shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189109 - 16/09/06 08:24 PM How to question...
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
How do you adjust the steering stops?

I ask because recently my X felt like the driveline was crabbing while I was in 2wd while backing out of a parking spot with the wheels turned hard to the right. After further inspection, I found that my passenger side tire is rubbing against the brakeline shield when turned hard to the right before my steering stops touches the LCA (on either side).

Not my picture, but the one taken fron the How to Grease thread...

So, I know I need to adjust the steering stops out, but I'm not sure exactly how to, and don't want to just go blindly at it and snap the stupid things off.

Is it just wrenching on the steering stop, or is there a locking nut involved?

I searched, and found plenty of info on how to grease the steering stops (which will not fix this problem) but not how to actually adjust them (and torque specs, if applicable)

Any help and info is appreciated.

#189110 - 17/09/06 02:56 AM Re: How to question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Jeff,
All you need to do is hold the stop with a wrench and loosen the lock nut that is on the left in the picture that is against the steering knuckle. After the lock nut is loose turn the end of the stop that is on the right side in the picture to the desired adjustment. You might want to look at the stops to make sure that there isn't any excessive wear on the ends of them. also check that you don't have any abnormal wear in the pockets where the adjustment stops hit the pockets on the lower control arms. If you need any help you know my #. Good luck, Eric

#189111 - 17/09/06 07:20 AM Re: How to question...
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Thanks Eric - appreciate the info.

#189112 - 12/12/06 06:55 PM Re: How to question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used the handy search tool and found this topic! I was rubbing the shield after I installed my 33s. I turned the stops out a bit and now I'm not rubbing anymore. Worked great.

Here's some additional info:

lock nut - 22mm deep socket
steering stop bolt - 14mm
steering stop bolt cap - 20mm
steering stop bolt cap part # - 40039-2S610

You can adjust the steering stop bolt w/o taking the cap off if the bolt isn't too rusted/dirty. If it is dirty, your're going to have to PB Blaster it and pull the cap off b/c it will just spin and/or crack (like 3 of the 4 did for me). I used a claw hammer and pliers to remove the cap. Then a rubber mallet to tap the new caps on.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal