shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184123 - 02/06/04 10:20 AM Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi I need some opinions please. I recently bought my X and the dealership offered me an extended warranty of 7 years/100,000 miles with 0 deductible (SecurityPlus - Gold) for $1599. Most of the Nissan dealership here in San Diego is Mossy and they pretty much have the same rate in all their locations. That is why I thought it was a good deal at the time but then realized it is rather expensive. I would like to know if I can get this cheaper at other places and if I should cancel it. According to the contract I have 2 months to cancel without any penalty. So is this an average price? or I could get a better deal?

I also found out that they have an incentive of $500 for new graduates. This was never mentioned by my dealer and would like to know if it is possible for me to still get it after all the paperworks has been signed. I got my financing through Nissan so I'll probably just give them a call.

Please advise. MANY THANKS!

#184124 - 02/06/04 11:00 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Go here: http://maximastore.com/ext/order.html

And talk to Josh Keevan at Marlboro Nissan. They do internet sales on extended warranties. My aunt works for Mossy and I was able to get a better deal with Marlboro. Lots of people on this board have used them as well.

#184125 - 02/06/04 11:51 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow thanks for the link...$995 that is a pretty good rate. I'd like to know if this is still the valid rate and if somebody got this from them recently. I called, but Josh is out. I'll try to contact him again and cancel my current warranty.

Thanks again!!!

#184126 - 02/06/04 04:26 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cataclyzm:
Wow thanks for the link...$995 that is a pretty good rate. I'd like to know if this is still the valid rate and if somebody got this from them recently. I called, but Josh is out. I'll try to contact him again and cancel my current warranty.

Thanks again!!!
The date on the website is almost always past due, but it's been like that for years. That's the price I paid some time ago. One thing to talk to Josh about is the deductibles. I believe the $995 deal has a $50 one. I haven't needed to use mine yet, but that's still better than getting stuck with a big repair bill. Also, FYI...that $995 price is only about 50 bucks over their cost - I checked through my Aunt.

#184127 - 02/06/04 05:39 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about $0. Save the money and go buy you a nice mod.

The odds are in your favor that: 1) you won't have any problems before 100K 2) If there are problems or faulty parts, failure will happen within the warranty period.

#184128 - 02/06/04 06:40 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Knoxterra:
How about $0. Save the money and go buy you a nice mod.

The odds are in your favor that: 1) you won't have any problems before 100K 2) If there are problems or faulty parts, failure will happen within the warranty period.
Tell that to one of my fellow SCCX members who has a $2000 electrical problem with less than 60k miles and no warranty. I look at it like insurance - you pay for it all the time, but are damn glad you have it when you need it. Repairs these days ain't cheap, and even something minor can run you over $500 easy.
One or two of those incidents in 6 or 7 years isn't something I bet against, especially if you wheel.

#184129 - 02/06/04 07:30 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

krisjon thanks for taking the time to ask your aunt about their rates... So you were saying that they have the same deal for about $50 less than $995. Which Mossy is she in? Can you hook me up with that rate? How much would they charge for a $0 deductible? I still need to cancel the one I have... and to do that I need to go back to the dealer.

This is my first time purchasing an extended warranty and I hope I am doing the right thing at getting one.

Thanks again.

#184130 - 02/06/04 07:48 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
This is my first time purchasing an extended warranty and I hope I am doing the right thing at getting one.
If you can't afford for a couple thousand dollars of repair costs to pop up, it probably isn't a bad deal.

I dunno - the only reason I got an extended warranty was for the 4x4 and the supercharger. The 4x4 because I just wasn't that familiar with it. If I would have paid attention I would have realized the 4x4 stuff is old tech that is very sturdy as long as you aren't stupid (and stupid stuff isn't covered by warranties anyway).

As for the supercharger, enough folks talked about having to get theirs replaced right at the end of the 30K factory warranty that it seemed like a good gamble to me to extend it out. Cheep insurance if the SC does tank.

If I didn't have the SC to deal with, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the extended warranty. On one hand, it is a nice security blanket. On the other hand, if you start to mod and/or offroad, the chances that you will have to hassle over the warranty if anything does go wrong goes up. For the most part Knoxterra is right, odds are if something breaks it will happen withen the factory warranty period. Just depends on if you are a gambling man or not smile

#184131 - 02/06/04 09:07 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

After recently passing the century mark with no repairs needed, outside of normal w/t maintenance, I called their bluff and won the pot.

Beware of non-OEM extended warrantees. Look for clauses that have something to effect of: "ACME Warranty Co. can use any means deemed necessary, at the sole discretion of ACME Warranty Co. to return the vehicle to good working order."
Is robbing parts off another vehicle acceptable? As long as the vehicle is returned to a "good working order" condition, and they deem it necessary, YES it is.

You'd be pretty po'd if something failed on your pretty X and you end up at Bobby Joe Jr.'s Garage because that's the only ACME authorized repair center in town. Or, even worse, they replace your spent (offroaded) transmission with a used one from the junk yard to get you by until the warranty ends.

As with any contractual agreement, be sure you READ what you're getting, and how you're getting it.

#184132 - 03/06/04 05:28 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

We're talking about Nissan OEM warranties though, and specifically, the best one they offer. It covers over 3000 parts on the vehicle and insures that a Nissan Certified Tech/Dealership does the work with only factory parts.

#184133 - 03/06/04 05:36 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

Quote:
krisjon thanks for taking the time to ask your aunt about their rates... So you were saying that they have the same deal for about $50 less than $995.
No. You misunderstood me. I checked with my Aunt and she informed me that Marlboro Nissan's internet price of $995 on the Gold Warranty 6/100 (with a $50 deductible) is only about $50 over actual dealer cost. That's why I know it's a fair deal for a good warranty. As far as which Mossy she's in, she was at El Cajon, but is out right now on long-term disability from surgery. However, in the meantime, I can definitely hook you up over there with the right mechanics and stuff when you need service. Good wrenches, especially at dealerships, can sometimes be hard to find.

#184134 - 04/06/04 11:15 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just talked to Josh Keevan at Marlboro Nissan. Hooked me up with the $995 Security+ Gold Extended Warranty. Very nice guy!!!

Thank you guys for all the help!

#184135 - 16/06/04 07:23 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got a few questions for you all. First, what's the major difference between the Silver and the Gold coverages? Is there a comparison chart or something?

Second, how do you guys purchase extended warranty over the phone? How does it work? Do they send you a whole bunch of papers to sign, or you just tell them what your credit card number is and then they just mail you the stuff?

Has anyone actually tried the Security+Plus warranty in action? How did it work out?

Thanks.

#184136 - 16/06/04 08:37 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by loka:
Got a few questions for you all. First, what's the major difference between the Silver and the Gold coverages? Is there a comparison chart or something?
http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/ServicePlanLanding

Quote:
Second, how do you guys purchase extended warranty over the phone? How does it work? Do they send you a whole bunch of papers to sign, or you just tell them what your credit card number is and then they just mail you the stuff?
You call a place like Marlboro Nissan (link in previous posts), talk to the guys, figure out what you want, fax or send them your name/address and vehicle info including mileage and VIN plus payment and you're done. Nissan sends you the paperwork in a few weeks.

Quote:
Has anyone actually tried the Security+Plus warranty in action? How did it work out?
Haven't needed to use mine yet, knock on wood (then again, I'm only at 40k miles) but it works with zero problems. My aunt is a Nissan service mgr. and I've seen it in action a million times. It's a factory Nissan warranty, so you get whatever is wrong fixed, pay a deductible if your specific warranty has one (usually $50 or less) and drive away. Simple as that.

#184137 - 18/06/04 04:07 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I used my Gold warranty when a leaf spring broke. It was a Sunday. Nissan arranged for a flatbed to come to my house within two hours and drove the truck 50 miles to the nearest dealer without me. Called the shop Monday morning, no questions, no problems, just had to wait for the replacement spring pack to come in. Total cost: $50.

Can't beat that with a stick. Now...if I just need another $600 or so in warranty repairs within the next 40,000 miles, I'll break even. :rolleyes:

#184138 - 13/07/04 12:06 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

When my wife and I bought our X we got the gold level extened warrenty that is good for 6 years/100,000 miles for about 1,500. so our total montly payments are 497.

It covers everything execpt wear and tear.

even if we never have to use it it the peace of mind to know that you have it.

#184139 - 15/07/04 07:11 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Warranty Direct
Very highly rated, use repair shop of your choice, rent car covered, towing, and if you never use it your money is refunded.

#184140 - 31/07/04 10:15 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also am looking for some help on this subject, my X is coming up on 36K and I am going to purchase an extended waranty on it (because of the 4X4 and S/C), I first went to my local Nissan dealership and they are trying to sell me a "First Extended Service Corp." waranty it is a 6yr 75K waranty for $1261.00. Has anyone ever heard of this company? U confused Until I called Marlboro Nissan (found it from a few other posts in this forum) I didn't even know it wasn't an actual Nissan waranty. Anyway Jim Wood from Marlboro Nissan offered me a "Security plus Gold waranty" for $942.00 with a $50 deductible, 6 yr 100K. I have never dealt with waranties before so I am a little hesitant when things seem a little too good to be true (cheaper) If anyone has got any info to put my mind at ease I would appreciate it, I need to purchase on by 2 August. Thanks confused

#184141 - 31/07/04 11:17 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
krisjon Offline

Not really sure what your concern is. The warranty sold by Marlboro is a genuine Nissan warranty, backed by the factory. Lots of us on here have them, whether purchased through Marlboro Nissan or not. I got mine through them because it was the best price for Nissan's top coverage. Just go for it. You're not dealing with some scheister, unknown warranty company or anything.

#184142 - 01/08/04 11:20 AM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info, I guess what my concern was that I wasn't sure why my local Nissan dealership was trying to sell me some waranty other than an actual Nissan waranty and why the actual Nissan waranty was a few hundred dollars cheaper, but after I kept reading everyones posts I do feel alot more comfortable with Nissan waranty. It still is strange to me that a Nissan dealership is promoting other companies rather than its own? Thanks for you help.

#184143 - 01/08/04 02:00 PM Re: Extended Warranty Questions
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Flynblueskies:
Thanks for the info, I guess what my concern was that I wasn't sure why my local Nissan dealership was trying to sell me some waranty other than an actual Nissan waranty [...] It still is strange to me that a Nissan dealership is promoting other companies rather than its own?
One word: Profit

They can make a higher margin (profit) on the third party warranty. Like has been pointed out, most extended warranties are never used so it's a great profit center for the dealer - they can often make more on the sale fo the warranty than they did on the sale of the vehicle.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com - great site, esp. if you want to learn why dealers do what they do...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal