2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185155 - 13/03/01 08:33 PM Service Engine Soon/Tow hitch??
jbgeis Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Hi Everybody, My light came on tonight after monkeying with an electrical outlet under the passanger rear bumber. Supposedly, this is where I am supposed to insert the harness for the wiring of the tow hitch. Which brings up another point? Has anybody had problems figuring out the wiring of the tow hitch? I have the 5 speed manual tranny. I told the dealer that when I bought the harness. Why would this trigger the service engine soon light, even after I plugged the thing back in? Yes, my gas cap is tight. This light appeared after I unplugged the wiring. There is no question about that. All the lights worked on the entire car, even with the thing unplugged. What have I done?
(Don't flame me IAN, this is not covered anywhere in the forum, I checked this time!!)

------------------

#185156 - 13/03/01 09:35 PM Re: Service Engine Soon/Tow hitch??
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't know the answer regarding the wiring, but I don't think a towing place would charge much to do that for you (maybe $50?). If you don't have the proper lighting control box you could have a problem. FWIW, the control box runs about $20 and my towing place replaced mine for free when it whacked out way past it's warranty period, so I don't think it was such a bad deal paying someone to do the job.

As far as the check engine light is concerned, it should reset eventually as long as the problem has been fixed. A lot of cars need to be restarted a certain amount of times before the fault is erased and I'm guessing that's the way the X works.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by jbgeis:
Hi Everybody, My light came on tonight after monkeying with an electrical outlet under the passanger rear bumber. Supposedly, this is where I am supposed to insert the harness for the wiring of the tow hitch. Which brings up another point? Has anybody had problems figuring out the wiring of the tow hitch? I have the 5 speed manual tranny. I told the dealer that when I bought the harness. Why would this trigger the service engine soon light, even after I plugged the thing back in? Yes, my gas cap is tight. This light appeared after I unplugged the wiring. There is no question about that. All the lights worked on the entire car, even with the thing unplugged. What have I done?
(Don't flame me IAN, this is not covered anywhere in the forum, I checked this time!!)

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

#185157 - 16/03/01 10:36 AM Re: Service Engine Soon/Tow hitch??
Rumpy Offline

Loc: Bayside, NY
You could always read the trouble codes off the computer. If it is like the ones they used in the 240SX, you can read trouble codes by counting the blinking light on the computer. You can even reset it. My 240SX used to pop a code every once in a while and after the dealer charged me $150 to reset it I learned to do it myself. Someone with a service manual could probably post a list of trouble codes for you to use.

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal