2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189452 - 16/01/06 03:23 PM How to Grease Steering stops
Anonymous
Unregistered

After a wheeling trip about 3 months ago I noticed a metal to metal type of click that happend when I would go up the curb into my driveway. I was stumped as to what was causing it. I check the front cross member (the nuts that attach the lower control arms to the front cross member, which can be seen looking under the vehicle from front to rear). The sway bar endlinks and the brackets to which they attach to the front cross member (located directly under the centerlink. I also check shocks, and upper control arms. Others on this board as well as Nissan4wheelers mentioned the steering stops, but as I looked at the front steering (located looking from the front of the vehicle back just inside the wheels, lining up with the lower control arm) they were grease and I even went as far as to replace them with new ones (the replacement part looks like the head of a nut with a white nylon type insert in the middle)still all seemed okay. But what I wasn't aware of and am shamed of not knowing but there are 4 steering stops (two on each side).
This is the Driver Side Front Steering Stop

This is the Passenger Side Rear Steering Stop

The Passenger side front steering stop and rear steering stops are in the same positions on the other side.

As you can see from the pics I took a large dab of this

and smeared it on both the "ramp" looking part on the inside and on the bolt looking part attached to the wheel.

Hope this helps those who may have similar symptoms.

#189453 - 16/01/06 03:24 PM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Imageshack is acting up so be patient, the links worked when I first posted.

#189454 - 17/01/06 06:35 AM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Here's mine if yours goes out again:

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#189455 - 17/01/06 10:24 AM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gbizzle, did greasing them eliminate that clunk sound you were getting? cuz i have a similar sounding "metal pop" if i go up a curb or over some rocks with a pretty full turn on the steering. it also happens sometimes with a good turn and the tires dropping down the backside of a rock or into a good dip.

#189456 - 17/01/06 10:26 AM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Gabe. [Wave] That was helpful. I went to give you five trucks but saw I had already given you five.

#189457 - 17/01/06 01:21 PM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
I cant believe I havent done this before. Ive been having the same problem but never bothered with it. Now that I see how simple it is I'll just go take care of it today. Thanks
SWXC Member #74

#189458 - 21/01/06 10:52 AM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
Anonymous
Unregistered

time for me to go do this agian, did it about 3 months ago and just started acting up again. All this snow/slush/rain washed it all out

#189459 - 21/01/06 11:48 AM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
Anonymous
Unregistered

would be nice to see this in the how-to section.

#189460 - 24/01/06 10:47 AM Re: How to Grease Steering stops
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
yankyfan100 -
Try some 'water proof' grease from a boat supply shop. Should last longer.

dave - not an issue for us anymore cool

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal