2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185907 - 02/07/03 10:59 PM Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

...but I couldn't find anything to satisfy my question when searching.

I have Silvertar headlights and plan upgrading to PIAA Platinum whites in the fogs and parking lights to "match".

Question:
1. I have yet to see good install directions for the parking lights. I just see buy a 12 inch phillips head screw driver and that solves the problems. Anyone care to elaborate on the installation.

2. Changing fogs will require me to pull the housing out of the front of the truck. Do I have to reaim the fogs?

3. Is it worth just bringing these bulbs to the dealer to have them install and pay them the $. Everything I am reading spells painintheass for a do it yourself deed.

#185908 - 03/07/03 09:45 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
2 the X Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA.
Parking lights: You have to go through the wheel well and pull the liner out via the push "pins". . .once pulled back, you can reach up into the fender to get at the parking light. . .do it when its light outside so you can see clearly. . .

Fog Lights. . .there is a grey clip in the rear (disconnect that). . .there is one screw at the bottom of the light that holds the whole thing in place. Maneuver the light out of the bumper exposing I think 3-4 more screws on the light to gain access to the bulb. . .reverse the process. . .

Good luck with the bulbs. . .Have a similar set-up in my X-Terra w/ exception of the fog bulbs went with cheaper Hella super white fogs. . .found them at Autozone for ~20/pair. . .bulbs match pretty well. . .

Good Luck. Send me an e-mail if you need any more help

#185909 - 03/07/03 11:04 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was this process easy? Did you have to reaim the fogs?

BTW- I live close to Fairfax.

#185910 - 03/07/03 11:15 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
2 the X Offline

So far, no, I haven't reaimed the fogs. . .I tried to be very careful not to jostle the light too much. . .You should be fine with just changing the bulb.

#185911 - 03/07/03 11:16 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
2 the X Offline

If you need any help let me know, and I can meet up with you and lend you a hand. . .

#185912 - 03/07/03 11:35 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to place the order today. Should have them in a week or longer due to the holiday weekend.

I should be all right changing them. I would prefer not to break my X changing bulbs though. [Too much XOC]

#185913 - 03/07/03 11:38 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

One last question for you. When you replaced your fogs did they need the round connector seen here? http://www.xterraparts.com/Merchant2/mer...de=15455_WIRE-T

#185914 - 03/07/03 11:45 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
2 the X Offline

My Hella bulbs did not require that connector, they just plugged in. . .but if you do need them I would recommended using blunt end connectors with some shrink tubing to connect the wires when you switch the connectors to give it an almost water tight seal.

#185915 - 03/07/03 11:48 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the connector on them was what? Like the one that comes on the PIAA's or the one that comes extra with them (to add on if needed).

#185916 - 03/07/03 11:52 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Or better yet, do you have a link to the Hella's you use?

#185917 - 03/07/03 11:54 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
2 the X Offline

It's been a while since I installed them. . .I want to say that it was the flat connector that I used and not the round one. . .all I know is that I didn't have to change the connector on my Hellas. . .I'm sorry that I can't remember.

#185918 - 03/07/03 11:57 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
2 the X Offline

I tried to visit the Hella/Optilux site but there were no detailed descriptions/pics of the bulbs. . .I did get them at Advanced Auto parts actually. . .and if I remember they stock them. . .I don't know how different they would be from the PIAA's but for the price they match the Silverstars and the PIAA parking bulbs rather well

#185919 - 08/07/03 11:08 AM Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse (Fog and Parking Lights)
Anonymous
Unregistered

D,

I see exactly what you are talking about in terms of the pin and the plastic you need to pull back in the wheel well. How did you pop the "pin" out though? I tried pushing the ends together with my fingertips but to no avail. I'm trying not to damage it so I have to order a new one.

Thx

Edit: nm I got em both!

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal