shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190040 - 12/02/01 04:58 PM Brighter reverse lights?
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Is it possible to replace the stock bulbs with brighter bulbs in for the reverse lights? Any recomendations?

Thanks.

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my blue X icon smile

#190041 - 12/02/01 06:17 PM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
I just had my tail lights apart yesterday to look at this and the bulbs are cheap "921" bulbs I think the most wattage you can get these in is 15 watts. Alot of people have put auxiliary lights in the back to help with the dismal lighting and tinted window. Ill post here if I come up with a plan JC Whitney sells 50 watt 1157 bulbs that don't have a big head like a normal one so maybe spice in 1157 holders from an auto parts store??

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
31" BFG M/T's, ARB, Rancho RSX's
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#190042 - 13/02/01 05:45 AM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Xterraparts told me over the phone that they have halogen backup bulbs for the xterra. Haven't gotten around to ordering yet, but you could give these guys a try.

#190043 - 14/02/01 09:26 PM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
i put the IPF backup light on my safari rack and it works VERY nice. the wiring harness alone is worth it.

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 02-14-2001).]

#190044 - 15/02/01 10:18 AM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Xrugger Offline

Synchro, Can you give me some more info on this? I don't have a rack, won't fit in under the garage door, would I be able to mount it right on the cross bar?

Any info would be appreciated.

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my green X icon smile

#190045 - 15/02/01 11:01 AM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
Synchro, Can you give me some more info on this? I don't have a rack, won't fit in under the garage door, would I be able to mount it right on the cross bar?

Any info would be appreciated.

Sure, you could use a Mighty Mount or zip-ties or whatever to mount it to the rear of your roof rack, just run the wires down through the rear hatch and into the reverse light wiring.

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com

Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#190046 - 16/02/01 10:10 AM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Xrugger Offline

OK that would bring up my next question. Any particular brand/model of light I should get?
And when running the wires? Do you drill a hole in the roof and run the wires through the pillar? Any one have an pics or diagrams of how to do this? I've never done much electrical on a car before.

Also are the web siteds for IPF and PIAA? Or any other companies that I might consider?

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my green X icon

[This message has been edited by Xrugger (edited 02-16-2001).]

#190047 - 16/02/01 01:53 PM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
SkiCalif Offline

Loc: La Selva Beach, CA
Lights? Here are a few options.
http://www.weathers.com/homepage.htm
http://www.overlander.com/pages_lighting/ipf_fr.tpl?cart=3063007254759822
http://www.4x4connection.com/

If you need more, let me know.

------------------
Patto
Silver 2001 4WD XE 3 Pak
ARB, 31" BFG AT KOs
F-Jackie

#190048 - 23/02/01 09:19 AM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
APP Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
that looks cool

------------------

#190049 - 23/02/01 01:12 PM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
OK that would bring up my next question. Any particular brand/model of light I should get?
And when running the wires? Do you drill a hole in the roof and run the wires through the pillar? Any one have an pics or diagrams of how to do this? I've never done much electrical on a car before.

Also are the web siteds for IPF and PIAA? Or any other companies that I might consider?

I use the IPF and it is pretty easy to install. you can ask philosopher, i am pretty green when it comes to wiring as well, but i did this one mostly by myself.

with the IPF there are 3 different directions the wiring goes from the switch. 1 goes to the battery, 1 to the tail light to splice into it and the other that goes to the light itself.

the switch i have under the dash to the left of the ECM(soon to be fully installed int he plastic there). the wire to the battery goes under the ECM and console over to the passenger door. out the passenger door opening under the weather stripping and then through that gap in cowling, then under the hood to the battery. it would be cleaner to go through the firewall, but i as i mentioned i am not that good with electrical stuff. the wire to the light itself is run under all the plastic trim inside the vehicle, behind the plastic panels in the cargo area and then out the hatch up the right side and then water channel to the light. Almost all of the wiring there is wrapped in curly plastic to keep the wiring packed together witha gap where the hatch closes over the wire. the last wire goes up the drivers side, under all the plastic stuff and then behind the plastic wall panels like the other one and then out through the tail light housing. there i splice into the reverse light.

with this setup, i can turn the light on anytime i want, only when in reverse or not at all. it is very handy. I am contemplating getting a little brighter bulb, but am not sure yet. i will know more once i relocate my rear tire, cause it is very illuminated in it's current position on my tire carier. once i have that fixd i will reaim and go from there.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

#190050 - 26/02/01 09:10 AM Re: Brighter reverse lights?
Xrugger Offline

Thanks for the info Synchro. Its the wealth of information like this that makes this place so cool.

I'm planning on trying to do this sometime once the weather gets warmer.

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my green X icon smile

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal