2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184599 - 02/07/03 01:29 PM New Paint... hmmm.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I dropped my X off today to get a chunk I had taken out of it repaired. They will fill it and then blend the paint. Then reclearcoat the whole panel.

I asked the body shop how long untill I can wax it. They said as soon as you pick it up it can be waxed. They said because they bake on their paint it is good to go right out of the shop. There is no curing to be done, it is cured in the shop. He went on to explain the type of paint and why, ect.

Should I wait a month or two anyway before waxing it? Or should I just wax away. This is a reputable shop that gurantees their work for the lifetime of the vehicle. They are certified through my insurance company and everything. Been in the business for 22 years.

#184600 - 02/07/03 04:44 PM Re: New Paint... hmmm.
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
I recently had a minor fender bender done to my X, and took it to a reputable shop here in town, which they replaced and painted both fenders, and when I got it back, they told me not to wax it untill 60 days, roughly 2 months...and they are also lifetime guarantee...I guess I'll won't wax it till then, so there won't be any hassels with the guarantee....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#184601 - 02/07/03 06:55 PM Re: New Paint... hmmm.
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
The "don't wax new paint" is a hold over from the dinosaur technology of lacquer and enamel automotive refinishes. The urethane paints used today cure very rapidly and if cured in a bake booth at 140* F will be completely cured in 40 min to 1 hour. They are "cured" by a chemical cross linking and not "dried".

If you feel you must wait that's fine, but you won't hurt it if you do.

Got paint?

#184602 - 02/07/03 07:32 PM Re: New Paint... hmmm.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hope they don't melt my wind deflector at 140! I'll probably wait a month just to be safe.

#184603 - 03/07/03 07:00 AM Re: New Paint... hmmm.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
140 is nothing for plastic, it reaches that temp just sitting in the sun.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#184604 - 08/07/03 01:53 PM Re: New Paint... hmmm.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those bastards fixed my X perfectly! There was only a very minor chunk out of the paint but in order for them to blend it properly they had to blend the rear 1/4 and the rear door. Reclearcoated the door and 1/4 as well. Excellent work. You seriously can not tell the difference except for there is no wax on the area that was painted. I'll probably leave wax off of it for several weeks. They told me I was okay to wax it right away. I don't know if I should or not though.

#184605 - 09/07/03 09:06 AM Re: New Paint... hmmm.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Go ahead, modern paints fully cure in hours.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal