks and rattles, wonder if it's covered there. Anyone know where to get the full text of the TSB's?

Thanks,

Russell

#183385 - 21/11/00 09:44 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
jawilly20 Offline

Loc: Nooksack, WA, USA
I was just getting ready to post on this same issue when I saw this. I get overly pissed at this annoying sound, it drives me crazy. If anyone knows how to fix it let us know!!

#183386 - 22/11/00 01:52 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
There is a thread currently on the first page over at the ITW message board on this very subject, started by the same person (Epolta). I'm thinking with a slight slowdown in posting due to the upcoming U.S. holiday, that thread will probably be on the first page for at least a couple more days.
http://www.insidetheweb.com/usr/local/itw/docs/messageboard/mbs.cgi/mb428752

"Rice Crispy Crackle in ceiling of SE Xterra" is the thread.

#183387 - 23/11/00 07:20 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
nXs Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, MB Canada
I bought a 2001 Xterra SE last month and I am experiencing the same thing. I brought to the dealer for the second time. This time they kept it for three days. The CRACKLING noise is still there I will be bringing it back. Is there a panacea? Help me please.

nXs

#183388 - 24/11/00 09:47 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
Ruttiger Offline

Loc: NJ
I'll just post the same reply as I did at the ITW board

Quote:
1/2" Poly Foam Caulk Saver by Frost King

Actually, that's probably the best description of what I heard coming from my sunroof. It drove me nuts. What it is, (was for mine) is there's movement between the ceiling board and the sunroof rubber gasket-ring whatever it is.

1/2" is too fat, but I just cut it in half w/an Xacto. Just pull the gasket away from the ceiling, stuff it around inside and put the gasket back - real snug. No more noise for me. You get 20' of it for $3 at Home Depot.

Good luck

Hope it helps. An irrepairable crackling noise in my 99.5 VW Jetta drove me insane and led me to trade it in for my X. Well, besides the fact that the X is simply the X.

#183389 - 28/11/00 06:15 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Just wanted to say I tried the Frost King Caulk Saver method, and it seems to have worked. I still have a bit of a squeak, but the overall number and volume of the rice-crispie sound went down by 85%. Great tip, thanks a lot!

p.s. I was only able to find 3/8" at my Home Depot, but I just trimmed 1/3 of it off and it seems to work fine.

[edit] Since this thread got brought back to the top, I must amend this message--this trick worked for about a month, then ALL the squeaking came back (as did colder weather.)

[This message has been edited by gothamist (edited January 23, 2001).]

#183390 - 22/01/01 09:26 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
Hank Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
I have a sunroof (skyroof to be technical), but I'm getting this rattling above and behind my left ear, not my roof. It sounds like it's coming from the seat belt, but I can't quite pin the sound to a specific location. Does anyone have this sound or have a solution? Thanks!!!

------------------
Hank
2000 Yellow SE 4x4 5 Spd.

#183391 - 26/01/01 01:01 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
Tom_S Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, TX
I have the "rice krispies" sound, but intermittently. It's not coming from the sun roof. I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the driver's door outside trim molding - the plastic molding into which the window slides.

If I roll down the driver's window slightly and just press this molding with my fingers, I can duplicate the sound. Just knowing the origin of the sound makes it less irritating to me, but if I wanted to fix it, I'd probably put a little silicone sealant between the molding and the door.

------------------
--Tom
2001 SE 4X4, Black

#183392 - 30/01/01 01:56 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
mikkip13 Offline

Loc: Odon, Indiana 47562
Well, I took my X in to fix the "Crackling" for the second time and am now going in for the third time in two weeks. Supposedly it will never go away completely according to the dealer. We just happened to get a survey on how our service was so we called the number and they didn't buy what the dealer said either. Not only did they feed us crap, there's black stuff all over the liner.

------------------
mikki
2001 Goldrush SE 4X4

#183393 - 02/02/01 11:19 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
I have a sunroof (skyroof to be technical), but I'm getting this rattling above and behind my left ear, not my roof. It sounds like it's coming from the seat belt, but I can't quite pin the sound to a specific location. Does anyone have this sound or have a solution? Thanks!!!

I think I know what you mean. I first started noticing the sound after I adjusted the seat belt height, but it doesn't seem like it's coming from there when I mess with it now. Unfortunately, mine only makes the sound when I'm going over 50-55 mph, and I can't mess with anything while I'm driving, so I can't pinpoint it. My limited attempts to "pound" the sound away haven't worked so far...

------------------
Mindie
2001 Silver Ice
4x4 Automatic SE

#183394 - 02/02/01 10:04 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
Hank Offline

I get so frustrated sometimes and I'll pound the seatbelt area to get the noise to stop, but nothing works. It'll rattle between the speeds of 30-60. It also tends to rattle when going over bumpy areas. I don't even want to attempt to take it into the dealer here; they'll just say something like, "We can't hear it" or "that's something we can't do anything about." Man I hope I can find out what this sounds is.

------------------
Hank
"Asian Persuasion"

[This message has been edited by Hank (edited February 02, 2001).]

#183395 - 06/02/01 06:03 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
wmatt140 Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
My solution was to spray a foam filler in that space. This is done by peeling back the rubber trim. Spray a little at a time as it expands. The result was no more "Rice Crispie" sound. There are several brands one of which is call "Great Stuff". This is an old problem and I don't recall anyone having success at the dealer.

Good luck,

------------------
Wayne
2000 Solar Yellow SE 4X2

#183396 - 28/02/01 05:27 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
mikkip13 Offline

Loc: Odon, Indiana 47562
Well, my crackling is finally fixed...and by the dealer. It took three trips but it's finally ok again. They used this black stuff that has seemed to work but I have no idea what it is. We had to take it back to get the liner cleaned but it's doing great now.

------------------
mikki
2001 Goldrush SE 4X4

#183397 - 01/03/01 05:07 AM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
Mojo Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Quote:
Originally posted by mikkip13:
Well, my crackling is finally fixed...and by the dealer. It took three trips but it's finally ok again. They used this black stuff that has seemed to work but I have no idea what it is.

Do you have a better description of what they did?

------------------
Mojo
Austin, TX
2001 Xterra SE 4x4
Super Black with silver Waag brushguard

#183398 - 01/03/01 06:41 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
TKNice Offline

Loc: Cooksville, MD '01 Gold Rush S...
I would love to know as well. I have tried my best to ignore it. Please be as descriptive as possible. Thanks!

-Tom

------------------

#183399 - 06/03/01 07:39 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
TKNice Offline

Loc: Cooksville, MD '01 Gold Rush S...
I keep checking this thread everyday for a response...nothing once again. I hate those damn rice krispies!

-Tom

------------------

#183400 - 06/03/01 08:50 PM Re: Crackling sound above drivers left ear?
Hank Offline

It almost sounds like the window rattling; or it sounds like there's this little piece of plastic just rattling around in there just to annoy me. VERY VERY frustrating...Tom, you want to trade X's?

------------------
Hank
"Asian Persuasion"

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal