2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188624 - 28/11/06 10:17 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used several websites as well as calling mobile and asking questions??? I also called 2 of my friedns that are mecahnics for BMW.

#188625 - 28/11/06 10:29 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

#188626 - 28/11/06 11:07 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Great link that discusses this HERE

Apparently it is true - and also very old news...

Quote:
In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified mineral oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils. To the best of my knowledge, Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline, and Motul 5100 are the only oils made from pure traditional synthetics.

#188627 - 28/11/06 11:33 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fact or fiction this should keep you busy for a few days

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Enjoy laugh

#188628 - 28/11/06 11:47 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am tempted to switch to Esso XD-3 Extra , Esso is owned by Exxon-Mobil. From what other local folks have been saying, it sells for half the price of Mobil 1 and it uses PAO for their basestock, but only on their 0w30 and 0w40 so I'm still researching if 0w30 can be used.

#188629 - 29/11/06 07:18 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Emailed ExxonMobil with the question:
"Is Mobil 1 Synthetic oil a Group III oil?"

Response:
"To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations) Mobil 1 uses high-performance synthetic fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAO), along with a proprietary system of additives. In fact, each Mobil 1 viscosity grade uses a specific combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its unique requirement."

A simple "yes" or "no" would have been nice

#188630 - 30/11/06 04:29 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

They told me over the phone the only convetonal oil that mobile 1 sees is in the pao transfer all the base stock is sythisized. I cant SPELL!!

#188631 - 30/11/06 01:10 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Here's what I got back from "Valvoline.com" when I asked them if Valvoline SynPower was made from group III base oils:

"Thank you for your message. Valvoline uses a mixture of various base oilsdesigned to provide the maximum performance for our SynPower line. All ofthe base fluids used in SynPower are synthetic. Some synthetic fluids are produced through a synthesis process that takesvery small molecules and assemble them into larger designer molecules withpremium lubricating properties. Others may be produced through a synthesisprocess that takes very large molecules, breaks them apart and re-arrangesthem to produce designer molecules with premium lubricating properties. Ineither case the end products are base fluids with extremely goodlubricating properties. However, all of them also carry with them certaininherent disadvantages. "

#188632 - 30/11/06 01:55 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

So neither Mobil or Valvoline will answer if they are Group III or not.

#188633 - 30/11/06 03:42 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I take all this evasiveness, "Secret formula" and "designer molecule" to mean "yeah... we're hiding something".

#188634 - 07/12/06 11:11 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I just became a distributor of AMSOIL.. I should have some Xterra product up soon. And they are less expensive than RP [Smile]

--------------------
Carlton
Sign me up...I could use some AMSOIL. My MTF tranny fluid is not cutting it anymore...I can't even find a Nissan dealer in San Diego that can tell me what kind of fluid to use (they started to pour ATF in my tranny when I took it to them to change the fluids. They still argue with me that ATF is supposed to go into the transfer case on a manual tranny X. wtf?)

#188635 - 07/12/06 03:44 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RockSkier:
Quote:
I just became a distributor of AMSOIL.. I should have some Xterra product up soon. And they are less expensive than RP [Smile]

--------------------
Carlton
Sign me up...I could use some AMSOIL. My MTF tranny fluid is not cutting it anymore...I can't even find a Nissan dealer in San Diego that can tell me what kind of fluid to use (they started to pour ATF in my tranny when I took it to them to change the fluids. They still argue with me that ATF is supposed to go into the transfer case on a manual tranny X. wtf?)
Not to argue with you, but the owners manual (at least on the 02) says:

Quote:
Transfer fluid 2-3/8 qt Nissan Matic ‘D’ (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN
Automatic Transmission Fluid or API GL-4. *4
-------
*4: DexronTM III/MerconTM or equivalent may also be used. Outside the Continental United States and Alaska contact an authorized Nissan dealership for more information regarding suitable
fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DexronTM III/MerconTM Automatic Transmission Fluid.
The service manual says:
Quote:
Transfer fluid (TX10A) 2-3/8 qt NISSAN Matic ’D’ (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid*2 or API GL-4 Viscosity SAE 75W-85 or 75W-90.

#188636 - 07/12/06 08:51 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RockSkier:
Quote:

--------------------
Carlton
The AMSOIL product you want is called MTG. That is the proper GL-4 lube for your transmission. I might purchase that when I feel it is time to change out the Castrol Syntorq LT I have in there right now.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#188637 - 08/12/06 03:19 AM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
Amsoil MTG is great stuff. I tried a couple of other gear lubes and ended up with very notchy shifting for my trouble.

#188638 - 13/12/06 12:34 PM Re: "100% Full Synthetic Motor Oil" facing extinction. :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Not to argue with you, but the owners manual (at least on the 02) says:

quote: Transfer fluid 2-3/8 qt Nissan Matic ‘D’ (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN
Automatic Transmission Fluid or API GL-4. *4
-------
*4: DexronTM III/MerconTM or equivalent may also be used. Outside the Continental United States and Alaska contact an authorized Nissan dealership for more information regarding suitable
fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DexronTM III/MerconTM Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Yeah I got all that...I guess I should have explained my frustrations (second time I've posted a comment on this subject). The part that pissed me off was that they tried to put ATF in my manual transmission, not just the transfer case. The tranny fluid is supposed to be MTF-1. Then, when I asked them what they were doing, they tried to tell me that ATF was supposed to go in the tranny and 75W-85 in the transfer. I haven't been too happy with their work, for obvious reasons. It took them 45 minutes to look up what fluid to use for the transmission, and then they told me that they don't even use MTF in their shop. Finally I got the new high school kid working there to look up MTF in their stock system and sell me a few quarts.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal