2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187242 - 27/12/01 09:14 AM Do it yourself brake job
98Hotel Offline

Loc: Rockledge, Florida, US
Has anyone performed their own brake job yet? If there is another thread covering this topic could someone point me to it since I have been unable to find it.

Thanks,

#187243 - 27/12/01 10:57 AM Re: Do it yourself brake job
Neo Offline

Loc: Webster, Texas
I bought the metal-lux pads from Olympic online and took the rotors to a local shop to get resurfaced. Total cost was about $100. Of corse I had to buy a bearing packer and some other odd tools (22mm socket). Total time was about 3 hours, I did the rear shoes and drums too, I found the shoes local for about $20. The CD from Warmonger came in handy for the part numbers for the seals, the parts department at our local dealership is pretty retarted! Good luck, hope this helps!!

#187244 - 27/12/01 10:15 PM Re: Do it yourself brake job
Hawkeye Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs ,CO,USA
What are you doing? The front pads are a piece o' cake, 0.5 hrs max. Chances are the rears pads are perfect.
Now:
'04 Ttan LE CC
"Drink it up, this ones for you, it's been a lovely cruise"-Buffett

#187245 - 28/12/01 08:07 AM Re: Do it yourself brake job
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
he probably took the rotors out to be turned, they may not need it in your case, but while you are in there, you can also repack the bearings. I agree that changing the front pads is about a .5 hour job, I would give it an hour or more if it is your first time doing this on any vehicle.

#187246 - 28/12/01 11:08 PM Re: Do it yourself brake job
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
And buy a 8" C-Clamp for compressing the pistons on the front calipers. Makes the job alot easier.

Xterra101.com

#187247 - 30/12/01 07:20 AM Re: Do it yourself brake job
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
Thought I would add a couple of points,

As Warmonger has stated many times before, be careful not to loose or damage the thin o-ring that seals the hub. Another thing is to be careful to remove the fixed cam assembly as one piece. It's seems easy to try to remove it but if that compression spring that goes around the outside of the assembly pops off, it's a bitch to get back on. I tossed mine in the box of unwanted xterra parts when I put my manuals on. Later I noticed that one of them had come apart. When I put it back together, it was a PITA!

You can remove the whole assembly by GENTLY pulling on one of the six inner lobes of the assembly once the snapring is removed.

If you are replacing the pads and have never had the bearings repacked, and have had the front hubs submerged, you should repack the bearings too. The job isn't hard and Warmongers CD can easily guide you through the process. The new seals can be had by most autoparts places for around $7.50. Nissan charges $14.00 ea for theirs.

#187248 - 30/12/01 07:50 AM Re: Do it yourself brake job
Neo Offline

Loc: Webster, Texas
The only reason it took 3 hours is the fact that I spent 1.5 hrs at the parts store getting the rotors and drums turned (there was a line) and I had to get a few tools, like the c-clamp from Home Depot. Total time with messing with everything was 3 hours.

#187249 - 20/01/02 10:03 AM Re: Do it yourself brake job
radlad6 Offline

Loc: Ellijay, Ga
HELP! My wife is stranded now because I fixed her brakes.

I replaced the pads in the front of my 2000 Xterra and now I get no fluid to the front calipers. The back line on the mastercylinder has no output.

A ford mechanic (friend) told me that I have tripped my equalzer valve. He said he wasn't sure how to manualy reset it, but you could do it by driving it and slamming on the brakes. I have tried this and cannot get it to work. I have tried to purchase another Master cylinder from my local parts store, but they say it is not available yet.

Can someone offer suggestions please?

mad

#187250 - 20/01/02 02:17 PM Re: Do it yourself brake job
JayzX Offline

Loc: Sigonella, Sicily, Italy
I'm going to give you a nice piece of advice. Post this in it's own topic. You will get more help you start a new topic and have the subject line say, "Help, I damaged my brakes!"

No one can help you if you hide your questions.

I wish I could give you an answer on your question, but I don't have that kind of knowledge about the Nissan brake setup. Maybe you have a pocket of air trapped in your system. Have you tried bleeding the ENITRE system?

"What are you gonna make me do? Wack a guy? Off a guy? Wack-off a guy? Cuz I'm married!" - Peter (The Family Guy)

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal